Devils Sign College Phenom Parise

Z-Man

http://www.nypost.com/sports/devils/17768.htm

DEVS SIGN COLLEGE PHENOM PARISE

By MARK (N)Єverson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 30, 2004 -- It was a day of ironies for the Devils, even as they chase the Atlantic Division lead tonight.

They admitted that Scott Stevens still has not recovered from post-concussion syndrome, then signed collegiate phenom Zach Parise, whom they acquired by doggedly pursuing the Blues' tampering with Stevens 10 years ago. When the Rangers visit the Meadowlands tonight, the Devils can tie the Flyers for first place - and home-ice in the first round - in the division. The Flyers will then own a game in hand, but a 42nd victory would mean the Devils would own the first tie-breaker, if it applied.

In addition to Stevens' inability to join the team now, the Devils' fears were confirmed that winger Grant Marshall will be out a month with a broken hand from a bout with the Isles' Eric Cairns Sunday.

Parise's signing was the only sunshine on the team's day off.

His father, J.P. Parise, changed the face of metropolitan hockey with a goal heard 'round the league, 11 seconds into overtime, from Jude Drouin, that eliminated the Rangers in 1975's first round and lifted the Islanders into prominence.

That goal marked the end of the Rangers' great teams of the early '70s, and soon Jean Ratelle and Brad Park were dealt for Phil Esposito, Carol Vadnais and Joe Zanussi, then Rick Middleton for Ken Hodge, and Emile Francis was replaced as GM by John Ferguson.

J.P. Parise was gone by the time the Islanders began winning Stanley Cups, but he helped put the map-wearers on the map. Now his son will try to help the Devils repeat as Stanley Cup champs. A candidate for the Hobey Baker Award, the NCAA's hockey Heisman, Parise completed his sophomore season at the University of North Dakota Saturday when the Fighting Sioux were eliminated in the NCAA tourney.

Still 19, the center was selected 17th overall by the Devils last June. They swapped picks with the Blues, moving to 22nd from 30th as the second half of the Stevens tampering compensation award delivered Jan. 4, 1999. The Devils then dealt that pick and a second-rounder to Edmonton for the 17th pick, which landed Parise.

The Blues were found guilty of tampering with Stevens in 1994, when he signed from New Jersey with St. Louis, only to see the Devils match the offer and retain his services. The Minneapolis native went 26-35-61 in 30 games for North Dakota as a freshman. This year, North Dakota went 30-8-2, and was top-ranked most of the season. UND fell to Denver 1-0 Saturday, making Parise eligible to leave college.

Parise is believed to have signed a three-year deal at around $1 million per season.

Parise is believed to have signed a three-year deal at around $1 million per season.

How much money does Gomez make? Can anyone say significant raise?

I don't get what the salary of Parise has to do with Gomez's raise! :noclue:

How much money does Gomez make? Can anyone say significant raise?

I don't get what the salary of Parise has to do with Gomez's raise! :noclue:

I think what people are saying is that Parise is making off the bat what took Gomer 4 years to get...

I don't feel sorry for any of them... :ph34r:

DEVS SIGN COLLEGE PHENOM PARISE

By MARK (N)Єverson

March 30, 2004 -- The New Jersey have signed collegiate phenom Zach Parise, and are "extremely close" to trading him to the Calgary Flames for Craig Conroy, according to unnamed sources, a fortune teller I saw in Ocean City, and my co-worker Larry.

<JESTER>

I really hate this guy. This article could have been all about the Devils making their run, the signing of Parise, the hot EGG line, a positive article, but instead he has to let the dark clouds rumble through and Mr. Negative rides again. But I guess that's to be expected, he is a marginal writer at best. This paragraph isn't right:

The Blues were found guilty of tampering with Stevens in 1994, when he signed from New Jersey with St. Louis, only to see the Devils match the offer and retain his services. The Minneapolis native went 26-35-61 in 30 games for North Dakota as a freshman. This year, North Dakota went 30-8-2, and was top-ranked most of the season. UND fell to Denver 1-0 Saturday, making Parise eligible to leave college.

He starts off talking about the tampering yet again and about STEVENS. The he refers to the Minneapolis native???? Since when is Stevens a Minnesotan? Yes I realize he is referring to Parise but you wouldn't know that from reading this paragraph. You'd think Stevens played for ND. :blink: Writing 101, Neverson gets a D.

Anyone think (N)Єverson longs for the old days of hockey?

Which shows me he is really capable of writing something worthwhile when HE LIKES the subject matter.

Out of all of the local articles on the Parise signing, this one was the most informative.... but certainly not the most well-written.

They admitted that Scott Stevens still has not recovered from post-concussion syndrome, then signed collegiate phenom Zach Parise, whom they acquired by doggedly pursuing the Blues' tampering with Stevens 10 years ago.

So *that's* how we got that draft pick? I did not know that...

Edited by RowdyFan42

They admitted that Scott Stevens still has not recovered from post-concussion syndrome, then signed collegiate phenom Zach Parise, whom they acquired by doggedly pursuing the Blues' tampering with Stevens 10 years ago.

So *that's* how we got that draft pick? I did not know that...

Actually if I remember correctly, last year before the playoffs, (N)Єverson criticized Lou for not using THAT pick previously, It looked like the Blues were better than us and thus would end up with a worse pick than us. And that was the last year Lou could use the pick. But as it turns out they got 1st round eliminated and we won the Cup. Hence they had a 22 and we had a 30 in the 1st round.

When the draft started, my guess is Lou wasn't going to do much. But when the Isles passed on Parise (considering the history it is quite unbelievable), the draft announcer said it... "He said how could the Isles have done that... now watch someone like NJ get him." Sure enough, Lou trades with Edmonton to move up and snags Parise. The same announcer started bashing Millbury, essentially calling him an idiot. I remeber the press conference that day. The Devils didn't even have a jersey for Parise, I've never seen Lou smile for such an extended period of time. He was almost speechless.

In additon Lou did pursue this for a decade, and that work finally paid off.

I can't remember all of the things we got, but taht Stevens situation got us some other players. Anyone remember?

One could argue that the SS thing was the most important event in Devil's history....one reason being we got SS!

Why is this article about the Rangers of the 1970s?

What the hell does J.P. Parise have to do with Phil Esposito and Carol Vadnais?

Does (N)Єverson even have an editor anymore?

His desire to be RAG$ writer and get top byline over Brooks, rears its ugly head.

ok.. cut the guy a break here, he was spicing up the story with some history of Parise's dad.

Yeah, but it's not really about his dad, it's about the Rangers. All it said was one goal, and then he mentions two Ranger trades. It's like someone who's in love and brings up their lover any time it's possible, whether it's relevant or not.

I don't know why I still read (N)Єverson.