Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

4 hours ago, aclc79 said:

How long are we going to wait for him?  Or is just another Josephson?  Maybe he should go home, too.

zacha kind of blows, especially because we picked him like 9th overall.. but Josephson my god. my nephew is 5 and in learn to skate, id rather watch him play then Josephson.

Not sure if anyone here was aware of this (or attended), but Palms had a meet and greet down in Freehold today (place is called iPlayAmerica)...I took my daughter.  There was a "Super VIP" package where you get to chat with him for a few in a lounge-type area (I'd say there were 50 or so fans who paid the higher premium for this, including us...some finger foods were served and beer and wine was available).  As I'd never ever been to a player meet and greet before, I didn't really know what to expect.  Lounge itself was OK, nothing special...two big screen TVs had a continuous loop going of a number of Palms' goals as a Devil.  Also played a tutorial clip that I've seen on MSG previously, showing him with Sal shooting at a net with a wireframe "goalie".

Was cool meeting Palms...it's funny, for some reason I seem to forget that I'm over 6' and currently 215 lbs (lost a lot of body fat this past year due to strenuous exercise) in some settings...whenever I see a pro athlete out and about (or celebs in general I guess), for some reason I assume that he's going to be bigger and taller, even if logically that makes no sense.  He's listed at 5' 11", but man that seems kind of generous, based on what I saw...I'd guess 5' 9.5" or 5' 10" absolute tops.  He's about as lean as they come too...I'm guessing his body fat can't be much higher than 7 or 8%.  His weight is listed at 185 from I've seen, and that seems about right, but I could see him being 180 or even slightly less.

When he was announced, you could see that he was kind of in "Wow, fans come to meet me because I play hockey" mode, but in a truly good way...you could tell he was genuinely flattered by it all.  He comes off as a completely ordinary, down-to-earth, pretty easygoing and mellow dude (he wore a snug white hoodie and jeans, which added to the "regular joe" vibe)...he seems like the type who's probably a little nervous being the center of attention in a crowd full of strangers who are all there to meet HIM, but is able to quickly get past that and start chatting amiably as people begin to approach him.  Of course, a "meet-and-greet" is exactly that...a quick "nice to meet you", maybe a minute or so of conversation, a photo, and then onto the next...everyone knew that and accepted it, so no one seemed to be disappointed or expecting too much, which was nice.  I had on his black game-worn All-Star jersey...when I told him that it was the actual one he wore, he got a kick out of that.  Asked him if he ever thought he could one day put up the kinds of numbers here that he has, considering that he never got that kind of shot with the Ducks, and he said he definitely did, just knew he had to be a little patient when it came to getting a real opportunity, as there were simply guys ahead of him in Anaheim.  He was thrilled to become a Devil because he knew he would get that chance, and also because NJ is home to him and he loves it here.  I also asked him if he knew much about John MacLean (Palms was too young to remember him during his prime years here) and he actually did know a bit about him...I told him that he reminds me of JMac, in the best way possible, and I could tell he enjoyed and appreciated the comparison...told him that I hoped he'd still be a Devil after his current contract, and that I wished him luck possibly getting to 30 goals again this season and better times for the Devils next year.  I overheard some of his other conversations with other fans, and for whatever it's worth, he does genuinely seem to like playing for the Devils, in spite of all of the lean years.  Was really accommodating, and all in all, was a cool event.  My daughter had a blast...already asking me if we can go to another meet-and-greet sometime, heh heh.

On a side note, Connor Carrick was supposed to be there too, but I don't know if he ever showed.  There was a second, non-VIP M&G with Palms (very quick hello, autographed Palms photo, quick photo with Palms), so maybe Carrick was only there for that.  But I didn't see him anywhere.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not sure if anyone here was aware of this (or attended), but Palms had a meet and greet down in Freehold today (place is called iPlayAmerica)...I took my daughter.  There was a "Super VIP" package where you get to chat with him for a few in a lounge-type area (I'd say there were 50 or so fans who paid the higher premium for this, including us...some finger foods were served and beer and wine was available).  As I'd never ever been to a player meet and greet before, I didn't really know what to expect.  Lounge itself was OK, nothing special...two big screen TVs had a continuous loop going of a number of Palms' goals as a Devil.  Also played a tutorial clip that I've seen on MSG previously, showing him with Sal shooting at a net with a wireframe "goalie".

