Mikhail Grigorenko

Triumph

Well, the dream of Brett Connolly on the Devils died when he was sent to Boston for 2 2nd round picks, but it's just as well - 2 2nd round picks is too much for NJ to spend on a guy with his track record.  The question is, is Mikhail Grigorenko an intriguing option for NJ?

He's in the same boat as Stefan Matteau was - he was called up too early and he can no longer return to the minors without passing through waivers, something which I don't think he will do.  Buffalo looks kinda like this for next year:

E. Kane-Eichel-B. Gionta

Ennis-S. Reinhart-?

Moulson-Girgensons-M. Foligno?

Who Cares

Now there's holes on Buffalo's RW and maybe that's where they will slot Grigorenko in, but there's probably no spot for him at center unless they use Eichel on the wing.

Here's the pros to Grigorenko:

Good numbers in the minors:  in 52 games, Grigorenko has 14 goals and 28 assists in the AHL.  Those are solid numbers and they don't look goosed by better teammates.

Can play center and right wing.

Possible excellent upside.

Jay Grossman is his agent and has dealt with the Devils plenty in recent years

Cons:

Obviously, the Russian thing, but that's less of a factor with the decline of the ruble.  

There were rumors going around that Grigorenko is older than his stated birth age - well, that's a problem if it's true

There've been questions about his effort and defense

I'm not sure how willing Buffalo is to trade him but if NJ offered a 2nd and Gelinas or a 2nd and Matteau for a 3rd and Grigorenko, I think they'd at least have to listen.  I don't love offering Matteau in this theoretical trade but NJ already has 2 guys for his spot plus a bunch of guys in the minors who can theoretically fill that spot in the years to come.  It would be great if NJ could move S. Gionta instead of one of their young players as a sentimental throw-in but I don't think that's how a trade like this will work.

Anyway it may not work out because Buffalo seems to have an RW issue like NJ does and I don't see how trading him makes that better.

Yeah, I wouldnt mind giving him a shot. He could really provide this team a shot in the arm and give us that soft minute scoring 2C in the future NJ could use. Value probably isnt high due to his performance being up and down.

To BUF: Gelinas, FLA 2nd

To NJ: Grigorenko

Their willingness to move him will likely depend on whether Eichel goes back to BU next season. If Eichel goes back to school, I'm sure Buffalo would look to hold on to him.

Has he given any indication that he'll go back to college, because I haven't seen anything that even suggests it's a possibility.  Unless he's pulled the wool over everyone's eyes with his performance or Buffalo acts in really bad faith by keeping him in the AHL, he's a shoe-in to be in the NHL next year and will be a millionaire at age 19. 

Edited by Daniel

Has he given any indication that he'll go back to college, because I haven't seen anything that even suggests it's a possibility. Unless he's pulled the wool over everyone's eyes with his performance or Buffalo acts in really bad faith by keeping him in the AHL, he's a shoe-in to be in the NHL next year and will be a millionaire at age 19.

http://nesn.com/2015/06/jack-eichel-hasnt-decided-to-play-in-nhl-or-at-boston-university-next-season/

It seems insane that Eichel would go back to school; I think he's just being nice to BU. He won the Hobey Baker, his team made the NCAA Finals (although they lost), what more does he have to accomplish there?

He'll probably be in the NHL, but I guess it's possible he wants another year of the 'college experience'. Plus, he's a Boston kid, so who knows if or how much that may play into it. Edited by MadDog2020

its just weird he would enter the draft then in a year where McDavid is certain to go before him.  he would be a #1 next year.  i guess you're guaranteed an NHL contract though if he gets drafted this year right? so then at least you don't risk injury and then you're effed

its just weird he would enter the draft then in a year where McDavid is certain to go before him.  he would be a #1 next year.  i guess you're guaranteed an NHL contract though if he gets drafted this year right? so then at least you don't risk injury and then you're effed

Am I wrong or would't he still be drafted this year? Staying in school doesn't have anything to do with eligibility it's based on age, right? 

