Devils Pick Up Rasmussen

sammyk

When I saw this, I was thinking to myself "Who are you and what have you done with the REAL Lou?" ;) But I kinda like the signing. Rasmussen was originally projected as a goal scorer / power-forward. Maybe Lou is just giving him a third chance as a project? He does have some skill. Does anybody know if the contract is one-way?

I'd still like to see Rheuame, Neuwy and Tivo resigned, though.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to say what's behind Lou's thinking here. Maybe this does say Rheaume won't be coming back, which I don't necessarily like.

Rheaume did refuse the Devils qualifying offer from Lou. So, you could say Pascal is gone.

Hard to say what's behind Lou's thinking here.  Maybe this does say Rheaume won't be coming back, which I don't necessarily like.

Rheaume did refuse the Devils qualifying offer from Lou. So, you could say Pascal is gone.

what are they paying Rasmussen compared to what they offered Rheaume, That's what I want to know.

Hey! Take that back! Don't go rippin' Turner or I will have to unleash the President of the Turner Stevenson "he played for me in juniors" Fan Club on you...Barry Melrose will give you a beat-down for talkin' like that...as for my two cents on my boy Turner...go check the Devils record for the games he played in during the ECF and the Cup versus those he had to sit out...

Easy, easy. I'm a huge Turner fan. Note the avatar, of Turner up-ending a Duck in the finals.

But the man gets hurt quite often. It seems it's almost a given that he'll get injured during the season. I would love to see him prove me wrong and stay in great shape the whole season through.

*sigh* . . .

still waiting for the one signing I really want to see . . . . soon, please!

Don't worry, you aren't the only one.

I don't know much about this guy but I have heard his name quite a bit.

I sorta wanto to see it too, but...

...are you hoping against hope (and history and perhaps Uncle Lou's better judgement)?

Probably . . . but Lou is still saying that they really want Nieuwy back. He doesn't have to say that, so the fact that he is gives me hope.

When I saw this signing, I was a little weirded out. Reason being that a couple of weeks ago, I made up a mock article that the Devils had signed Rasmussen and sent it to a couple of pals for a laugh ;) .

I said something like this. Lamoriello was quoted as saying, "Rasmussen is the quintessential hockey player and he will fit well in our system."

So, imagine the surprise when I found out this actually happened today :lol::lol::lol: . :cues psychic powers: :evil:

As for Rasmussen, I've seen him play for Buffalo several times. He's a good skater with size. He's always had potential and this could be a smart move by Lou. I'm not saying he's going to explode offensively but I think Devils fans could be pleasantly surprised.

This is a strange signing.. Rheaume at least is adept at penalty killing, and while I guess Lou might think Brylin is capable of handling the center penalty killing duties, I don't see Rasmussen as a replacement for Rheaume.. I don't understand this signing, Rasmussen was projected to be a goal scorer but that was in 1998. Right now it makes no sense, but Lou usually has a plan for this kind of thing.. what is does do is give us depth if both players choose to leave, I suppose, and another guy to audition for the 2nd line center spot.. we all know Rupp isn't capable of playing there quite yet..

Easy, easy. I'm a huge Turner fan. Note the avatar, of Turner up-ending a Duck in the finals.

But the man gets hurt quite often. It seems it's almost a given that he'll get injured during the season. I would love to see him prove me wrong and stay in great shape the whole season through.

Same here, but I had those same concerns before this year and he somehow lasted for like 60 games and half the playoffs, which I'll take considering he's got two bad knees and plays hell-bent.

I don't think just cause Lou signed this guy it's automatically a precursor to a trade, remember we all assumed Marshall, Smehlik and Rheaume HAD to be the precursor to a trade when we made our deadline deals and no other deal happened. I think he has to cover his bases if Rheaume doesn't resign we have a missing center and Rupp would automatically get a spot...but I wouldn't automatically assume this guy's gonna be a center either. The Devs could always put a Brylin at center if they had to and use this guy as a big wing, maybe put together a masher fourth line with Rupp, him and Stevenson at times.

i think it's safe to say that going into the season, we're gonna be wondering what we've got and how what look like a bunch of holes in the lineup are gonna get filled. of course, it'll work out pretty well and, when a weakness is spotted, someone will be acquired in the middle of the season to fix the problem.

it's been going on like this for how many years?! this is the way that Lou works every year, and yet we keep wondering what's going on.

if these two don't pan out, I can't imagine they're all that expensive and will be replaced without much fanfare. this team is not banking on either brown or rasmussen to be a main cog in any way, shape or form. if everyone's doing their job and keep their heads in it, there's no reason to think that the success of this past year can't be duplicated.

This signing just doesn't do much for me, don't see this guy really doing much with the club...then again, Lou is the mastermind GM and I am not, so who am I to question the signing? :P I dunno, two consecutive signings is a little freaky for us Devils fans, freaaaaaaaaaky! :wacko: I'm still holding out on the biggie though - re-signing Nieu. *sigh*

I was really hoping Rheaume would be back, hopefully there's still a chance.

As with the signing of Brown, this is a move I don't understand. If there is one thing I learned last year it is that Lou works in mysterious ways that I don't understand, but he gets the results I want. I'll give him enough credit to see how these guys work out before I disagree with the moves.

I think both signings are low-risk semi-high reward.. both guys are big, physical former first-round picks whose other attributes have not developed for their teams to resign them.. with Rasmussen it's offense, with Brown it's defense.. Rasmussen could be a top 9 forward and Brown a top 6 defender, both are young and far away from UFA/Group V age. A large dose of Kool-Aid never hurt a player's career.

Not sure what I think about Rasmussen. I guess he's OK, and doesn't suck as much as some other players we could have gotten. At least he has SOME size on the wing, which this team needs to some degree.

He is Scandinavian heritage at least .. Dansk, maybe?? Perhaps Swede would know! :lol: