GDT: Thank You Patty (6PM ceremony, 8PM puckdrop)

RunninWithTheDevil

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Someone posted earlier that apparently Madden wasn't well liked by his teammates? I'd never heard anything like that before. The Dog is one of my all-time favorite Devils and always will be (and he helped inspire my screen name lol), but that's disappointing to hear if true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean a shirtless dude flexing in a limo drinking champaign after winning the cup. What's not to love? 

18j5fiz4vr09xjpg.jpg

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've heard the Madden stuff. Not that it had anything to do with on ice effort but he was known to be extremely cocky and a bit aloof. He didn't have many friends during his run here. Lou loved him though.
But I mean in fairness there were issues with Richer (turned out it was severe depression) issues with Claude. Steve Thomas wasn't well liked here and didn't enjoy being a Devils. Later vented a bit about it. Tikkanen came here for about ten games and was an a$$hole to end all a$$holes. Lou couldn't wait to ship him out

Oh yeah I remember Tikkanen being here for like 10 minutes, I think he may have the shortest Devils tenure ever outside of Deron Quint lol. Steve Thomas hated it here and the feeling was mutual, that douche was all we got back for trading the reigning Conn Smythe Trophy winner in one of the worst trades, if not the worst trade, in franchise history. Pep was being a fvcking d!ck with wanting to renegotiate the deal he had just signed, but trading him was one of the biggest mistakes Lou ever made here. We missed him during '96-'99. Getting him back in 2000- brilliant by Lou. Not resigning him in 2001? fvcking stupid. We could've used him against Colorado, his old team, in the Finals that year. Claude Lemeuix should've been a Devil until he retired. Him and Lou clashing, I believe, cost us Cups.

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Oh yeah I remember Tikkanen being here for like 10 minutes, I think he may have the shortest Devils tenure ever outside of Deron Quint lol. Steve Thomas hated it here and the feeling was mutual, that douche was all we got back for trading the reigning Conn Smythe Trophy winner in one of the worst trades, if not the worst trade, in franchise history. Pep was being a fvcking d!ck with wanting to renegotiate the deal he had just signed, but trading him was one of the biggest mistakes Lou ever made here. We missed him during '96-'99. Getting him back in 2000- brilliant by Lou. Not resigning him in 2001? fvcking stupid. We could've used him against Colorado, his old team, in the Finals that year. Claude Lemeuix should've been a Devil until he retired. Him and Lou clashing, I believe, cost us Cups.

We also could have used McKay badly in 2001 because I remember the PP went to sh!t.  McKay was a huge part of the PP.  But we also need to remember COL was without Forsberg.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It's very easy to forget that when Stevens got here, players wanted to walk out - the idea that this high-paid guy was now on the nickel-and-dime Devils was hard for some guys to take.  The notion that Lou would re-negotiate a contract 4 years after that happened is beyond the pale.  He was right to ship him out and he was right to let him go in 2000 when he would've come to training camp as a 4th line forward.  Can't keep everyone.

We also could have used McKay badly in 2001 because I remember the PP went to sh!t.  McKay was a huge part of the PP.  But we also need to remember COL was without Forsberg.

Very true, McKay broke his hand in the ECF if I remember correctly, and it was a huge loss in the Finals. Forsberg was a huge difference maker too, so obviously we caught a break there that we couldn't take advantage of, sadly.

It's very easy to forget that when Stevens got here, players wanted to walk out - the idea that this high-paid guy was now on the nickel-and-dime Devils was hard for some guys to take.  The notion that Lou would re-negotiate a contract 4 years after that happened is beyond the pale.  He was right to ship him out and he was right to let him go in 2000 when he would've come to training camp as a 4th line forward.  Can't keep everyone.

Yeah I understand where you're coming from, I just wish Lou could've done better than Steve Thomas. Anyway you look at it, that was a bad trade- I find it hard to believe that was the best Lou could do for Pep at that time. And there's no doubt he was missed during that '96-'99 time period.

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I understand where you're coming from, I just wish Lou could've done better than Steve Thomas. Anyway you look at it, that was a bad trade- I find it hard to believe that was the best Lou could do for Pep at that time. And there's no doubt he was missed during that '96-'99 time period.

