Daniel

2019 Offseason Thread

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I would hope so. 

BUT

Let’s not forget Blackwood was in the ECHL two years ago. It’s possible his trade value may never be higher than right now based on his success last year. 

Trust me, I hope not, because I collect goalie jerseys and I loaded the fvck up on Blackwood lol. 

Eh. He was a second round pick and he's shown that he's at least pretty decent. Goalies take way longer to develop; they were talking about that star american goalie and how he's "at least 4 years away." 

22 years old and already playing a little bit in the show makes me think he's got sticking power. But I'd rather him spend another year in the AHL getting regular starting time if the Devils plan on going goalie by committee again this year. 

I'm still holding out hope that Schnieder's solid end to the season is indicative of a healthy, ready-to-go, Cory.

30 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

C008182E-1F5A-4F0F-83CE-E5D572381D08.gif

spacer.png

"That's not worth applause, dawg"

Draaaaaaamaaaa queeeeeeen

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

For the Devils to trade Blackwood, he would have to be part of a package for a realllllyy good player. Blackwood's value is most likely not at it's peak given exactly what you just said - he's not too far removed from the ECHL and has only played stellar for a quarter of one season. Most importantly, there's a chance he's a top goalie in the league next year for >700K. That's a valuable contract.

Yeah. I think as a whole, this forum is more down on Blackwood (and Zacha, but that's an argument for a different day. Mfitz come at me bro) than most. 

Bringing in Talbot could be a signal that the Devils think Blackwood is still a year away. And like I said; 70 games in the AHL will do a lot more for him than 30 in the NHL. 

1 minute ago, moustic said:

Draaaaaaamaaaa queeeeeeen

Careful mous. He'll add you to ignore and then reply to everything you ever post anyway.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

For the Devils to trade Blackwood, he would have to be part of a package for a realllllyy good player. Blackwood's value is most likely not at it's peak given exactly what you just said - he's not too far removed from the ECHL and has only played stellar for a quarter of one season. Most importantly, there's a chance he's a top goalie in the league next year for >700K. That's a valuable contract.

If there was someone who might be max value right now, it would be Schneider who carries a cap hit of 6M for the next three seasons and turned around his play in the last part of this past season after 2.5 years of subpar play. If Cory comes in and is bad again next year, we will have little use for him and still be stuck with his contract. Of course, he could come in and be good and then his contract is fine.

So you are saying I don’t have to start stripping jerseys...that’s a relief. 

Regarding your Cory point, we’d also be in a position to retain a little of that $6m which probably increases his value even more. 

Edited by mfitz804

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Yeah. I think as a whole, this forum is more down on Blackwood (and Zacha, but that's an argument for a different day. Mfitz come at me bro) than most. 

Bringing in Talbot could be a signal that the Devils think Blackwood is still a year away. And like I said; 70 games in the AHL will do a lot more for him than 30 in the NHL. 

I’ve never been down on Zacha, that’s you and Taylor’s thing. 

;) 

Edited by mfitz804

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Blackwood is going to play in the NHL next year. The Devils don't think he's a year away or they wouldn't have traded Kinkaid for a bag of pucks. Blackwood demonstrated last year that he's perfectly ready for NHL action. I don't think Talbot, if signed, would be brought in to play over a goalie that had a save percentage 30 points higher than him last year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Careful mous. He'll add you to ignore and then reply to everything you ever post anyway.

Whatever... I can't read you, you are the all-time leader of my ignore list. 

But first, I will need to know how to put someone on this ignore list...

• Haha 2

Just now, Neb00rs said:

Blackwood is going to play in the NHL next year. The Devils don't think he's a year away or they wouldn't have traded Kinkaid for a bag of pucks. Blackwood demonstrated last year that he's perfectly ready for NHL action. I don't think Talbot, if signed, would be brought in to play over a goalie that had a save percentage 30 points higher than him last year. 

