Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

i could go for the "hey hey hey!" from Van Halen's Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love.

Not a bad idea, but it sounds similar to part of the Rangers' goal song.

i really like the naughty by nature idea.

how bout some rage against the machine?

I love Rage but the problem is the same problem with almost every other suggestion--people suggest songs that they like, and a lot of people don't listen to the same kind of music.  Rock and Roll Part 2 is so generic and cheesy that everyone can easily get on board with it.  I never got into Ole even though I thought it was cool they went with a local band because I just don't really enjoy that style of music and I feel if they switch to Gaslight Anthem I would probably feel the same way, and I'm sure people would feel the same if I suggested some of my favorite bands too.  When you consider that it has to be something people can easily participate in regardless of their musical tastes and needs an easily chant-able part, it's pretty hard to come up with a good goal song.  Rock and Roll Part 2 pretty much hits those points right on the head.  Though I like the idea of a New Jersey band coming up with a specifically-designated goal song, that would be cool.

Who cares...I actually enjoy the "you suck" chant. I love standing up out of my seat, cheering for who scored, and doing a chant afterwards. Does it matter what we chant? Why should we care what other fan bases think of us when we score at home? Now if this was baseball and every time a run scored, saying "you suck" would be a lot different. But it's hockey, a sport known for it's grit and intensity and the fan base that goes with it.

Now of course if it did change to something else I wouldn't care all that much but I just don't see the point in changing it. I enjoy it, personally.

• Like 1

Ole is absolutely awful, leave that to the Habs and soccer fans.  Most stupid goal song I can possibly imagine for this team.

I like R&R pt 2, and I, for one, think the whole 'controversy' over the "you suck" is WAY overblown.  You're not protecting the children when they're going to hear "Rangers suck, Gomez swallows" about four times a game.  It's a stupid chant (the "you suck"), but I don't think it's worth ditching the traditional goal song for.  Some of you are so overly sensitive to how this fanbase is perceived around the NHL..who cares?

One final note to the people who complain about R&R Pt 2 being "cliche" - I'm going to laugh pretty hard when a remixed Zombie Nation is debuted at the home opener. 

As I said on HF a great potential goal song would be the new Stone Temple Pilots track "Out of Time".  Maybe it's because I'm an STP fanboy but imagine that clock winding down, we score and the whole arena chants "OOOOOOH YOU CAN'T HIDE, OOOOOO YOU'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!" That would be intimidating as hell to another team.

The people defending the you suck chant are not seeing the main reason why people who are against it (such as I). It's not the word itself (I don't think anyone here would say the work suck is even close to a curse word) but the fact that the chant shows what a giant inferiority complex out fanbase as a whole has. It is especially cringeworthy when we are losing 4-0 and then we score and half the arena chants you suck to the other team.

It's not the word, it's how it just makes us look like dumb kids.

• Like 2

The people defending the you suck chant are not seeing the main reason why people who are against it (such as I). It's not the word itself (I don't think anyone here would say the work suck is even close to a curse word) but the fact that the chant shows what a giant inferiority complex out fanbase as a whole has. It is especially cringeworthy when we are losing 4-0 and then we score and half the arena chants you suck to the other team.

Yeah I'm with this. I don't care about protecting the kids but its cringe inducing to hear it and I'm embarrassed to be there when it happens

• Like 1

Who cares...I actually enjoy the "you suck" chant. I love standing up out of my seat, cheering for who scored, and doing a chant afterwards. Does it matter what we chant? Why should we care what other fan bases think of us when we score at home? Now if this was baseball and every time a run scored, saying "you suck" would be a lot different. But it's hockey, a sport known for it's grit and intensity and the fan base that goes with it.

Now of course if it did change to something else I wouldn't care all that much but I just don't see the point in changing it. I enjoy it, personally.

Agreed. Philly fans act like complete morons, Ranger fans act like dicks...why do we have to be the fanbase that turns the other cheek? Not really any pride is being courteous pussies...

Rangers and Flyers fans don't have an embarrassing chant after goals are scored.  They embarrass themselves in plenty of other ways, but not that way.  They don't feel compelled to have a chant that emphasizes the inferiority of the other team rather than the superiority of their own.

Also, that Van Halen song sounds way too much like the Rangers goal song.  No on Ole either.  I'd be fine with Zombie Nation until a suitable replacement can be found.

Edited by Triumph

The you suck chant is taken way too literal.

Chant it if you like it or don't if you don't like it. It shouldn't be any more complex then that.

Clearly the majority of the fans like the chant because the majority of the arena does it.

I don't chant it.  I don't like it and it's embarrassing.

I don't think the majority of fans chant it.

here's the thing with "you suck." if it was used properly, then i could stand it. if it's used when playing the rangers or flyers and when the devils score a goal in a game they are winning in the 3rd, then i could get behind it.

i have only chanted it once - game 6 2012 ECF OT. then it was justified and i was caught in the moment.

but when it gets chanted for the first goal in the 3rd after the devils are losing 5-0 to winnepeg? then it's awful

I understand what you are saying but I feel like people that hate on the "you suck" are really over-analyzing it. I doubt a lot of people hear Devils fans chant it and judge the fanbase from it. As I've said before, I am completely indifferent to it. I hope they change the goal song though so we can finally put this topic to bed. Hell, I'd probably be willing to put up with a sh!tty hair metal band like Van Halen if it meant people would stop complaining about it.

here's the thing with "you suck." if it was used properly, then i could stand it. if it's used when playing the rangers or flyers and when the devils score a goal in a game they are winning in the 3rd, then i could get behind it.

i have only chanted it once - game 6 2012 ECF OT. then it was justified and i was caught in the moment.

but when it gets chanted for the first goal in the 3rd after the devils are losing 5-0 to winnepeg? then it's awful

Bingo. No reason for that chant when the game is pretty much decided.

It also shows an inferiority complex.

It also shows an inferiority complex.

I don't care much about the chant either way but I do tend to think the people worrying about the chant have an inferiority complex more than the people enjoying themselves.

I don't normally participate in the chant, I don't have an inferiority complex about the Devils, and I don't know anyone who chants it due to an inferiority complex so it may just be my own perspective.

The people who worry about what it means or how it makes the fanbase look seem to be more likely to be comparing groups and worrying about inferiority/superiority.