In defense of Zach

HellOnICE

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still baffled as to why Zajac is continually put with Parise and Kovalchuk. Or, more to the point, why Kovalchuk is perpetually paired with Zajac. Yes, they had chemistry last year - but Kovalchuk's style seems to fit so well with Henrique's approach. They always struck me as the dynamic pairing on that line from earlier in the year.

With Parise on the same line as Kovalchuk, the Panthers' best checkers and d-men are able focus mostly on one line... the story of the Devils' playoff failures the few seasons. If Kovalchuk and Parise are separated, even if Kovy is hurt, it spreads the Devils' offense around... especially if the Elias line gets chances, too.

For my 2 cents (worth about that much on the boards, even less than that in real life) I've been hoping to see Henrique-Elias-Kovalchuk, Parise-Zajac-Clarkson, Ponikarovsky-Zubrus-Bernier, Carter-Gionta-Sykora. Weakest line of the bunch is the Elias-Kovalchuk line, but that line can create offense even without Kovy's speed, and he has two wingers that are able to chip in defensively to help out. But again, not like it'll happen. Just daydreaming new line combos.

Did any of you watch the game?

How do you think Kovalchuk was getting all these shots when he can barely skate or withstand contact it seems?

Parise was playing uptempo, physical, stealing pucks, forechecking, and generating opportunities for his linemates in Zajac and Kovy. It's not his fault the other guys couldn't play well enough to bank those opportunities or create consistent puck control/pressure in the offensive zone.

Parise, while he works hard, has proven he's not a DIFFERENCE MAKER. Therefore, let some other team pay him as if he is.

Did any of you watch the game?

How do you think Kovalchuk was getting all these shots when he can barely skate or withstand contact it seems?

Parise was playing uptempo, physical, stealing pucks, forechecking, and generating opportunities for his linemates in Zajac and Kovy. It's not his fault the other guys couldn't play well enough to bank those opportunities or create consistent puck control/pressure in the offensive zone.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills. I'm not a Zach defender, I'm not one of these guys losing their sh!t at the thought that he might not be here next year. But he is consistently winning battles and races, that's just not true about any of the forwards on the rest of the team. Furthermore, he's got a billion shots, he's got 2 goals which isn't great but isn't horrible.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills. I'm not a Zach defender, I'm not one of these guys losing their sh!t at the thought that he might not be here next year. But he is consistently winning battles and races, that's just not true about any of the forwards on the rest of the team. Furthermore, he's got a billion shots, he's got 2 goals which isn't great but isn't horrible.

Correct. He was forcing some loose pucks and putting pressure on the forecheck. He was generating some opportunities, as it looks like Kovalchuk can't create anything at the moment. I mean I am as upset as anybody else at the lack of getting the puck into the net, but Parise even when he piles up a lot of shots, part of it is to also generate. I can't tell you how many times I saw Zajac fail to position himself or flail helplessly in front of the net. I like Zajac and I'd like him as part of this team going forward (especially considering how quality centers are of limited quantity and we aren't exactly teeming with depth there). But he has got to raise his game if Kovalchuk is as limited as he is.

And in terms of Zach not being here, it's not so much losing him, as to how do we ensure we have a quality Top 6. If we lose Parise, we need to add another top forward, and I don't see Tedenby being a replacement at the current moment, especially with how DeBoer seems to be favoring the veterans. Whoever is the GM would have to go out on the trade market.

There are two seperate topics in this thread. The defeatists who are already planning Parises leaving and the hopefuls who want the ailing Kovalchuk away from the top line so they can make better chances. I truly hope a damning injury is found or he was playing with a 103 fever.

I agree you cant pin gamechanging goals and momentum on Parise that is kovalchuks job. Parise is however the captain and these wild swings of confidence after a Brodeur missed pass or panther save is killing them too. Someone said it in chat and I agree the drive to manufacture a goal isnt there. There isnt a homogenization of will except in spurts. Nobody feels like being down two goals is winnable. The panthers D isn't even close to the other teams capabilities past this round. They need to learn this confidence quick.

