Cory Schneider Appreciation Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

For the record, Cory has the best GAA  (2.27) of any goalie in the league on a team under NHL .500. The next closest is Craig Anderson at 2.37. I'm too lazy to go through and check but I am going to guess that his GAA is one of the best ever for a team under .500. Also, no starting goalie in the league (min.35 starts), who is on a team that allows more SA/GP than the Devils, has a higher save percentage than Cory. The only goaltender with better numbers for any of these parameters is Craig Anderson, and he has only started 31 games to Cory's 49.

Last year Cory led the league in GAA for all goalies who started at least 30 games. He also had a .921 SV%. On a much worse Devils team this year, Cory's save percentage has jumped by .3 points. That is two straight years of stellar play on rough teams.

We might have the best goalie in the league on our hands.

The fact people were ready to trade him just makes me shake my head.  If the Devils are ever gonna be good again, he's the guy we're gonna need in net.  I'm predicting by year 3 or 4 in his contract, we'll be a playoff team again.  Just a gut prediction.  He's proving more and more why we traded our 1st for him.

Carey Price is better

This year, only he and Rinne have been better albeit the drop off from Rinne and Price to Cory is pretty significant.

Price

SV%: .935

GAA: 1.93

QS%: .667

GSAA: 29.44

Rinne

SV%: .931

GAA: 1.97

QS%: .786

GSAA: 21.49

Schneider

SV%: .924

GAA: 2.30

QS%: .646

GSAA: 15.51

Edited by Mike Brown

Buzz killington

Eh in the end it 's hard to pick the actual BEST, so as long as Cory is in the conversation with one or two other goalies (and both those goalies have much better teams around them), it doesn't really take anything away from him. Though, imo it's pretty hard to argue against Cory being #1 with his numbers and considering in the situation he is in.

That said, if there was someone better it would probably be Price. The Canadiens do give up a lot of shots and price has stopped them at a pretty incredible rate.

Edited by Neb00rs

Cory has a .941 save% in his last 18 GP.  He's basically been a beast since 11/11, despite being tied in GP with 49.  He hasn't wilted one bit in spite of playing for a god-awful team that does everything it can to make his life a living hell. 

And even his shootout save% is on the rise...a very solid .733. 

Truly the brightest of the bright spots in a season that has seen very few of them. 

Gotta chime in here and give my love to the guy too.  He's had a few moments of 'wtf' or 'oh c'mon Cory', but overall he's kept us from being in the bottom 3 of the league with BUF/EDM.  If we had any semblance of offensive regularity at all, we could be a playoff contender, but instead we're sort of a bubble team, but really not even that.

At least we have the peace of mind knowing we have a solid goalie for the next few years, and a pretty decent/young defensive core to help him.  

There are still fans who insist that Cory constantly blows 2-0 and 4-0 leads.  These are the people who just can't be helped.

Plus how often do we even get a 2-0 or 4-0 lead anyways?

I hate to start this DevsMan but you truly seem to know ALL of the fans that I do not know.

I hate to start this DevsMan but you truly seem to know ALL of the fans that I do not know.

That's because unfortunately I can only take complaining about line combos and stats till the end of time on here.  That's why I go on the FB groups and twitter and even lurk on HFBoards since they actually talk about more things than strictly the on-ice product.  Besides Hell and Locker Room sub-forums, things can get pretty slow here.

Yeah I know what I am getting from those places but I think they represent a larger and broader representation of the fanbase.  I mean how many people post here on an at least semi-daily basis?  15-25 posters is about my estimation.  The other groups have hundreds and there are both level-headed fans and those who are well, bottom of the barrel fans.  However again I think that is a representation of all fanbases so when I say there are some fans, those are usually bottom of the barrel but there are out there and there are plenty.

I will also say the posters here on this message board are the most level-headed of all the Devils fan groups.  I think a lot of is due to the fact that you really have to be a bit beyond a casual fan to actually find this board to begin with.

That's because unfortunately I can only take complaining about line combos and stats till the end of time on here.  That's why I go on the FB groups and twitter and even lurk on HFBoards since they actually talk about more things than strictly the on-ice product.  Besides Hell and Locker Room sub-forums, things can get pretty slow here.

Yeah I know what I am getting from those places but I think they represent a larger and broader representation of the fanbase.  I mean how many people post here on an at least semi-daily basis?  15-25 posters is about my estimation.  The other groups have hundreds and there are both level-headed fans and those who are well, bottom of the barrel fans.  However again I think that is a representation of all fanbases so when I say there are some fans, those are usually bottom of the barrel but there are out there and there are plenty.

