Rick Nash To NYR

JakeDev

It doesn't seem to me like anywhere has an argument here that the NYR could have made a better trade if they were definitely going to get Nash. There are just those who say Nash is overrated and you lose by getting Nash and those who say Nash is overrated but the Rags win by giving up very little.

Looks like the Rangers are going full circle and right back to their all-star days of having lots of great names that count their money all the way to the golf course. The Rangers do still have SOME young talent, but they're quickly devolving in the wrong direction. If not for Lundqvist, I'd be laughing right now.

Kreider who has had one impressive season (Not even a full season), Hagelin and Stepan

What other impressive prospects/"young talent" do they have? J.T. Miller is a question mark, so is Mcilrath

Stepan makes me laugh, the only time I saw him in the conference finals was getting rolled over by Zubrus.

This guy has only two 40-goal seasons in his 9-year career and carries a contract with a $7.8M cap hit, and he was sought after? The Rangers deserve this guy, and didn't deserve all that Dubinsky brought.

'Only' two 40-goal seasons? He's been the best forward by a mile on those teams and he doesn't have good offensive d-men to help him out either. Who's been the Jackets' second best forward during his time there, Vinny Prospal for a year or two? Who's been their best pointman?

Nash at six years for $7.8 million per doesn't look too bad considering some of the 'recent' contracts, plus they offloaded half that salary the next three years with Dubinsky.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Your joking right bubster?

The Rangers need to understand (which I'm convinced that they won't) - they need to keep SOME young talent! Afterall, what's the point of having all-star veterans if there is no young talent to train?

How much young talent did they actually give up in this trade? And with Stepan, Hagelin, McDonagh, Del Zotto and Kreider they have quite a few talented 23-or-younger players on their roster.

Kreider who has had one impressive season (Not even a full season), Hagelin and Stepan

What other impressive prospects/"young talent" do they have? J.T. Miller is a question mark, so is Mcilrath

All I know is the Rangers kept their young stars and do not have the highest average age in the NHL (NJ).

Many people do not realize how much better the Rangers are when Dubinsky is on the ice. Yes he has a terible contract but he played the game right and controlled the puck well, same goes for Anisomov. I really do not see the Rangers improving on this trade because they are losing two key depth players but they obivously are not worse.

Edited by Zubie#8

McDonaugh and DelZotto. Don't know about their farm system and prospects, but they were one of the youngests teams in the league last season and went to the ECF. They have young talent. Depth on the other hand is a different story. INteresting to see if they can stay as healthy this season as they were last season.

Looks like the Rangers are going full circle and right back to their all-star days of having lots of great names that count their money all the way to the golf course. The Rangers do still have SOME young talent, but they're quickly devolving in the wrong direction. If not for Lundqvist, I'd be laughing right now.

Lundqvist, Nash, Richards and Gaborik + Staal, Stepan, Del Zotto, Hagelin, McDonagh, Kreider, Callahan and Girardi. That to me sounds like a well rounded team full of superstars, stars and young stars. Then they have depth role players like Halpern, Boyle and Pyatt.

From and organizational standpoint, Tri is right. Nash's contract is pretty bad for a guy that accomplished next to nothing for his team. From a hockey standpoint, it's grand theft all-star. The rags gave up next to nothing in keeping their young D and Krieder/Hagelin.

Every coach wants Rick Nash on their team...not every GM wants to take on the burden of that contract. We can only hope that it fails miserably.

Your move Lou.

I found this interesting as well:

Plus/Minus

Kovalchuk, prior to being acquired by the Devils: -65 in 594 games

Nash, prior to be acquired by the Rangers: -71 in 674 games

Perhaps the Thrashers were better in their days with Kovalchuk than the Blue Jackets are/were, but all you heard about was how terrible Kovalchuk was defensively with his massive career negative.

Why is noone talking about Nash's pretty awful career +/- ?

Edited by Devilsfan118

'Only' two 40-goal seasons? He's been the best forward by a mile on those teams and he doesn't have good offensive d-men to help him out either. Who's been the Jackets' second best forward during his time there, Vinny Prospal for a year or two? Who's been their best pointman?

Nash at six years for $7.8 million per doesn't look too bad considering some of the 'recent' contracts, plus they offloaded half that salary the next three years with Dubinsky.

Nash and Kovalchuk both started their careers on horrible teams.

Nash put up two 40-goal seasons in nine years, and his cap hit is $7.8M.

Kovalchuk put up two 50-goal seasons and five 40-goal seasons in eight years, and his cap hit is $6.7M.

As a Devils fan, there is absolutely no way in hell that I'm envious of the Rangers today.

Huh? I'm saying Sather did well here.

I know. I think the Blue Jackets did better then most people let on. This completely ruins NY's depth. Three goons are on their bottom six. That's supposed to help them be a contender? Along with Gabby who had a meh season last year? Nash who is on a career decline?

I don't buy that the Rangers won this. If Nash has a career year (or comparable) during his time with the Rangers then I'll gladly eat crow.

I found this interesting as well:

Plus/Minus

Kovalchuk, prior to being acquired by the Devils: -65 in 594 games

Nash, prior to be acquired by the Rangers: -71 in 674 games

Perhaps the Thrashers were better in their days with Kovalchuk than the Blue Jackets are/were, but all you heard about was how terrible Kovalchuk was defensively with his massive career negative.

Why is noone talking about Nash's pretty awful career +/- ?

Born June 16, 1984 (age 28)

Brampton, Ontario, CAN

• Like 2

yup

This hurts the Rangers bottom six IMO. Thats if they do not make anymore moves.

Gaborik Richards Hagelin

Callahan Stepan Nash

Kreider Boyle Asham

Rupp Halpern Pyatt

Or you can look at their D-Corps:

McDononough/Staal

Girardi/Del Zotto

Bickell/Stralman/Emminger

Maybe Sauer if his brains aren't completely scrambled.

Four dressing defenseman that range from good to very good. Bottom pairing defensemen that would be cut by 2/3 of the teams in the league. Maybe, on a good night, they get 10 minutes of ice time each. That's four awfully tired defensemen come playoff time.

I know. I think the Blue Jackets did better then most people let on. This completely ruins NY's depth. Three goons are on their bottom six. That's supposed to help them be a contender? Along with Gabby who had a meh season last year? Nash who is on a career decline?

I don't buy that the Rangers won this. If Nash has a career year (or comparable) during his time with the Rangers then I'll gladly eat crow.

We shall see...it really all depends on how Nash fits in with NYR and how Dubi, Anisimov, and Erixon pan out in CBJ. NYR is taking a big risk by taking on Nash's contract alone...he better produce for them, because if not the fans will not hesitate to get on him.