If we pick 7th.... Who would you choose.

caron14

You don't think some teams draft based on their needs? I figured that's why Seth Jones made it to Nashville a couple years ago.

From what I remember, Seth Jones was slated to go either #1 or #2.  The fact that he dropped to #4 (from what I remember) surprised many and was pretty much the BPA.

From what I remember, Seth Jones was slated to go either #1 or #2.  The fact that he dropped to #4 (from what I remember) surprised many and was pretty much the BPA.

Same thing happened with Adam Larsson. He was predicted to go 2nd all along. I was at Pru Ctr. We were all outside when Fla. picked Huberdeau, we were all very excited and new it was going to be Lars! i was also hoping for Hamilton or Strome,(at the time) but happy with Lars

Same thing happened with Adam Larsson. He was predicted to go 2nd all along. I was at Pru Ctr. We were all outside when Fla. picked Huberdeau, we were all very excited and new it was going to be Lars! i was also hoping for Hamilton or Strome,(at the time) but happy with Lars

I was at that draft party too and almost all of us were very happy.  He has had a little bit of a slow start to his career but it looks like he is developing into a fine defenseman.

As the draft gets closer, I'm getting more scared that we'll choose Crowse. Seems like a total Devils move right there. Anyone know why he's ranked so high?

If you look at the 2015 draft thread, Cory Pronman (ESPN paywall) had an article acknowledging the controversy but still concluding he should be a top ten pick. The sum of it is that at worst you are getting a top end defensive forward, but that there's still a good chance that he will produce offensively at the NHL level as well. His offensive numbers have improved as of late, and he was one of the few under 18 types to make the team Canada under 20 roster, which suggests there's more to his game than the stat page suggests.

All this tells me that I would not go crazy if the Devils took him at seven, assuming Marner and Strome are off the board, which seems pretty likely. Still I wouldn't be thrilled about it. I was afraid though that the Devils would have taken him at 4 or 5 when it looked like they could be picking in one of those spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

absolutely not. you take mcdavid. this is about as untradeable a pick as possible.

I mean, that's a trade you make, but it's not something that Toronto would do unless their marketing people are running the show. You could very well have an entire first line just in Nylander, JVR and Marner, who you would likely end up with with Toronto's first this year which should be no worse than number 5. Then Toronto figures to be pretty terrible next year even with McDavid where you have some excellent players in the top three of the 2016 pool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel

absolutely not. you take mcdavid. this is about as untradeable a pick as possible.

Yes because 1 player is gonna turn this team around. Being bad no longer guarantees you a great pick, so rebuilding that way is a crap shoot. That trade package would instantly turn this franchise around. Good thing you aren't a GM.

Yes because 1 player is gonna turn this team around. Being bad no longer guarantees you a great pick, so rebuilding that way is a crap shoot. That trade package would instantly turn this franchise around. Good thing you aren't a GM.

McDavid probably makes the Devils a playoff team next year. And in the short term, on his own is better than what you would get in that trade. It's in the longer term that the trade would really pay off.

1 player would turn this team around.  If McDavid is as advertised, he turns whatever he plays with into a legitimate 1st line, no matter who the other guys on his line are.  This wouldn't happen right away, but in 2-3 years it would.

Edited by Triumph

This is wrong. Certain generational players are worth more than any number of really good players. It's not a tradeable pick. McDavid is more likely to turn this team around than what you would get in that trade.

If some team could offer Crosby and the third overall pick for the first overall pick this year, it would probably still be a trade you don't do if you are the latter team.

Edited by Neb00rs

McDavid probably makes the Devils a playoff team next year. And in the short term, on his own is better than what you would get in that trade. It's in the longer term that the trade would really pay off.

There isn't a single player dead or alive that makes this team a playoff team.

This is wrong. Certain generational players are worth more than any number of really good players. It's not a tradeable pick. McDavid is more likely to turn this team around than what you would get in that trade.

If some team could offer Crosby and the third overall pick for the first overall pick this year, it would probably still be a trade you don't do if you are the latter team.

Right that is 2 players. I'll take my shot with the 4, one of which is a great NHL'er. One that looks to have a ton of upside and 2 very good picks. What if he refused to report because of the Devils style? I take the 4 players and have a decent shot of a skilled top 6 again.

There isn't a single player dead or alive that makes this team a playoff team.

You are nuts. Add Crosby or a Getzlaf as our number 1 center and its a playoff team with our defense and goaltending. Guys like that add so much more production for the entire team. Edited by Zubie#8

You are nuts. Add Crosby or Getzlaf as our number 1 center and its a playoff team with our defense and goaltending. Guys like that add so much more production for the entire team.

You can't be serious if you think adding 1 of those 2 makes this a playoff team. It's not how the game works.

You can't be serious if you think adding 1 of those 2 makes this a playoff team. It's not how the game works.

For this current squad it absolutely does. No question about it. Adding Crosby adds SO MUCH more offensive production from him and his wingers. This team would have 30-40 goals more. With Cory putting up a .925 save % theres no doubt they are a playoff team. Edited by Zubie#8
  • Like 1

You are nuts. Add Crosby or a Getzlaf as our number 1 center and its a playoff team with our defense and goaltending. Guys like that add so much more production for the entire team.

Yep. McDavid with Cammy would do some nice things. Plus you finally get to move Zajac to second line. Free agents may want to play with a guy that good, also. If he's Crosby level, suddenly the Devils are in the nbc games.