There are two seperate topics in this thread. The defeatists who are already planning Parises leaving and the hopefuls who want the ailing Kovalchuk away from the top line so they can make better chances. I truly hope a damning injury is found or he was playing with a 103 fever.

I agree you cant pin gamechanging goals and momentum on Parise that is kovalchuks job. Parise is however the captain and these wild swings of confidence after a Brodeur missed pass or panther save is killing them too. Someone said it in chat and I agree the drive to manufacture a goal isnt there. There isnt a homogenization of will except in spurts. Nobody feels like being down two goals is winnable. The panthers D isn't even close to the other teams capabilities past this round. They need to learn this confidence quick.

I'd take the Panthers defense over the Flyers. But other than that, eh.

What i don't understand is why people are quite happy to let one of our best players walk, yet complain we aren't winning. Who do you intend to replace him with? Losing Zach makes us a much worse team.

Ryan Suter is not the answer.

THIS +1

Also I just want to note that from what I have seen the Devils have not done particularly well in the FO circle especially at key times.

From NHL.com

Carter 83.3%

Zajac 61.7%

Elias 44.7%

Henrique 35.7%

Carter leads the team's % which I believe shows one of the reasons why the 4th line is doing so much better cycling the puck and holding possession longer in the offensive zone. The team's FO% seems to be ok but it's more just losing FO at key times. When I was at the games it seemed like the Devils couldn't win a FO on the PK but looking at the numbers maybe that is not true? I'm not sure honestly. If someone knows how to read the stats better than I and can clarify this I'd appreciate it because I may have just noticed the unfavorable outcomes more.

Edited by NJDevils1214

But Zach is more complete thats why i said keep him at 6 millions

Devils fans seem to regularly undervalue their players or think we're entitled to a hometown discount. We're not going to be able to sign Zach for 6 million. Its going to take 7-8 million, especially with teams like the Red Wings (who will have the most cap room next year) just getting bounced in the first round and not to mention this is arguably the thinnest free agent pool since the last CBA, everyone this offseason will be overpaid. I fully expect Zach in Detroit next season if I was forced to place a bet today and even more so if we lose this series. I think the only chance Zach stays is if we get to the Conference Finals.

I don't think Parise has played to the capability of a 7+ million dollar player this year. I don't think Kovalchuk is worth what he's getting paid either, but he's locked up.

I agree with Chimaira that losing Zach makes us worse, but we saw how this team played without him for that stretch last season in the 2nd half. We still have some very viable players and the emergence of Adam Henrique is a very positive thing, even more so if we lose Parise. No one player is an answer, but Suter's a damn good piece, altho I dont think theres any chance Suter comes here.

Edited by ghdi

Devils fans seem to regularly undervalue their players or think we're entitled to a hometown discount. We're not going to be able to sign Zach for 6 million. Its going to take 7-8 million, especially with teams like the Red Wings (who will have the most cap room next year) just getting bounced in the first round and not to mention this is arguably the thinnest free agent pool since the last CBA, everyone this offseason will be overpaid. I fully expect Zach in Detroit next season if I was forced to place a bet today and even more so if we lose this series. I think the only chance Zach stays is if we get to the Conference Finals.

I don't think Parise has played to the capability of a 7+ million dollar player this year. I don't think Kovalchuk is worth what he's getting paid either, but he's locked up.

I agree with Chimaira that losing Zach makes us worse, but we saw how this team played without him for that stretch last season in the 2nd half. We still have some very viable players and the emergence of Adam Henrique is a very positive thing, even more so if we lose Parise. No one player is an answer, but Suter's a damn good piece, altho I dont think theres any chance Suter comes here.

Sadly I can def. see Zach rolling the dice with Detroit next year. The thought of him leaving bothers me a lot. I guess I am just too loyal.

Sadly I can def. see Zach rolling the dice with Detroit next year. The thought of him leaving bothers me a lot. I guess I am just too loyal.

