Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

It shouldn't surprise you, Salem is almost a 2 hour drive to get to a Devils game. Being a Devils fan down in that whole area is not the norm when the Flyers are way closer. It's just how it is. 

Joke's on him for being from Salem

• Like 1

South Jersey is Flyers country, and every player seems to want to play for the team they liked as a kid. I don't know why anyone gets upset by that. 

Of course the one guy who actually grew up a Devils fan in NJ, John Carlson, talks about how much he loves Washington and wants to stay there. [emoji849] So I agree, the 'childhood team' garbage from some of these morons gets a little old when you're never a beneficiary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Of course the one guy who actually grew up a Devils fan in NJ, John Carlson, talks about how much he loves Washington and wants to stay there. emoji849.png So I agree, the 'childhood team' garbage from some of these morons gets a little old when you're never a beneficiary.

Carlson is originally from Massachusetts, and just said he didn't like the Rangers growing up in Jersey.  It sounded like he was a casual Devils fan at best.

I get the sense that it's not uncommon for top teenage hockey players (or really any upper echelon teenage athelete in any sport) to not be anywhere close to the ardent fans of a particular team that people like us are.

And when you think about it, did the Rangers really get anyone that was any good because they were Ranger fans growing up other than Shattenkirk?  You don't even really see the, I'm going home to play for the Leafs or Habs, as much as it's made out to be.

Edited by Daniel

20 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

This is absolutely true. My cousin for a little while looked to be a lock for at least being drafted; was playing Junior A's and was a freshman captain of his state-winning high school. Didn't pan out for him; some injuries and he never really kept growing. But whenever I'd hang around with he and his hockey friends (TVR was one of them) I thought it was so bizarre that none of them really had a team. A few rangers fans, a few Devils fans, but none of them cared much or knew what was going on too much. It wasn't a small sample size either.

When I was growing up and playing plenty of the kids I played with had a team, but hardly followed them at all. Possibly because they spent so much time playing they didn't want to watch it? Not sure.

Carlson is originally from Massachusetts, and just said he didn't like the Rangers growing up in Jersey.  It sounded like he was a casual Devils fan at best.
 I get the sense that it's not uncommon for top teenage hockey players (or really any upper echelon teenage athelete in any sport) to not be anywhere close to the ardent fans of a particular team that people like us are.
And when you think about it, did the Rangers really get anyone that was any good because they were Ranger fans growing up other than Shattenkirk?  You don't even really see the, I'm going home to play for the Leafs or Habs, as much as it's made out to be.

You really love to argue just for sh!ts and giggles don't you? Carlson grew up in Colonia. He was born in Massachusetts, he spent the majority of his life in NJ. He's from NJ. And he's said he grew up a Devils fan more than once.

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

It shouldn't surprise you, Salem is almost a 2 hour drive to get to a Devils game. Being a Devils fan down in that whole area is not the norm when the Flyers are way closer. It's just how it is. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

South Jersey is Flyers country, and every player seems to want to play for the team they liked as a kid. I don't know why anyone gets upset by that. 

Not surprised, not upset. :D I am Annoyed. He says he's from Jersey and wants to play "here". "Here" is New Jersey.  You did not grow up in Philly so don't say you want to play "here" when you grew up 40 miles from there. 

I grew up closer to Philly too. Most friends were Phillies/Flyers fans (those that actually liked hockey) & most adults I associated with were Rangers/Mets/Yanks fans.  There was one team that represented my state so that's where my allegiance went. To choose for convenience sake? Meh, figures, Flyers "fan". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

You really love to argue just for sh!ts and giggles don't you? Carlson grew up in Colonia. He was born in Massachusetts, he spent the majority of his life in NJ. He's from NJ. And he's said he grew up a Devils fan more than once.

In the article I saw somewhere (might have been Newsday), he was asked if he was a Ranger fan growing up, because it was asked by a Ranger beat writer covering a Caps/Rags game.  He said no, and made a point of saying he was from Massachusetts originally.  He then said he was a Devils fan, but not really enthusiastically so, or nowhere near the extent that we are, or probably even the average fan that goes to a handful of games a year.  

So basically, even if he makes it to free agency, he doesn't appear to have been a really big Devils fan growing up that he would give some sort of home town discount by virtue of that.

With rare exceptions, pro atheletes view things a lot differently than we do.  And it seems, for the most part, that they don't have strong team allegiances growing up.

What Shattenkirk did was more the exception than the rule. I think most guys don't decide where to play based on who they cheered for growing up, they decide based on appeal of city, $, term, caliber of team and which roster is the best fit/opportunity. Obviously for a lower level player it is based most on who will offer them a contract. 

