2017-2018 Prospects Thread

Derlique

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Good read on our guys that were invited to their respective countries' WJC selection camps: https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/devils-well-represented-at-wjc-selection-camps/c-293902504

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously not all of these guys are going to pan out as players in the big leagues but exciting stuff nonetheless. This regimes drafting has been such a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1

Anyone shed light on what went down in Bellville last night. Looked very chippy but 3/4 game misconducts. Couple bench clearing type stuff. I saw highlights but I saw head hunting, but don't know what lead up to it.

Mike Morreale‏ @mikemorrealeNHL

Joey Anderson (NJD) is fast and smart. Fun to watch. The line of he and Bellows/Mittelstadt has defense backing up ... rather quickly.

ETA later tweet from MM: Joey Anderson with a goal. The kid is looking good @NJDevils' fans.

2 ETA: article from MM with some great info posted below - full article here (though this is the only part on Anderson below): https://www.nhl.com/news/5-things-usa-hockey-world-junior-camp-joseph-anderson-named-captain/c-294126240?tid=281266438 

Right wing Joseph Anderson of the University of Minnesota Duluth was named captain of the United States National Junior Team on Sunday.

Anderson, selected in the third round (No. 73) of the 2016 NHL Draft by the New Jersey Devils, is one of seven returning players at camp this week.

Anderson had 37 points (12 goals, 25 assists) and a plus-11 rating in 39 games as a freshman at Minnesota Duluth and has nine points (four goals, five assists) and a plus-5 rating in 13 games this season. He played alongside Arizona Coyotes forward Clayton Keller and Colin White (Ottawa Senators) for the gold medal-winning U.S. at the 2017 WJC.

"I said it last year, and I'll say it again ... I wish I could steal [Anderson]," said U.S. coach Bob Motzko, who coaches at St. Cloud State University. "He can kill penalties, play on the power play, and he plays so hard. You can put him in any situation and he'll accept anything you throw at him."

The alternate captains will be determined at a later date.

Video of Joey being named captain: 

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Like 4

A few more good quotes from MM at nhl.com re: Anderson: 

It's the second time in his hockey career Anderson will be a captain and first since playing Pee-Wee hockey in his bantam year. He was an alternate captain for USA Hockey's National Team Development Program under-18 team in 2015-16.

"My staple is going to be work ethic and how we play and go about our business in a very professional manner as a team on a mission," Anderson said. "I want to make sure everyone is comfortable in the locker room. We've got some guys at camp who might not have been members of the NTDP who feel as though they don't have that same connection as everyone else, but that's where I can help to make sure we're as tight a group as we can be, making sure there are no barriers between guys."

Quote of the day

"It was a pretty surreal moment when my brother was named captain on Sunday night. When coach Motzko announced that it was Joey I thought of everything we've been through our whole lives. To see the look on his face when he got named captain was priceless. He had that happy look, but there was a little shock, too. I was just like 'Wow.' It's something he's dreamed about for a while and having it happen in front of us was amazing." -- defenseman Michael Anderson (Los Angeles Kings)

https://www.nhl.com/news/5-things-learned-on-day-4-of-us-world-junior-camp/c-294148574?tid=281266438

• Like 2

Devils Insiders with a nice bit of info about Jeremy Davies:     Devils Insiders‏ @DevilsInsiders 

Cool to see #NJDevils 2016 7th round pick Jeremy Davies have the chance to open some eyes at the Spengler Cup and maybe play for Canada at the Olympics.    Side note, we recently asked @coreypronman of @TheAthleticNHL about Davies:

image.png.63ee9d72e527fa9d9e34287fa9dd432c.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good read on Jacob MacDonald :D  https://theahl.com/macdonald-rising-through-ranks-of-pro-hockey

Snippet: 

“Our scout, Nick Vitucci, has connections in the ECHL and Toledo,” acknowledged Binghamton Devils head coach Rick Kowalsky. “He saw MacDonald play a few times and knows the coach Dan Watson. We were looking for a defenseman (last year) to bring in, and not necessarily a power-play guy at the time. It was a matter of finding the best defenseman available when we needed it.”

MacDonald was told he would eventually be receiving a call from the then Albany Devils general manager Tom Fitzgerald, but he had a dentist appointment to take care of due to his bottom teeth being knocked out in a prior game.

“I am in the chair, my teeth are all jacked up, and I see Tom Fitzgerald calling,” said MacDonald. “They had their hands in my mouth, and I couldn’t answer the call..."

• Like 1

Good read on Jacob MacDonald [emoji3]  https://theahl.com/macdonald-rising-through-ranks-of-pro-hockey
Snippet: 
“Our scout, Nick Vitucci, has connections in the ECHL and Toledo,” acknowledged Binghamton Devils head coach Rick Kowalsky. “He saw MacDonald play a few times and knows the coach Dan Watson. We were looking for a defenseman (last year) to bring in, and not necessarily a power-play guy at the time. It was a matter of finding the best defenseman available when we needed it.”
MacDonald was told he would eventually be receiving a call from the then Albany Devils general manager Tom Fitzgerald, but he had a dentist appointment to take care of due to his bottom teeth being knocked out in a prior game.
“I am in the chair, my teeth are all jacked up, and I see Tom Fitzgerald calling,” said MacDonald. “They had their hands in my mouth, and I couldn’t answer the call..."

MacDonald is intriguing. If he keeps producing and playing like this in Binghamton, we may need to give him an NHL contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1