Official: Parise Signs 1-Year Deal

devilsrule33

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why people are all bent out of shape.. I called this a few weeks ago.. I said that Lou would sign Zach to a lesser 1 year deal (and maybe 6 mil isn't that little, but if he signed long term it would have been for more per year) and then sign him long term during the 2nd half of the season, or at least before he becomes UFA.. That way Zach can have an even higher number per year and long term, which is good for him, and Lou can squeeze him in this season with some room to spare

Lou has more room this year and signs Zach long term after that, and Zach takes less this year for a higher number per year for many years (possibly the rest of his career)

Win win.. Good job Lou!

Srsly. Bunch of damn worrywarts around here. Better to see how his knee is for a year than to lock him in for life and find out right away that he's damaged goods. The Devils do not need a Rick DiPietro on their roster.

Is it possible Zach will leave for a massive payday next year? Yeah, maybe, and it's also possible he decides to stay here long-term, maybe even for a hometown discount. Is it worth worrying about now? Hells to the no.

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

Just like Montreal did with Gorges; they want to make sure he can play like he used to before signing him to a long term deal.

It's a scary situation if Zach has an excellent first-half. I don't like the idea of multiple people (he has two agents) telling him that they can make him the highest paid NHL player, marketing campaigns dedicated to him, huge endorsement deals, etc.

If Parise's agents can get him to July 1st, you'll have 15 GMs promising him the moon with elaborate pitches the likes we've never seen in the NHL. Does Zach want all that? Who knows? But the Devils can't promise winning anymore, which was always their biggest advantage. Zach has never won more than 5 playoff games in a year before.

Edited by devilsrule33

I've said the same thing weeks earlier, but there's NO reason to wait. We traded Rolston for what, now? If he was in the Devils long-term plans, he should have been paid that way. One year with an injury doesn't mean he's injury prone. You ponied up the cash to get your toy last year, you'd best fvcking do it to save the FACE of the franchise. If Zach isn't in the long term plans, trade him. Because any way you slice it, if we lose zach next year without any return, it sets this franchise back in a way none of us are ready to watch.

But do you get what I'm saying about why this could be a 1 year deal? I break down 2 senarios on page 2 of this thread and it makes perfect sense to me. Would like to get your take on it (and anyone else)

Lou had less room for Zach this season.. He has more next season.. So he is signing him to a low 1 year deal now so that he can fit Zach in, and giving him bigger bucks for the long term deal which will get done in 2012..

If you're Zach do you take (for instance):

Deal 1:

- 1 year @ $6 mil

- 10 years @ $7.5 mil

Deal 2:

- 11 years @ $6.75 mil

This...is really disappointing. Really put me in a sh!tty mood on a Friday night.

But, after the intial pissed emotion settles down...this is fine. Let him prove he can still play, then offer an extention in December.

If Lou doesn't break his 'No negotiations during the season' policy for this current situation I'm calling for his head

Wade Arnott: "It's a deal that makes sense for both the player and the club."

Exactly!! Devils will actually have a few million in room this season AND Zach will wind up getting more long term when he is resigned!! Fits my analysis perfectly

right, because he sat and did nothing.

He did everything including coming to deals with the waterboy, Fraser, Taormina and Larsson, everything except making sure the franchise's best player got a fair long-term deal.

And I'm not letting Zach go scot-free either...after Larsson, Hedberg and Greene all took less money to be on the Devils, it seems like Zach wants every last dollar. And that's fine but I can no longer hold him up as someone who only cares about winning.

But still, if we'd made Zach feel important the way we did Kovy it might not have gotten to this.

Exactly!! Devils will actually have a few million in room this season AND Zach will wind up getting more long term when he is resigned!! Fits my analysis perfectly

The agent isn't going to burn any bridges a year before UFA. It makes financial sense to have 30 teams willing to bid instead of 29.

Edited by NJDevs4978

But what the hell are they going to do with their cap space this year? Why trade Rolston for cap space when there's no FA's or need for it this year, unless it was going to a monster Parise deal? Cap Space is useless if you don't spend it. I don't get trading Rolston and signing Parise to one year, 6 mill at all for the Devils.

It obviously makes sense for Parise/ his agent.

Edit: I think there's something going on with ownership/salaries. Paying Kovalchuk 65 million over 6 years is looming on the horizon. I don't think Vanderbeek can handle that load and Parise's from a financial standpoint.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

"Once you go to arbitration, you can only get a one-year situation in this case," Lamoriello said. "So, really what we have done is avoid arbitration by settling on one year with the understanding and intent to take whatever time is necessary to get a long-term deal."

Eh I'm feeling better already.

I hate hate hate this logic. This isn't a neck injury or a serious break or anything that could potentially hurt his career. He got hurt, he was out for a while, he returned and looked fine and now has a summer to completely heal. If Zach is in the future plans of this franchise and he says that 12/100 is what he wants, either decide that he's worth it or deal him. There was one doomsday outcome of this offseason, and it was Zach Parise signing a 1 year deal.

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=98907&st=0

Lou has never been one to talk contracts prior to a player reaching their UFA year. As a player can you tell us whether or not you think that has an effect on whether or not the player remains?

(Asked by Jeff)

I think at times it may have a little impact. Everyone knows that Lou does things a certain way and prefers to wait until the season is over in order to not make it a distraction for a player. I can’t speak for anyone else, but sometimes a player may think, “Why not wait an extra two months until July 1 to see what kind of interest there is out there?”

so thats coming straight out of the man's mouth !

Guys if he's doing well in the first half... even if he'd like to sign his agents will tweak his mind so bad to test the market so they can get even more $$$, there's absolutely no way he's not testing the market now. We had about 8m in cap space and a bunch coming off next summer too... money wasnt an issue and they still had a few days to bargain... if they havent reached an agreement its that they knew it was useless, if not Lou would have tried to work something out until the very last minute, he gave up 4 days before??? he knew it was useless. i guess he doesnt want to be here as much as we thought

Pretty much agree with Colin's assessment. I really don't have a problem with this approach. If Zach has a down year then everyone's talking about what an albatross his deal is (had he signed long-term).

I'm willing to see how the rest of this plays out before throwing fits.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It's not worth worrying about!? fvckin' a, I need some of the sh!t you're smoking. i'm a worrywart because I've seen Lou fvck up before and I'm not ready to see Lou fvck up again. If Zach says bye and we watch him leave with no return (see: Niedermayer, Scott. Gomez, Scott.) it's DEVASTATING for the franchise and the fanbase.

Lighten up, there's greener pastures up ahead buddy. Worse comes to worse we can always welcome back good ol #18. :koolaid:

"Once you go to arbitration, you can only get a one-year situation in this case," Lamoriello said. "So, really what we have done is avoid arbitration by settling on one year with the understanding and intent to take whatever time is necessary to get a long-term deal."

Eh I'm feeling better already.

So help me God Lou, this better be the fvcking case.