Winnipeg reaches season ticket goal in 17 minutes

msweet

That was quick. In impressive fashion, the hockey fans of Winnipeg purchased 13,000 season tickets in three days of pre-sale and 17 minutes into Saturday's general public sale.

Ticket-package holders of the American Hockey League's Manitoba Moose and corporate advertising clients bought 7,158 season tickets in the pre-sale that ended 11 p.m. ET Friday night. The remaining 5,842 were purchased online in 17 minutes, announced by the True North Sports and Entertainment group. True North has entered into an agreement to purchase and relocate the Atlanta Thrashers, pending NHL Board of Governors approval at its Board meeting June 21 in New York.

"We would like to take a special moment to thank all of our fans in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and Canada for their support over the past week, in particular, the overwhelming response of our fans which has resulted in a successful 'Drive to 13,000' campaign," said Jim Ludlow, President & CEO, True North Sports & Entertainment.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=564817

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ssssssssooooooooooo what's their name?

Not released yet but another good idea would be the Falcons after the 1920 Olympic hockey champs. I dont expect them to release the name today but who knows. Betmans got his finger on this one. :whistling:

Here are some facts about the stadium and ticket prices: (according to CTV Montreal)

-Winnipeg's MTS Centre can accommodate 15,000 fans, making it the smallest venue in the league. Just to get an idea, The Rock holds 17,625 during hockey games.

-Individual tickets ranged from $39 for an entry-level seat, up to $129 for the best seats in the house.

Edited by Quinn01

Not released yet but another good idea would be the Falcons after the 1920 Olympic hockey champs. I dont expect them to release the name today but who knows. Betmans got his finger on this one. :whistling:

Here are some facts about the stadium and ticket prices: (according to CTV Montreal)

-Winnipeg's MTS Centre can accommodate 15,000 fans, making it the smallest venue in the league. Just to get an idea, The Rock holds 17,625 during hockey games.

-Individual tickets ranged from $39 for an entry-level seat, up to $129 for the best seats in the house.

Despite them having the smallest venue in the league, they'll still murder some teams (us included) in total attendance for the year.

Great job Winnipeg. Hockey back where it belongs!

And we are boasting that we sold 1,500 season tickets since March.. I bet Quebec City would have done better than us.. Guess they should also move the Devils "back where hockey belongs"

Despite them having the smallest venue in the league, they'll still murder some teams (us included) in total attendance for the year.

I think we've averaged 15,000 plus in attendance each year at the Rock so it'd be pretty unlikely for them to have more attendance than us, even with a sold out building. And our ticket prices are higher too.

That said I'm glad they shoved it up Bettman's rear end, there's no way Atlanta or Phoenix would have sold 13,000 tickets in less than a week :lol:

And we are boasting that we sold 1,500 season tickets since March..

Well it's 1500 'new' seats after all, along with whatever number of existing sth's there are. It is kind of an accomplishment coming off a non-playoff year in any case lol.

That said I'm glad they shoved it up Bettman's rear end

Shoved what? Bettman allowed this move to happen, the league could have and should have bought the team and held them until investors from a better market came into the picture.

Shoved what? Bettman allowed this move to happen, the league could have and should have bought the team and held them until investors from a better market came into the picture.

His 'warning' about how Winnipeg better support the team, as if it wasn't an issue in other markets he's been trying to save. Where was this warning for Atlanta when they threw an expansion team up there?

His 'warning' about how Winnipeg better support the team, as if it wasn't an issue in other markets he's been trying to save. Where was this warning for Atlanta when they threw an expansion team up there?

It's a legitimate warning tho given Winnipegs relatively small revenue ceiling. They better sell out that 15k rink for them to survive.

It's a legitimate warning tho given Winnipegs relatively small revenue ceiling. They better sell out that 15k rink for them to survive.

Come on man, we all saw the face of Bettman and the way he was talking like if bringing a team to Winnipeg was something bad and that it wasn't going to work. Winnipeg fans just reached their goal in less than what anybody would had expected and especially in less time than what Bettman ever expected so whats the problem ?

Why would they need to sell out the 15k rink all year (and they will) to survive when there is at least 4 or 5 other teams that are playing every game with an empty building and are perfectly surviving ?

Edited by SS-SS

Well it's 1500 'new' seats after all, along with whatever number of existing sth's there are. It is kind of an accomplishment coming off a non-playoff year in any case lol.

Believe me, I understand it was a huge milestone for the team but that wasn't really my point.. I was trying to say that Devils fans shouldn't be saying that hockey deserves to be returned to Canada and that this is proof, because it took the Devils almost 3 months to sell 1,500 while the Winnipeg team sold over 5k in 17 minutes.. I added that I'm sure Quebec City would sell more than 1,500 new STH in way less than 3 months.. Pointing out that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones because one day we might be in that position.. We are not lucky enough to be one of the NHL franchises that has 0% chance of ever moving

Come on man, we all saw the face of Bettman and the way he was talking like if bringing a team to Winnipeg was something bad and that it wasn't going to work. Winnipeg fans just reached their goal in less than what anybody would had expected and especially in less time than what Bettman ever expected so whats the problem ?

Why would they need to sell out the 15k rink all year (and they will) to survive when there is at least 4 or 5 other teams that are playing every game with an empty building and are perfectly surviving ?

There isn't going to be any outside money? Their 15K is different than our 15K because they don't have Dolan cutting them a check for $25M.

I don't think anyone expected them not to sell the 13K tickets. Maybe not this fast, but that just mean they didn't set their price point right. Wait and see what happens on the secondary market.

Believe me, I understand it was a huge milestone for the team but that wasn't really my point.. I was trying to say that Devils fans shouldn't be saying that hockey deserves to be returned to Canada and that this is proof, because it took the Devils almost 3 months to sell 1,500 while the Winnipeg team sold over 5k in 17 minutes.. I added that I'm sure Quebec City would sell more than 1,500 new STH in way less than 3 months.. Pointing out that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones because one day we might be in that position.. We are not lucky enough to be one of the NHL franchises that has 0% chance of ever moving

Again, the business conditions are entirely different. It's quite possible, maybe probable, that the Winnipeg franchise will never have as much revenue as we do now.

Did we do anything to deserve to be in that position? :lol: No, but it is what it is. That's an advantage of being in the NY market and having a lunatic be your TV right provider.