Thanks Guys

Elias Sports Bureau

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a year, indeed!

During the last week of the '03 Finals, we made the move to our new house and imagine my delight, when in response to my Devils car flag, the next door neighbor comes flying out of his house wearing a Devil's road sweater and cries, "Are you a New Jersey fan, too!!!??" Friends and co-workers asked why I made the six mile move east from Littleton to Centennial and I said, "So that I could be closer to Devil home games."

I am forever grateful for NHL Center Ice because it transported my affection for the Devils to a new level. Didn't miss a single televised broadcast and I cannot begin to explain the joy (the privelage!) of being able to listen to Doc and Chico call many of the games.

I have lived and died with New Jersey Devil hockey for exactly ten years now and though extremely saddened by today's preceedings, I couldn't be prouder of this organization! I remember Sports Illustrated's magazine article following NJ's Cup run in 2000: "The last of the great throwback organizations pulls another one off." The article touched upon patriarchal Doc McMullen, Lou Lamm's wizardry and a team devoid of 'individuals' making a magical and successful journey to their second Stanley Cup.

Yea, like Colorado, Lou Lamoriello could have gone out and picked up seven new Devils at the deadline and these moves may have been enough to propel New Jersey into the Second Round, BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT NEW JERSEY DEVIL HOCKEY IS ABOUT and this is why I couldn't be prouder of the boys than I am right now ... This New Jersey Devils organization is about that was and what continues to be all that is good in the NHL.

Picked up my six-year-old from school yesterday and as he hands me a book, he goes, "Daddy, I found this in the library and want you to read it to me." I turned the book over to read the title and much like today, misty-eyed and full of pride, I told him that I would love to ... the book's written by Alex Yannis and is called, simply, New Jersey Devils.

Edited by littleton_devil

Anyone mention Skrlac's goal against Atlanta yet? That was cool, especially when he tried to challenge Exelby to a fight and he refused then he got the goal seconds later :evil: Beating Colorado and Philly with back-to-back dramatic wins during a weekend early in the season was one thrill that hasn't been mentioned yet. The thirteen-game unbeaten streak of course.

Also among my personal favs, seeing Dano on TV late in the year :clap: Of course the banner raising - Getting the little banner that I proudly display in my room, seeing the big one go up, the dramatic game and of course seeing RD and Zammie/Dew again (funny how all the people I've met I've met twice...lol).

I have to say 2 stand out for me -

Banner night and that goal - I remember thinking " This is the beginning of another magical season"

and.... going to one of the Devs -Ranger affairs the night before my wife's B-day, I was supposed to make a cake for her w/ my daughter, well we lost that night and I got the couch but baked well unto dawn.. and had the replay going to keep me awake :evil:

I liked seeing Elias just about win the scoring race after his detractors said his coach would hold him back offensively all year long. Enjoyed seeing Burns reach a milestone in career wins this year as well.

My top three.

3. Seeing Skrlac in Albany

Man, you can't beat that. Every Albany fan's heart bleeds for Skrlac - they LOVE him. It was awesome to hear the crowd swell up every time he hit the ice. Unbeatable.

2. Seeing Skrlac in a Devils' sweater

Heh. Yeah, I like Skrlac - the fighter will almost always be a favorite of mine. Hearing how realistic he was - man, he KNEW his role, ACCEPTED it, and was APPRECIATIVE. I'm sick of fighters like Laraque making twenty-plus times what the average person makes complaining about fighting. Skrlac knows his role. And when he gets five seconds of ice-time for it, he's still happy.

1. Driving from DC for opening night

This was almost the WORST memory, too, as I had to skip a class and it turned out we had a test that day. Sooo... yeah, I had to lie. But for the whole weekend, I was terribly paranoid about it, so I kept trying to call the prof and even contacted the Dean (who I'm friendly with). Turns out while I was lying (saying I had to be at a funeral) my prof was actually AT a funeral. He let me do a re-take but karma caught up with me and I did awful on the test.

Watching the Banner Raising was awesome! It would have been great to be there. Watching Elias take over the offensive reins of the team. It seems like he's becoming a real leader of the Devils, too. He deserves so much more recognition from the media than he gets. And Little G showing that he's bigger than he looks! And yeah, I agree with Nieda - having ESB come back to this board is a very good thing.

And here's hoping for a better year next year for Jamie, and Jeff (if he's still there) and Maddog. And seeing Stevens back and healthy for one more year.