Was cool meeting Palms...it's funny, for some reason I seem to forget that I'm over 6' and currently 215 lbs (lost a lot of body fat this past year due to strenuous exercise) in some settings...whenever I see a pro athlete out and about (or celebs in general I guess), for some reason I assume that he's going to be bigger and taller, even if logically that makes no sense.  He's listed at 5' 11", but man that seems kind of generous, based on what I saw...I'd guess 5' 9.5" or 5' 10" absolute tops.  He's about as lean as they come too...I'm guessing his body fat can't be much higher than 7 or 8%.  His weight is listed at 185 from I've seen, and that seems about right, but I could see him being 180 or even slightly less.

When he was announced, you could see that he was kind of in "Wow, fans come to meet me because I play hockey" mode, but in a truly good way...you could tell he was genuinely flattered by it all.  He comes off as a completely ordinary, down-to-earth, pretty easygoing and mellow dude (he wore a snug white hoodie and jeans, which added to the "regular joe" vibe)...he seems like the type who's probably a little nervous being the center in a crowd full of strangers who are all there to meet HIM, but is able to quickly get past that and start chatting amiably as people begin to approach him.  Of course, a "meet-and-greet" is exactly that...a quick "nice to meet you", maybe a minute or so of conversation, a photo, and then onto the next...everyone knew that and accepted it, so no one seemed to be disappointed or expecting too much, which was nice.  I had on his black game-worn All-Star jersey...when I told him that it was the actual one he wore, he got a kick out of that.  Asked him if he ever thought he could one day put up the kinds of numbers here that he has, considering that he never got that kind of shot with the Ducks, and he said he definitely did, just knew he had to be a little patient when it came to getting a real opportunity, as there were simply guys ahead of him in Anaheim.  He was thrilled to become a Devil because he knew he would get that chance, and also because NJ is home to him and he loves it here.  I also asked him if he knew much about John MacLean (Palms was too young to remember him during his prime years here) and he actually did know a bit about him...I told him that he reminds me of JMac, in the best way possible, and I could tell he enjoyed and appreciated the comparison...told him that I hoped he'd still be a Devil after his current contract, and that I wished him luck possibly getting to 30 goals again this season and better times for the Devils next year.  I overheard some of his other conversations with other fans, and for whatever it's worth, he does genuinely seem to like playing for the Devils, in spite of all of the lean years.  Was really accommodating, and all in all, was a cool event.  My daughter had a blast...already asking me if we can go to another meet-and-greet sometime, heh heh.

On a side note, Connor Carrick was supposed to be there too, but I don't know if he ever showed.  There was a second, non-VIP M&G with Palms (very quick hello, autographed Palms photo, quick photo with Palms), so maybe Carrick was only there for that.  But I didn't see him anywhere.

Very cool, thanks for sharing the story. 

I used to have friends in Old Bridge and I’m very familiar with where you were, have been to more than one birthday party there lol. 

I think your Johnny Mac comparison is spot on, by the way. 

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Very cool, thanks for sharing the story. 

I used to have friends in Old Bridge and I’m very familiar with where you were, have been to more than one birthday party there lol. 

I think your Johnny Mac comparison is spot on, by the way. 

That was my first time there, but I’ve been to a number of similar places for exactly that reason:  birthday parties.  