Edited by Antiquated Colorado Rockie

7 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

What Shattenkirk did was more the exception than the rule. I think most guys don't decide where to play based on who they cheered for growing up, they decide based on appeal of city, $, term, caliber of team and which roster is the best fit/opportunity. Obviously for a lower level player it is based most on who will offer them a contract. 

Yeah, I mean the last time I remember someone making a point of going to play for the team they grew up rooting for was Clarkson signing with Toronto, and they still had to give him that ridiculous contract.

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Rick Tocchet behind the bench during a game: Johnny, whats your thoughts on what you're seeing out here?

MacLean: WELL RICKY THE GUYS HAVEN'T GENERATED MUCH BUT THEY'RE MOVING THEIR LEGS AND THEY GOTTA STICK TO THE GAMEPLAN AND CLICHE AND CLICHE AND CLICHE. BACK TO YOU RICK.

• Like 5

Rick Tocchet behind the bench during a game: Johnny, whats your thoughts on what you're seeing out here?
MacLean: WELL RICKY THE GUYS HAVEN'T GENERATED MUCH BUT THEY'RE MOVING THEIR LEGS AND THEY GOTTA STICK TO THE GAMEPLAN AND CLICHE AND CLICHE AND CLICHE. BACK TO YOU RICK.

WELL YA KNOW TOCCHS, THE GUYS AREN'T YA KNOW GETTING MUCH OF A YA KNOW FORECHECK YA KNOW, BUT IF THEY STICK TO THE PLAN YA KNOW THINGS WILL PICK UP YA KNOW.

• Like 9

On 7/22/2017 at 11:06 AM, Martyisth3b3st said:

This is absolutely true. My cousin for a little while looked to be a lock for at least being drafted; was playing Junior A's and was a freshman captain of his state-winning high school. Didn't pan out for him; some injuries and he never really kept growing. But whenever I'd hang around with he and his hockey friends (TVR was one of them) I thought it was so bizarre that none of them really had a team. A few rangers fans, a few Devils fans, but none of them cared much or knew what was going on too much. It wasn't a small sample size either.

Have heard many guys say this, I think it is the fact that the better kids play on teams that travel to so many tournaments, they simply do not have much time to watch the NHL.  A kid I knew played on 2 different "elite" teams on LI when we were in Jr High and HS.  In elementary school he was a big Isles fan, but when he made these teams he simply didn't have time to watch.  He had practice almost every night during the week and had games/tournaments on weekends.

Markov signed in the KHL for the year FWIW... 

ETA: link with details  -  http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/07/27/andrei-markov-says-hes-khl-bound-after-saying-goodbye-to-canadiens/

ETA2: TG tweet  -  Tom Gulitti ‏Verified account @TomGulittiNHL

Sometimes things don't make sense. Markov wanted to stay with Canadiens, said he was willing to take 1-year deal. Why isn't he back?

Edited by LittleBallofHate

I am having the hardest time today with hockey withdraw symptoms. I've done nothing but watch hockey videos since I got home from work yesterday. Even bought 2003 game 7 against Anaheim off amazon. I know the team won't be making a 180 next season, but I am just super hopeful they will be competitive and fun to watch most nights with all these young talented kids on the team.

• Like 1

Good article on what Gomez learned from his (only Devils & pre-Devils) coaches throughout the years: 

http://www.nyhockeyjournal.com/nyhockeyjournal/august_2017/MobilePagedArticle.action?articleId=1135992&app=false#articleId1135992

Snippet: 

"I never, ever hated a guy so much," Gomez stated. "But Burnsie lit a fire in me the second half of (the 2002-03 season) I didn’t know I had. The greatest day of my life was when I came back to the bench and he said something and I (cursed at him). Burnsie got a little chuckle and responded, ‘Oh, tough tonight, all right.’ 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Good article on what Gomez learned from his (only Devils & pre-Devils) coaches throughout the years: 

http://www.nyhockeyjournal.com/nyhockeyjournal/august_2017/MobilePagedArticle.action?articleId=1135992&app=false#articleId1135992

Snippet: 

"I never, ever hated a guy so much," Gomez stated. "But Burnsie lit a fire in me the second half of (the 2002-03 season) I didn’t know I had. The greatest day of my life was when I came back to the bench and he said something and I (cursed at him). Burnsie got a little chuckle and responded, ‘Oh, tough tonight, all right.’ 

Burnsie ruled. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Snippet: 

Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1