'NY' Riveters

MadDog2020

Riveting 

I'm not gonna watch either way so I agree they can fvck off. How many teams is that now that play in NJ but rock NY in their title? Giants, Jets, Red Bulls, and now the Riveters (might be the dumbest name in pro sports)?

They should make it a law that if you play in NJ your team name has to represent that or go play at Barclays or something. 

Edited by Jerzey
  • Like 1

It's kind of irritating that they wear kinda-Ranger like uniforms. Colors wise at least

The Devils should've demanded they changed the colors up and remove NY from the name

And yes, the Jets and Giants should probably have been changed to NJ a long time ago. Or NY/NJ, something like that (Jets did have their offices/practice facilities in NY for a very long time) But the Giants have been very firmly entrenched in NJ since the mid 1970's.

• Like 1

It's kind of irritating that they wear kinda-Ranger like uniforms. Colors wise at least

The Devils should've demanded they changed the colors up and remove NY from the name

And yes, the Jets and Giants should probably have been changed to NJ a long time ago. Or NY/NJ, something like that (Jets did have their offices/practice facilities in NY for a very long time) But the Giants have been very firmly entrenched in NJ since the mid 1970's.

Yes the Devils should absolutely demand the removal of the NY name, but they won't because $. fvck pride when you can bank a few extra bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Yes the Devils should absolutely demand the removal of the NY name, but they won't because $. fvck pride when you can bank a few extra bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just remember (and this worries the crap out of me) our owners are the one that slapped STUBHUB on the uniforms of the Philadelphia 76ers.  And we have a very no nonsense old school fan base (look at how R&R pt 2 is still clung to) 

I think our new owners have done a nice job stabilizing things for the most part, but when it comes to stuff like the Riveters, and down the line ads on jerseys, Lou would put his foot down. These guys will lead the charge.

Just remember (and this worries the crap out of me) our owners are the one that slapped STUBHUB on the uniforms of the Philadelphia 76ers.  And we have a very no nonsense old school fan base (look at how R&R pt 2 is still clung to) 

I think our new owners have done a nice job stabilizing things for the most part, but when it comes to stuff like the Riveters, and down the line ads on jerseys, Lou would put his foot down. These guys will lead the charge.

Yeah Lou would never allow the Riveters unless the name was changed (or at least adjusted to NJ/NY or something, like the old MetroStars). I understand business is business, but this annoys me and it should annoy all Devils fans that a team called 'NY' is playing in OUR fvcking practice rink. Go play in the sh!thole Garden if you wanna be a NY team. I'm sick of this sh!t.

52 minutes ago, '7' said:

Are you really trying to connect owners dealings with the 76ers to the Devils by way of a women's team that it, or the entire league, will likely fold within the next 1-3 years?

I won't lose any sleep at night over the name of a team that draws less than an ECHL and probably even a FHL team does.

Edited by DevsMan84

this feels like in highschool when a girl would be super upset and make a scene cause another chick bought the same dress that she bought the week before

It's really but really not a big deal and not something to lose sleep over lol 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah Lou would never allow the Riveters unless the name was changed (or at least adjusted to NJ/NY or something, like the old MetroStars). I understand business is business, but this annoys me and it should annoy all Devils fans that a team called 'NY' is playing in OUR fvcking practice rink. Go play in the sh!thole Garden if you wanna be a NY team. I'm sick of this sh!t.

With the new ownership, they never had the 'need" to run every business adventure (or source of income) they wanted to take on  to Lou. If they want to bring in indoor soccer, they'll do what they damn well please.  

I'm sick of every NY team playing in NJ. (like the Statue of Liberty

42 minutes ago, roomtemp said:

Is this a multi year deal to play in the practice rink? If not I can see why they'd hedge their bets and not change the name in case they go back into the city/state borders next year.

The feel of that league has FHL written all over it.  They will most likely bounce from rink to rink until them and eventually the entire league will fold.

On 08/02/2016 at 1:31 PM, DevsMan84 said:

I don't think it is a huge deal.  Plenty of teams play outside the borders of what their team name says.

New Jersey teams using New York names is a hell of a lot different from the Pistons playing in Auburn Mills, or whatever. New Jersey is a culturally unique place, and things like this are at an almost unfathomable level of disrespect as far as I'm concerned. Everyone's right, we should pass a state law preventing this kind of thing.

I would 100% buy tickets for this if it didn't keep the NY identity. I think making strides to address the gender gap in sports is important, but I've long spent my last dollar helping New York teams turn out crowds and profits in my state.

On 8/3/2016 at 4:37 PM, Devilsfan118 said:

Sweet, another "New York" team that won't be getting a single dime from me!

Won't get a dime from me either.  Who are they anyway?  Are you saying the Jets and Giants do not get $ from you?  Don't think they're hurting.

On 8/2/2016 at 2:40 PM, MadDog2020 said:

You think the Garden wants them?  I wish NJ would take the Liberty, too.

On 8/6/2016 at 2:33 PM, thecoffeecake said:

New Jersey teams using New York names is a hell of a lot different from the Pistons playing in Auburn Mills, or whatever. New Jersey is a culturally unique place, and things like this are at an almost unfathomable level of disrespect as far as I'm concerned. Everyone's right, we should pass a state law preventing this kind of thing.

I would 100% buy tickets for this if it didn't keep the NY identity. I think making strides to address the gender gap in sports is important, but I've long spent my last dollar helping New York teams turn out crowds and profits in my state.

Wait, are you serious with the 2nd paragraph or being sarcastic?  I am assuming the latter.

Anyways, you do realize that In terms of the Giants and Jets, the Meadowlands is closer to NYC than Auburn Hills is to Detroit, or Arlington is to D*ll*s or Landover is to DC, right?

On 8/3/2016 at 4:12 PM, ThreeCups said:

Wait, you guys didn't jump for season tickets to this?!? 

I just called to ask how much they would pay me to show up.  The rep seemed confused.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2016 at 1:39 PM, '7' said:

Why would they want to take New York out of their name?  You guys do realize that North and Central Jersey exists as it does due to it's proximity to NYC, right?  You do realize they are all part of the same television market, correct?

What is funny, and I never knew this until I saw the special on the 86 Giants and Moonachie, is when the Giants did announce the move to the Meadowlands, the mayor of NYC at the time tried to sue to force them to change their name.