I will also say the posters here on this message board are the most level-headed of all the Devils fan groups.  I think a lot of is due to the fact that you really have to be a bit beyond a casual fan to actually find this board to begin with.

I think this is all fair. I can't really say I know what goes on in those groups. I was just making an observation.

Also, this board has certainly died down in consistent participation from 5-6 years ago.

Edited by Neb00rs

You know though, my previous sarcastic comment has me thinking..

--- DISCLAIMER:  I think Cory is the man.  I'm happy the Devils have him.  The following is just for discussion.  Don't jump on me. ---

I'm just thinking out loud here (or through a forum.. whatever) but one could almost argue Cory was acquired at the wrong time.. and will.. bear with me.. hurt the organization in the long run.

I mean, obviously it's nice to be able to say we have our goalie situation locked up for the foreseeable future.. but is acquiring a superb goaltender when the team is in desperate need of a rebuild the smartest move for a franchise?  

Cory has single-handedly kept this team from being in contention for the first overall pick.  Can't fault the guy for being a beast obviously - but I'm almost tempted to argue that the Devils would've been better off with an average-to-below-average goalie (hell, even Marty) this year to fully embrace the rebuild.  And probably next season, and the next as well..

And while we're at it - how long do you guys think it'll take for the Devils to become relevant again?  Two years?  Three?  I think saying less than four or five seasons is being optimistic when considering the glaring holes in the Devils current roster.  But let's say Lou (or whoever's GM at that point :thumbsup: ) manages to field an average team in.. three years, the 2017-2018 season.  That'll make Cory 31 at the start of the season.  Can we still expect him to play at the same level that's playing now?  I hope so, but who knows.  It's a shame we're wasting Cory's best years with these futile efforts.

Just food for thought.  An interesting point for discussion I guess - like I said above, I'm happy we have Cory.  But it's an interesting point to consider that we could be have potentially drafted some top-3 talent for the next few years to right the ship (a la the Penguins) with average goaltending.

Edited by Devilsfan118

The answer (annoyingly) is maybe.....the Devils have a solid D in place and the goalie in place, they need to get younger and better up front now....in theory that's the easier of the positions to fill (though good cenrters are worth their weight in gold in the NHL, and a true top center would make Zajac worlds better in the #2 role, same with a guy like Henrique).....you have a good scorer in Camm, there ARE pieces there, and when you have a true scorched Earth break it down like the Oilers have....there's no guarantee ....they need SOME veteran leaders to bring those kids up and acclimate them....part of the reason I'm willing to hold on to Elias....as a 3rd line winger with the experience and mindset to help the young un's along, the bottoming out might not be as terrible as a Buffalo or Edmonton as an example....

....the other problem is it's now become damned hard to make the playoffs the way the new system is too.....

I'm happy we have this thread because it's just really hard to unearth the positive when there is so much sh!t everywhere. Cory hasn't been good or very good, he's been incredible since November. After a sh!tty few games against Detroit and Boston, he's got a .934 save percentage over his last 34 games. .941 save percentage over his last 18 games. Without looking it up, it's probably stretch that rivals anything Brodeur has done in the regular season over a similar period.

I'm happy we have this thread because it's just really hard to unearth the positive when there is so much sh!t everywhere. Cory hasn't been good or very good, he's been incredible since November. After a sh!tty few games against Detroit and Boston, he's got a .934 save percentage over his last 34 games. .941 save percentage over his last 18 games. Without looking it up, it's probably stretch that rivals anything Brodeur has done in the regular season over a similar period.

Brodeur had a .939 SV% (and around a 1.75 GAA) in 27 games from Dec. to Jan. in 06-07. He was on a better team but then again that year was rife with goal-scoring (2.95 GPG for the league that year as compared to 2.76 this year and .905 league SV% compared with .913 this year)..

He also had a .942 SV% (and like a 1.43 GAA) in 27 games from Feb. to Apr. 1997 (2.92 GPG for the league that year and a .905 league SV%).

That said, Cory's current level of play could very well continue for entire seasons.

Edited by Neb00rs

Cory looks absolutely unbeleivable out there.  he is EXACTLY the guy we were hoping he would be when we made that trade.  This workload looks like something we shouldn't have ever questioned. 

He has not cracked under pressure. He has been extremely patient in what is a down year for this squad.  I am so appreciative of having him to build upon.  He, along with our young and promising defesnse, is without a doubt a beautiful thing to build upon.  We need to harvest a bunch of solid young forwards.