I really wish the Devils could've wound up with Wendel Clark instead...yeah, he was as injury-prone as it got, but Steve Thomas just never felt right.  I think Clark could've been a much better fit, especially following Lemieux.  

• Like 1

I really wish the Devils could've wound up with Wendel Clark instead...yeah, he was as injury-prone as it got, but Steve Thomas just never felt right.  I think Clark could've been a much better fit, especially following Lemieux.  

Agree 100%. I was pissed at the time too because I preferred Clark over Thomas. We got the sh!t end of the deal.

Now, onto the game:

1) Gotta give Kinkaid credit. I think NJ played a very solid defensive game, but he made some big stops when he had to. Nice to see a Devils goalie outplay the opposing one. 

2) Palmieri made two spectacular plays to score. Goal one was just a slick move to the middle on a 1 on 3 and then a sick shot. Goal 2 was all effort and hand-eye coordination. Nice to see KP stepping up in an up and down season.

3) I thought Hall was pretty quiet all game but somehow managed a multi-point game. I guess that's what elite players do.

4) Speaking of Hall, I touched on it before, but the fans were absolutely into it. On both goal announcements, "MVP" chants erupted when Hall was given assists. He has to absolutely be feeling the love in NJ. Also loved how relentless the crowd was towards the refs. In a game where NYI got away with at least 4 or 5 blatant infractions, they somehow ended up with more powerplays. Someone please explain how that happened?

5) I think Grabner and his line looked out of sync, which is to be expected. Let's hope he and Zacha find it sooner than later.

6) I think Bratt has to sit for a game or two. It's clear he's just out of gas. Hopefully they give him some extra rest for the stretch run

• Like 5

I sat in 105, had a great time. but however can't stand the ass-wipes not all that far form us. disrupting Bill Daly trying to talk. They were a source of embarrassment to rest of us Devil fans.  

I don't get it, is it anyone form NHL office that gets booed? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Trent Hunter beat them all :P

I've always been intrigued by the whole Tikkanen thing...has any dirt come out on what exactly happened with him?

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Agree 100%. I was pissed at the time too because I preferred Clark over Thomas. We got the sh!t end of the deal.

And then we had to deal with the fvcker beating us with a Game 3 Finals OT goal in 2003.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

Tikkanen missed curfew a few times, broke dress code, and then blurted out on the team bus after a bad game about when they were going to get the hookers and blow(when this was actually reported on the hookers and blow was replaced by something more benign. Like wings and beer) I think he was trying to loosen things up but with how buttoned up the Devils were at that time it was clear that Tikkanen didnt fit personality wise.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I sat in 105, had a great time. but however can't stand the ass-wipes not all that far form us. disrupting Bill Daly trying to talk. They were a source of embarrassment to rest of us Devil fans.  

I don't get it, is it anyone form NHL office that gets booed? 

I didn't boo but I think it's understandable why they do, he added nothing to the ceremony and really what was the point? They think people actually give a sh!t what they have to say when people don't even want to hear them. It's very ego centric and condescending to me. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

13 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I didn't boo but I think it's understandable why they do, he added nothing to the ceremony and really what was the point? They think people actually give a sh!t what they have to say when people don't even want to hear them. It's very ego centric and condescending to me. 

That was the only part of the ceremony I didn’t care for. 

7 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's the only thing that bugs me about some of my fellow Devils fans.  So cool seeing all these people at the Rock just like me. I just think they could be more respectful.  To me, the only negative thing that happened all night in addition to waiting in line to pee. Would like someone to explain why or what the NHL league office pissed them off permanently.  

Also, I'm one of those folks that don't understand why Betman gets booed as well. I think he was very good for the league/sport.  But thats a discussion for another day.

8 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

It's the only thing that bugs me about some of my fellow Devils fans.  So cool seeing all these people at the Rock just like me. I just think they could be more respectful.  To me, the only negative thing that happened all night in addition to waiting in line to pee. Would like someone to explain why or what the NHL league office pissed them off permanently.  

Also, I'm one of those folks that don't understand why Betman gets booed as well. I think he was very good for the league/sport.  But thats a discussion for another day.

Three lockouts (and counting) during his tenure has to be one of the biggest reasons. And recently, add not sending the NHL players to the Olympics.