My avatar says it all :D (Skrlac and Brylin during warmups on Ken Daneyko night, January 9). I ordered discount tickets through the River Rats booster club about two months before for the game (was the only one, and got an invite to meet the prez of the Devs booster club), Skrlac was called up, scored, and was sent back down. January 8, he gets called up again and plays in the NHL...IN FRONT OF ME!!!!! Crasher can attest to how much I was freaking about when I heard! :D I always love when our boys get called up (no matter how much it hurts the Rats), but it was so much more special seeing Skrlac. I know I'll never retire my old Skrlac 23 Rat jersey!

This year's loss doesn't sting as much as some others. As much as I hate to admit it, Philly was playing great and Esche looked unstoppable. However, maybe it'll get Lou to look at the depth in the organization and realize how thin it's gotten. So, maybe it's not all that bad.

- Gomez and Elias getting up there in some offensive categories even though playing on a defense first team

- Marty's early shutout barrage

- the game against the Isles where Elias didn't convert on the penalty shot but came back to score on a feed from Gomer just a minute or so later in overtime

- Devils Fan Club dinner

- Seeing 3 games on the road, Dallas (2-0 loss), Atlanta (5-0 win) and a loss to the Isles

- banner night

- niedermayer finally getting some well deserved attention (hopefully some more this summer at the NHL awards)

- simply another year of going to games and if there is hockey next year, my father will re-new his season tickets and it will be yet another year of cheering the Devils on

Edited by CHICO IS GOD

Man, I don't even know. I just love following this team. Re-realizing the love for this team I had when I was a child... remembering my love for hockey. I hadn't played since I was 15, but now I can't imagine my life without hockey.

As far as the Devils, I love the year Brian Gionta had -- showing the world he's more than just the little engine who could. I love that Niedermayer finally stepped it up enough to be a front-runner for the Norris. I love how this team fought the devastating loss of its captain and still managed to set the record for fewest goals against in an 82-game season.

I can't say I'm not disappointed with the playoff performance, but this isn't the NBA. There are more than 3 good teams in the league, and the Flyers proved themselves a seriously worthy opponent. I am not embarrassed about the loss. I will not take down my Devils memoribilia. I am -- and always will be -- proud to be a Devils fan.

Now, let's just hope there's hockey this year. If not, I'm moving to Finland and following SM-Liiga. Go Jokerit!

Now, let's just hope there's hockey this year. If not, I'm moving to Finland and following SM-Liiga. Go Jokerit!

I would like to reccomend Sweden instead... the hockey could be fun there next year if the NHL is off.

imagine modo with Forsberg, Naslund, Sedins, Sundstrom (and maybe our favourite Salomonson) :lol:

Great thread to start ESB!!!

My List:

Banner Night - first time i ever watched the banner go up

Elias-- wow what a season

Hmm, a game in January where i saw Chico standing on line for the mens room.. just thought it was funny he doesnt have his own restroom to use ! I have a pic with Chico from 1984, Im on his lap and Im 5 and so I just thought it was cool to see him. - we go way back ;)

Martys 400th and his 9 consecutive years? I hope I have that right.. 4:30am..mind blank

Joining this board - and meeting several people from it

Dano Night - even though we lost, always nice to see someone honored! and honoring Stevens and Burns as well!

Supporting the team at MSG AND PHILLY - all losses or ties when i went.. bastards

Mites on Ice... aww they are great... future mini devils!

Elias's game winning goal in OT after missing his penalty shot... ahhh bittersweet!!

Getting a free ticket to most games I went to with my hunny!! It's impossible to have a bad time when Im at the games with u even with a loss! :wub:

seeing Skrlac play a few games...and score a goal! and Giroux and Bicek.. i like them both

Not seeing IGOR on the ice!!! Always a great night at CAA.. however and even better night seeing IGOR score his first goal with the team.. and last hopefully!

The Gulf commercial - oh wait.. thats most hated things!

Seeing Gionta play with sooo much heart and get shoved around like no tomorrow.. but bounce right back!! ALWAYS!

Seeing Clemmy get a shutout!!! Quality not Quantity I suppose!!

Watching Marty make 5 incredible saves with NO stick at MSG!!

EGG line at MSG - believe it was late Feb or early March.. when they dominated!

And the all time best moment of this season.....

FREE CEREAL BOWLS

Im sure I have more.. but I cant think of them at the moment!! :)

Edited by langsgirl