Am I wrong or would't he still be drafted this year? Staying in school doesn't have anything to do with eligibility it's based on age, right? 

thats what i was wondering but the article states,

"The lure of the NHL will be strong, but it could benefit the Sabres if he returned to the Terriers for a sophomore season."

and then goes into more detail.  makes me think Buffalo would draft his rights, and then he'd return to BU

Calgary drafted Johnny Gaudreau in '11 and he played 2 more full seasons for the Terriers while Calgary kept his rights, so Buffalo could draft Eichel and he could continue his 'development' at BU without issue. He's in the draft, he'll be picked by Buffalo, the only question is does he go to the NHL or try and get that Frozen Four Championship and be BMOC for another year. I think the latter is a strong possibility, especially given Johnny Hockey did it there. I'm guessing it's a pretty damned good life.

Calgary drafted Johnny Gaudreau in '11 and he played 2 more full seasons for the Terriers while Calgary kept his rights, so Buffalo could draft Eichel and he could continue his 'development' at BU without issue. He's in the draft, he'll be picked by Buffalo, the only question is does he go to the NHL or try and get that Frozen Four Championship and be BMOC for another year. I think the latter is a strong possibility, especially given Johnny Hockey did it there. I'm guessing it's a pretty damned good life.

It would be an absolute shock if Eichel went back to BU for another year. While I'm not familiar with Gudreau's college career, he was an undersized fourth round pick, who had close to zero chance of making an NHL roster after his draft year, much less at the amount of money Eichel will get in salary, bonuses and maybe endorsements, not to mention immediately being a first line forward albeit on a crappy team. He won the Hobey Baker and as a freshman. College hockey hasn't seen anything like him since Paul Kariya.

All he has left to do in college is win a championship, which is far from a certainty even if he played for four years, and it ain't worth giving up being a millionaire at 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thats what i was wondering but the article states,

"The lure of the NHL will be strong, but it could benefit the Sabres if he returned to the Terriers for a sophomore season."

and then goes into more detail.  makes me think Buffalo would draft his rights, and then he'd return to BU

anyone who turns 18 in their draft year is eligible to be drafted and their rights are owned for a period of time depending on what they do before they are signed.

a drafted player that goes to college - his rights are owned by the drafting team as long as he is in college.

I am thinking that Eichel really doesn't have that much more to prove in in college.  Is there really that much more to learn for him at the college level?  I'm all about waiting another year or two on a player that is very likely a generational talent.  Winning a national title is a big deal, some NBA and NFL player have come out and said that their national title victories were more memorable than their Superbowl or NBA Championship wins.  I expect to see him in the NHL or he's been at the top of , but it wouldn't shock me if he returned for another year of college.  

I would honestly pick Eichel over McDavid if I was a GM, is that crazy? Maybe a little.  

I am fully on board with this. Even though he hasn't been great for Buffalo, I think there's a lot of untapped potential, and he seems like the type of player the Devils need. He's young, big, a good skater, and can score goals. I just wonder which of the Devils D is most expendable, since I'm hesitant to give up on Gelinas.

It would be an absolute shock if Eichel went back to BU for another year. While I'm not familiar with Gudreau's college career, he was an undersized fourth round pick, who had close to zero chance of making an NHL roster after his draft year, much less at the amount of money Eichel will get in salary, bonuses and maybe endorsements, not to mention immediately being a first line forward albeit on a crappy team. He won the Hobey Baker and as a freshman. College hockey hasn't seen anything like him since Paul Kariya.

All he has left to do in college is win a championship, which is far from a certainty even if he played for four years, and it ain't worth giving up being a millionaire at 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point was that he was allowed to continue his college career after getting drafted; there seemed to be some confusion in the thread as to whether or not that was allowed. And it would be a big shock - if he hadn't come out and said he was definitely considering it.