Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

Tri actually wasn't that off-base with Zacha's total lack of luck (he mentioned it in the Lightning GDT thread)...it hasn't helped Pavel's cause that MoJo has been similarly snakebitten in the early going. 

That being said, you just reach a point where you're tired of hearing about lack of luck.  Zacha doesn't have a single point in his last 14 NHL games...it's simply time to change things up.  Zajac has been contributing some offense for about a half-season's worth of games now, dating back to last season...he tends to be a little boom-or-bust, but I'll take it...he even seems like he's gaining some confidence in his offensive abilities again...why not roll with it?

Odd early season stat:  Devils have scored exactly 3 goals in six out of their last seven games.  They were held to two in the other.  It's a little like an extended hitting streak, where you're going 1-for-4 a lot of nights.  Of course three goals per game isn't anything to sneeze at, but of course it's nice to get into the 4+ range here and there...especially since the D's been looking a little more iffy lately.  As great as the top line as been, the Devils have started becoming a little too reliant on them producing...really hope that Zajac moving up gets his linemates going.

And Bratt could almost work out like an early-season trade...nice to have him around. 

13 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

This might seem crazy, but NHL scouts might have more information than us. 

And that's not to defend Conte... Conte sucked at the end. Just the fact that Point fell to 79 in general

They have more information and certainly more experience.  But it's not worth anything if they have poor judgment or value the wrong things.

22 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Per Devils official twitter account:

Rooney and Zacha sent down to Binghamton

Seney and Gabriel called up from Bing to NJ

(this is not a joke)

God I hope Gabriel is just for the Isles 4th line punks and one game.

I can live with Seney for Zacha. While I doubt it, its very possible that without injuries, Zacha doesn't come back up this year. It wouldn't surprise me if Ray looks for broken prospect for broken prospect.

24 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Per Devils official twitter account:

Rooney and Zacha sent down to Binghamton

Seney and Gabriel called up from Bing to NJ

(this is not a joke)

With Noesen and Bratt injured I guessing the lines are going to look like this

Hall Hischier Palmieri

Johansson Zajac Coleman

Wood Seney Anderson

Boyle Dea Gabriel

On 11/1/2018 at 5:45 PM, Daniel said:

They have more information and certainly more experience.  But it's not worth anything if they have poor judgment or value the wrong things.

Painting with an extremely broad brush here, but scouts are good at identifying what a player is good/bad at. Weighing those things and valuing them...another thing entirely. Point was passed over because he's small and Tampa's made a killing of drafting small-ish players in later rounds. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Anyone else feel like Bratt's been out an awful long time with a jaw fracture that didn't need surgery? Or is it that he needs to be more careful because its not wired in place? I feel like guys come back with the full cage much quicker usually. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Anyone else feel like Bratt's been out an awful long time with a jaw fracture that didn't need surgery? Or is it that he needs to be more careful because its not wired in place? I feel like guys come back with the full cage much quicker usually. 

He just stopped eating baby food last week. It must have been bad enough that they thought he could make it worse if he ate solid food, so imagine what a contact sport could do.

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

He just stopped eating baby food last week. It must have been bad enough that they thought he could make it worse if he ate solid food, so imagine what a contact sport could do.

I agree, aside from the fact that guys play with a broken jaw all the time.

14 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yea idk. Do those guys usually have it wired? I imagine you can't play at all if it's wired, actually. 

I’m not sure. I guess I’m just wondering why he’s out and other guys come back. Or is this just the further pussification of the game and they won’t let him back?

I’m not sure what the effect of wiring is on ability to play. If you have a non surgical, non wired fracture, I can see them not wanting to let it get hit again and then you need surgery.  

I just don’t know the answer. I’m not advocating rushing him back, I’m just curious. 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

No, I was thinking the same thing. I figured he’d be back by now, but I’m no doctor, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. 

• Like 2

just saw this on a french TV show on RDS.

Basically showing the save % of NHL starters since December 2016. From goalies with at least 75 games played since that date.

So while it's not great to see Schneider there... At least he's not "the best goalie in the world. Paid 10.5m per season for another 8 years" 

663788869_ScreenShot2018-11-08at3_09_03AM.png.1ff5df14903222f2f23243f68a7b0d06.png

Edited by SterioDesign

On 11/6/2018 at 11:05 PM, Devilsfan118 said:

So, at the risk of letting the frustration bleed out of the GDT into another one..

Zacha and McLeod trending towards the "B" word has hurt this team tremendously.

Zacha will be the last of a long line of bad drafting by Conte. McLeod we knew he wouldn't be much as the drop of talent was considerable after the 10th pick. I remember not caring much by the time we drafted cause we knew there was nothing exciting. As usual a few later picks became something but that's always going to happen. Overall it was a pretty weak draft that year. McAvoy, Chychrun, Girard and Debrincat are the only one worth mentioning really