I can't see any interest in Talbot that doesn't directly impact how they see Blackwood. Schneider isn't getting traded; there aren't any competitive teams that need a goalie (or that would take him for 3 years, even if we retained salary). So interest in Talbot makes me think they don't like Blackwood for next year as much as you're indicating. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

This is probably true. I think I overlooked how old Talbot is at this point also and how his stats have declined. The older you get, the more the years start to blend together. 

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I can't see any interest in Talbot that doesn't directly impact how they see Blackwood. Schneider isn't getting traded; there aren't any competitive teams that need a goalie (or that would take him for 3 years, even if we retained salary). So interest in Talbot makes me think they don't like Blackwood for next year as much as you're indicating. 

Fvck you man, I bought a fvck ton of Balckwood jerseys, he has to be awesome!! ;) 

Edited by mfitz804

Just now, MB3 said:

Well, he hasn't signed with the Devils yet, let's remember that. But, I think this speaks more to the Devils not being sure about Cormier/Senn than it does about Blackwood. We carried five goalies last year.

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Maybe they're figuratively kicking the tires on him as possible insurance just in case?

Well, he hasn't signed with the Devils yet, let's remember that. But, I think this speaks more to the Devils not being sure about Cormier/Senn than it does about Blackwood. We carried five goalies last year.

Talbot isn't signing a 2-way contract; so unless Schneider is moved I don't think this says anything about Cormier, Johnson or Senn. 

Just now, MB3 said:

Talbot isn't signing a 2-way contract; so unless Schneider is moved I don't think this says anything about Cormier, Johnson or Senn. 

Johnson is going to be a free agent, he was non-tendered. 

Not at all surprised the Devils are exploring the goalie market.

Cory looked okay towards the end of the season.. but he looked washed in the world championships imo.

Another year where Cory wins 2 games for every 8 played will sink us fast.  Not sure Blackwood's ready for 60+ games either.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I'm not sure about that but still, the bolded is why I stress: until July 1st, this is still just something David Pagnotta said. But there's no reason to believe that Talbot would come in to play over Cory or BWood, none - unless one is moved. We don't have other goalies than the ones mentioned, so if Cory or Black gets injured Senn or Cormier would have to play and one of them has 15 games of AHL experience and the other has never played in North America. We need a third NHL option.

Edited by Neb00rs

Just now, Neb00rs said:

I'm not sure about that but still, the bolded is why I stress: until July 1st, this is still just something David Pagnotta said. But there's no reason to believe that Talbot would come in to play over Cory or BWood, none - unless one is moved. We don't have other goalies than the ones mentioned, so if Cory or Black gets injured Senn or Cormier would have to play and one of them has 15 games of AHL experience and the other has never played in North America. We need a third NHL goalie.

Talbot has also been sub-.900 save percentage for three seasons now. I am not sure that commands a 1 way contract. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Talbot has also been sub-.900 save percentage for three seasons now. I am not sure that commands a 1 way contract. 

Yeah, he's been bad. But, I don't really know what the market is for him yet or how NHL teams see him - so hard to say. I can't imagine he has many potential buyers across the league though.

Edited by Neb00rs

Is he done?

Yup, which also carries cap recapture for both the Canucks and Panthers. $3M against the cap for the next years for Vancouver, $1M for Florida.

For those who don't know the Strombone1 account has long been [unofficially] known as Luongo's account. If he's retiring he finishes five losses behind Marty for most losses all time.

For those who don't know the Strombone1 account has long been [unofficially] known as Luongo's account. If he's retiring he finishes five losses behind Marty for most losses all time.

Seems like a good time to call it a day. 

Also foreshadows a Bobrovsky signing in Florida. 

Posted (edited)

Florida saves 3.5M in cap.

Edited by Neb00rs

7 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

At first I didn't know who you were talking about, but then when I saw Common mention FLA and VAN, I put it together.  Too bad he didn't stick around for a few more losses, but at the same time I'm glad he kept his distance in the W column too.

yeah i'd feel a bit more confident having talbot. If Cory and Blackwood does well and that we have talbot... well then we have a good problem. But if we don't have him and schneider/Black wood doesnt play well... then we're fvcked