GDT Olympic Quarterfinals

eaglejelly

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ah looking at previous draft years can really kill you man. talk about monday morning QB

2002 nhl draft- 49 NJ-Barry Tallackson

50-CHI-Duncan Keith

I don't really get on GMs too much for unwise draft picks (Lou has had his share), especially in the NHL. Repeatedly bad trades though are another story.

I don't really get on GMs too much for unwise draft picks (Lou has had his share), especially in the NHL. Repeatedly bad trades though are another story.

The Parise thing really stood out in the Isles' case though cause his dad played for them and they eschewed potential goodwill for picking him. Not only that but the only real knock on Parise going into the draft was his size, and the Isles passed on him for another smallish forward, a less proven European guy - Nilsson.

Edited by NJDevs26

I thought bad coaching and maybe politics did the Russian team in. I thought Nabby should have been pulled after the 3rd goal, but he was kept in to let in atrocious 4th goal, and then I think the first two shots in the 2nd. No idea what the heck the coach was thinking. I also didn't understand why so many KHLers were put on this team. I didn't think Kozlov and Fedorov had any business being on an Olympic team, but there they were right after they both came back to the KHL this season (Coincidence?...I don't know).

You have all these superstar players, but here you have this coach using mostly all KHL players on the PP during the early games, when he should have used that time to build chemistry between all these superstars. He was giving these KHLers way too much ice time too.

With that being said, a lot of these superstars didn't have good tournaments including Kovalchuk.

As for the Canadians...about time it clicked, and they did it tonight without Crosby being a factor. I asked before the games who would be the breakout star, and I think it is pretty clear from those who have been watching...that the answer is Drew Doughty. This kid is an absolute stud. His poise on the PP is outstanding. He has great speed, a great shot, and is a great passer, but it was his defense tonight on Ovechkin that was most impressive. This kid should have multiple Norris Trophies before his career is done. He is sick. He led all Canadian players in ice-time tonight, and the scary thing is he just turned 20...2 months ago. He is simply ridiculous.

I thought bad coaching and maybe politics did the Russian team in. I thought Nabby should have been pulled after the 3rd goal, but he was kept in to let in atrocious 4th goal, and then I think the first two shots in the 2nd. No idea what the heck the coach was thinking. I also didn't understand why so many KHLers were put on this team. I didn't think Kozlov and Fedorov had any business being on an Olympic team, but there they were right after they both came back to the KHL this season (Coincidence?...I don't know).

You have all these superstar players, but here you have this coach using mostly all KHL players on the PP during the early games, when he should have used that time to build chemistry between all these superstars. He was giving these KHLers way too much ice time too.

With that being said, a lot of these superstars didn't have good tournaments including Kovalchuk.

As for the Canadians...about time it clicked, and they did it tonight without Crosby being a factor. I asked before the games who would be the breakout star, and I think it is pretty clear from those who have been watching...that the answer is Drew Doughty. This kid is an absolute stud. His poise on the PP is outstanding. He has great speed, a great shot, and is a great passer, but it was his defense tonight on Ovechkin that was most impressive. This kid should have multiple Norris Trophies before his career is done. He is sick. He led all Canadian players in ice-time tonight, and the scary thing is he just turned 20...2 months ago. He is simply ridiculous.

the KHL players, I don't have a rolodex of Russian players in front of me, but I think they're better than what was left. alright, maybe they threw Fedorov a bone, but Radulov and Morozov are good players. yeah, they made weird PP decisions, but really, so did the US, they kept throwing Kane and Kessel out there when Zach and Langs were the only line doing anything (and they were drawing the penalties)

edit: and Viktor is actually pretty decent in international play when they put him with better players

I'm just stunned by that result, I hoped Russia would roll them, but that's just a pathetic performance. I saw it when I was out to eat and I thought it was a typo. :lol:

looks like Canada will be in the gold medal game barring a Swedish goal in the last two minutes here.

and yes, Doughty is awesome, especially in comparison to the old man pairing

Edited by maxpower

Yessss! Slovakia does what it has to. Opportunistic on Henrik. And gritty defensive effort those final 10. Hossa also actually played well. Demitra's been a beast. And Gaborik has led along with Chara. Good for that country.

YEAH! Just got up after having watched the Canada - Russia game late at night, turned my TV on and got to see the final five minutes of the Slovakia game... 4:3, the Queen is getting the puck out of Vancouver!! :yea:

After the group stage I had a Rangers fan shoving some "insane" Lundqvist stats in my face and comparing them to the "Fatso". Lundqvist recorded 2 shutouts! (jerk, jerk!) Brodeur sucks! (jerk, jerk!)

Oh, yeah, how 'bout that? 4 goals on 14 shots... doesn't look like a hero performance to me. Keep on posting your shutouts in the group stage meaningless games against junior-caliber rivals, Hank! Cause when it mattered most in this tournament, you failed!

Sweden not winning the tournament was the priority for me. Now, let the things play out. Seeing Zach and Langs with gold medal would be awesome, Slovakia making an even bigger upset would be sweet, too, but even more unprobable. Canada winning it all wouldn't hurt in the end, I wouldn't like it that much without Marty in goal, but I wouldn't cry. Finland? I couldn't care less.

Edited by Revan

That was a lot of hockey to watch in one day.

Finland is going to be so tough for the USA to play against. They don't quit, they don't stop and they have good goaltending. They always show up when medals are on the line. Slovakia played an amazing team game, defensively they kept everything to the outside and Chara is a tower of power. Demitra is back, he looks like a superstar in the Olympics. Russia had no team defense, period. Canada struggles against defensive teams, Slovakia will have a chance if they keep it a slow boring game.

I can't even make fun of Ranger fans for Queen Suckfest blowing the game because they will say the same about Marty. Either way I can't wait to hopefully see this US team in a Metal round. I think Finland beat us last year so lets come out on FIRE WE WANT GOLD!!!!!!!

MEDAL round not Metal round