I’ve always seen both MacLean and Palms as good players who had to scratch and claw for everything they get...and had to suffer through some tough years with the Devils.  In Palms’ case, I really hope he gets rewarded some day, while still wearing a Devils jersey.  There was no one that I was happier for on June 24, 1995 than John MacLean.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Good for him. I thought fans were really cold to give him that sarcastic cheer Monday night after he let in that bad goal from outside the blue line. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Good for him. I thought fans were really cold to give him that sarcastic cheer Monday night after he let in that bad goal from outside the blue line. 

I didn't care for that either and I didn't do the sarcastic cheer especially cause it really did take a funny bounce however with how the season has gone and missing the playoffs for the 7th time in 9 seasons I think a good portion of the fan base is just annoyed at this point. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I didn't care for that either and I didn't do the sarcastic cheer especially cause it really did take a funny bounce however with how the season has gone and missing the playoffs for the 7th time in 9 seasons I think a good portion of the fan base is just annoyed at this point. 

I usually shrug off plays like that, because fluke sh!t happens all the time and no one ever wants to be victim of it, it happens to all of us so everyone's allowed one bad one, but I sort of changed my tune after I heard either Cangi or Dano describe it - one of them, I forget who, said something like "Cory wanted to get in front of that one", and when I heard that it just made me feel worse about the goal, especially after what Cory's been through this season.  Granted the season is over and I'm sure there's a lack of effort and a desire to give your all, especially on a shot like that which comes across as harmless in 99% of those situations, but regardless, it's so easy to not have something like that happen - just do what you're supposed to, get in front of the puck, square up, and make sure it hits your body.  Cory was lazy on that play, and thought he could just scoop it up.  It's not the end of the world because like I said the season is over, but the given how badly the guy played for a ridiculously long time, right wrong or indifferent, it didn't leave me feeling good seeing how he played that shot.  

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I usually shrug off plays like that, because fluke sh!t happens all the time and no one ever wants to be victim of it, it happens to all of us so everyone's allowed one bad one, but I sort of changed my tune after I heard either Cangi or Dano describe it - one of them, I forget who, said something like "Cory wanted to get in front of that one", and when I heard that it just made me feel worse about the goal, especially after what Cory's been through this season.  Granted the season is over and I'm sure there's a lack of effort and a desire to give your all, especially on a shot like that which comes across as harmless in 99% of those situations, but regardless, it's so easy to not have something like that happen - just do what you're supposed to, get in front of the puck, square up, and make sure it hits your body.  Cory was lazy on that play, and thought he could just scoop it up.  It's not the end of the world because like I said the season is over, but the given how badly the guy played for a ridiculously long time, right wrong or indifferent, it didn't leave me feeling good seeing how he played that shot.  

I am pretty sure it bounced weirdly and that certainly didn't help things. He wasn't being lazy on it or anything intentionally "low effort". It is a bit of a stretch to make a claim like that just because of a really fluke goal. Marty let in that awful as fvck fluke goal during the SCF in 2003...def wasn't because he wasn't taking sh!t seriously. 

I'm chalking it up as a just an unlucky bad goal. He more than redeemed himself with the 45 other saves he had to make behind that sh!t-show squad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

John Madden had one like this against the Kings' Stephane Fiset, back in 1998-99 I believe...looked like an infielder missing a ground ball...was pretty funny. 

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I think you're really reading too far into this. It was just a bad bounce. The guy made 40 something saves that night, it's not like he wasn't putting in an effort. It clearly just took a funny hop at the hash marks. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

it's so easy to not have something like that happen - just do what you're supposed to, get in front of the puck, square up, and make sure it hits your body. 

Wow that is easy. Knowing that, nobody should be able to score, ever. You just ruined hockey. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Wow that is easy. Knowing that, nobody should be able to score, ever. You just ruined hockey. 

Bro, trust me, I know what I'm talking about.  I play beer league hockey bro.  If Cory would just listen to me, his game would improve ten-fold, bro.

;)

7 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I think the sarcastic cheer was worse cause it wasn't even the next play after the goal, it was in the third period on a long distance shot during a Devils powerplay. Cory was having a fantastic game besides the one goal that was in the first period, just was stupid to me.

• Like 1