Sure, it bothers me too, but on the same token, it bothers me less than say when Gomez left or the Niedermayer fiasco. Mainly because I don't believe we're DOA without Zach and there are pieces that can be had in FA that could help us if he does leave. I think we'll be a lesser team on paper no matter who we brought in to replace him, but we're still going to be competitive. As long as he doesnt sign with a team in this division or make us wait forever to make a decision, I won't hate Zach. He's earned the right to play where he wants to, and if thats not here, gtfo.

Is their anyone indifferent about Parise leaving? I was all worried at the beginning of the season. But he has accumulated to all nothing in his time here in the playoffs. Note - I'm not pinning the losses on Parise but he hasn't exactly taken over a series lately either. I think we can spend money better than on another $6M+ LW'er. This team has bigger needs. Improve the speed of the defense, Sal and Volch look like they have cement blocks for skates and the Florida wingers are beating them to every dump in. Zidlicky has been excellent, I cannot imagine how terrible our defense would look without him.

Is their anyone indifferent about Parise leaving? I was all worried at the beginning of the season. But he has accumulated to all nothing in his time here in the playoffs. Note - I'm not pinning the losses on Parise but he hasn't exactly taken over a series lately either. I think we can spend money better than on another $6M+ LW'er. This team has bigger needs. Improve the speed of the defense, Sal and Volch look like they have cement blocks for skates and the Florida wingers are beating them to every dump in. Zidlicky has been excellent, I cannot imagine how terrible our defense would look without him.

The Devils aren't going to get another 6M LW if they let Parise go.

And I don't know how you can watch these games and think 'Man, we don't need Parise.' He's been the only thing keeping that top line playing well, otherwise they'd be getting stomped.

Note: I'm not a 'Sign-Parise-at-all-costs' guy, but there's going to be issues if he leaves.

Edited by Triumph

And I don't know how you can watch these games and think 'Man, we don't need Parise.' He's been the only thing keeping that top line playing well, otherwise they'd be getting stomped.

Note: I'm not a 'Sign-Parise-at-all-costs' guy, but there's going to be issues if he leaves.

I never said I wanted the Devils to go after another $6M winger. I was saying I think there are better ways to invest that.

Side note - going into the season, I remember you were stating you wanted Elias and Parise on different lines because they are the top two play drivers. Would you consider putting them together at times and splitting Parise and Kovy?

That's one of my concerns. Do we see another "Malakhov and McGillis" panic response to Parise leaving? Ideally, the best thing would be to spend some of that money on a couple players that fit the existing personnel such as a couple of wingers on short term "prove it" deals. There's a few of those guys available every year. The Panthers picked up like half a dozen of them in free agency before this season.

But there is no replacing Parise one to one. Which really to me if Parise does need, lends the need for some adjustment of the roster and I'm not sure I want Lou doing it anymore. If the Devils know Parise is likely to leave, I hope they have an alternative plan or plans ready.

Devils don't have too many valued trade assets to go out and trade away. They need to keep most of them, and the ones who may have value also have some warts (Josefson with injuries, Tedenby is a question mark, and Merrill has some concerns on his attitude and discipline).

So true with good defenceman like Suter and a decent LW we will be a better than with parise...

But i still hope parise qill stay with us

And jsut put josefson at henrique spot and henrique at LW... you still have 3 decent offensive line...

But hey as far as we are concern... the series is not over yet lets win game 6

Edited by caron14

Not too popular I imagine, but I think the plan for the offseason should include the following:

Lou does everything he can to keep Zach

Lou does everything he can to get Marty to retire

Lou retires

The last two are coming soon anyway, they are inevitable. Let's just yank the band aid already and move on.

I still don't think losing Parise would be a death blow. While he is of course a very good hockey player, I have yet to see that 'take over a game' ability with him as a Devil.

If he's offered 8m by some team, I would sure as hell hope the Devils don't match it.

This team doesn't need two superstar LW's. Somehow go acquire a better C to replace zajac on the 1st line. Easier said than done, of course