Devils in contract talks with Parise

Maddog

It would be nice if they could hammer something out before the deadline.

The Post has confirmed its Monday report that the Devils have opened negotiations on a new contract for Zach Parise, against the backdrop of Friday's expected filing for club-requested arbitration

Parise could become a restricted free agent July 1 without a new deal, and club-requested arbitration is one means to prevent that occurrence.

An arbitration hearing would not be held until late July or early August. Meanwhile, the sides are expected to continue negotiations, still in their initial stages.

The arbitration award, which would be a one-year deal that would allow Parise to become unrestricted July 1, 2012, permits the Devils walk-away rights that would make Parise immediately unrestricted, although that scenario seems highly unlikely.

Parise made $5 million last season, a campaign marred by knee cartilage surgery.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/nhlblog/devils_in_contract_talks_with_parise_cwOSLi03jJRrvB5t0wIA1I#ixzz1PYMHANZM'>http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/nhlblog/devils_in_contract_talks_with_parise_cwOSLi03jJRrvB5t0wIA1I#ixzz1PYMHANZM

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/nhlblog/devils_in_contract_talks_with_parise_cwOSLi03jJRrvB5t0wIA1I

I have a feeling the sides have been talking way before this article and news to the NY Post. "Status Quo" with Lou. When Lou is ready he will tell the media writers like TG and Rich Chere. Lou is not stupid and he will do whatever it takes to resign Parise. I think they maybe buying some contracts too real soon IMO to free up some more money under the salary cap. If Salvador does not comeback at least that will free up $2.9M under the salary cap.

Not fair, zach required an 8m / 6 year contract in my NHL 11 game...brutal

Haha, don't you love that crap? He wanted 4yrs/$5.96 per, I didn't feel like low-balling him so just bumped up the years. I also got Buffalo to take Salvador and Rolston for Gaustad, Gerbe and a 3rd. I'd die if that ever happened in real life, not to mention I'd fear for Darcy Regier's life

I would offer this to Zach:

Year 1 11/12 5.5 Mil Age 27

Year 2 12/13 6.0 Mil Age 28

Year 3 13/14 7.0 Mil Age 29

Year 4 14/15 7.5 Mil Age 30

Cap Hit 6.5 Mil per season

Total Contract worth 26 Million

OR a longer term version that starts the same:

Year 5 15/16 7.5 Mil Age 31

Year 6 16/17 6.5 Mil Age 32

Year 7 17/18 6.5 Mil Age 33

Year 8 18/19 5.5 Mil Age 34

Total Contract worth 52 Million

To be honest I would be open to offering him even more because I think he such an important player, but this is a cap friendly amount that doesn't hurt the team.

I would offer this to Zach:

Total Contract worth 26 Million

OR a longer term version that starts the same:

Year 5 15/16 7.5 Mil Age 31

Year 6 16/17 6.5 Mil Age 32

Year 7 17/18 6.5 Mil Age 33

Year 8 18/19 5.5 Mil Age 34

Total Contract worth 52 Million

To be honest I would be open to offering him even more because I think he such an important player, but this is a cap friendly amount that doesn't hurt the team.

Wait so, I thought after the Kovalgate incident the cap hit would be calculated from the 3 highest paying years of the contract?

Or did I just completely misunderstand this

no, that's not true, where do people get this stuff

fallout from the kovalchuk contract is, iirc, any contract that goes past the age of 41, none of those years past 41 count towards the averaged value of the contract, and any year past 35 in a multi year deal automatically counts for at least $1M even if the contract pays less than that.

Edited by Triumph

I'm not sure how I feel about Lou coming out and saying they're working on a deal. It's good news, but Lou usually stays quiet and then unleashes his moves when the public least expects it.