I will say that a guy like Cammy is the perfect kind of player we need on this team.  The problem is that the timing is not quite there because by the time our D will be entering their prime, Cammy will be exiting his.  if we could get a bunch of young Cammalleri's, this team would be GOLD

--- DISCLAIMER:  I think Cory is the man.  I'm happy the Devils have him.  The following is just for discussion.  Don't jump on me. ---

I'm just thinking out loud here (or through a forum.. whatever) but one could almost argue Cory was acquired at the wrong time.. and will.. bear with me.. hurt the organization in the long run.

I mean, obviously it's nice to be able to say we have our goalie situation locked up for the foreseeable future.. but is acquiring a superb goaltender when the team is in desperate need of a rebuild the smartest move for a franchise?  

Cory has single-handedly kept this team from being in contention for the first overall pick.  Can't fault the guy for being a beast obviously - but I'm almost tempted to argue that the Devils would've been better off with an average-to-below-average goalie (hell, even Marty) this year to fully embrace the rebuild.  And probably next season, and the next as well..

And while we're at it - how long do you guys think it'll take for the Devils to become relevant again?  Two years?  Three?  I think saying less than four or five seasons is being optimistic when considering the glaring holes in the Devils current roster.  But let's say Lou (or whoever's GM at that point :thumbsup: ) manages to field an average team in.. three years, the 2017-2018 season.  That'll make Cory 31 at the start of the season.  Can we still expect him to play at the same level that's playing now?  I hope so, but who knows.  It's a shame we're wasting Cory's best years with these futile efforts.

Just food for thought.  An interesting point for discussion I guess - like I said above, I'm happy we have Cory.  But it's an interesting point to consider that we could be have potentially drafted some top-3 talent for the next few years to right the ship (a la the Penguins) with average goaltending.

It is true that Schneider has kept this team out of getting a super high pick, but imagine last year going into the season with garbage goaltending again, knowing that the Devils will probably finish quite low without a 1st round draft pick.  You can't discount how awful a season that could've been.

--- DISCLAIMER: I think Cory is the man. I'm happy the Devils have him. The following is just for discussion. Don't jump on me. ---

Cory has single-handedly kept this team from being in contention for the first overall pick. Can't fault the guy for being a beast obviously - but I'm almost tempted to argue that the Devils would've been better off with an average-to-below-average goalie (hell, even Marty) this year to fully embrace the rebuild. And probably next season, and the next as well..

And while we're at it - how long do you guys think it'll take for the Devils to become relevant again? Two years? Three? I think saying less than four or five seasons is being optimistic when considering the glaring holes in the Devils current roster. But let's say Lou (or whoever's GM at that point :thumbsup: ) manages to field an average team in.. three years, the 2017-2018 season. That'll make Cory 31 at the start of the season. Can we still expect him to play at the same level that's playing now? I hope so, but who knows. It's a shame we're wasting Cory's best years with these futile efforts.

Just food for thought. An interesting point for discussion I guess - like I said above, I'm happy we have Cory. But it's an interesting point to consider that we could be have potentially drafted some top-3 talent for the next few years to right the ship (a la the Penguins) with average goaltending.

It is good food for thought, Cory is a beast with very little in front of him. I am hoping it doesn't take 5 years to right this ship because Cory will be burnt out by then. Cory was the best move by Lou in the past 5 years. It's a shame these past two years he had to put up with what he got. I sometimes wonder if he thinks he made a mistake re signing with the Devils.

Edited by BostonNala370

I think anytime you have a shot to add a goalie who clearly has potential to be in Top 10 and possibly Top 5 and is still relatively young to boot, you have to go for it.  We see what Cory can do for a poor team...imagine what he can do for an average one.  The Devils don't have to be a top-talent team to contend...Cory's the kind of guy who can steal games and points.  It's really really nice when you have a guy in net that you don't have to find ways to overcome, and who can give you a boost. 

The Devils really had nothing in their system to boot.  Goalies with Cory's potential don't come along often.  I think Lou was right to jump on that.   

That being said, it would've been nice if Cory was just a couple of years younger.  I think almost everyone has accepted the fact that the rebuild that the Devils need is not going to be quick, but Cory's presence and age almost dictates that it can't take forever...the Devils have to find a way to at least be a "Get in the playoffs and hope Cory and another player or two can carry the load"-type of team within three years.  Cory having only so many prime years is one of many reasons why this can't be a 3-5 year thing...if this turns into a 6-7 year drought of missing the playoffs (and the team continues to be this painful to watch), this team is going to have a hell of a time drawing 10K most nights.     

Save% is .926 and GAA is down to 2.22. Guy has just been awesome. Really deserves to be a Vezina finalist.