Jump to content
CommonDreads

2019-20 Around the League Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It sucks that we started off so bad and played some shaky hockey in and around the holidays, because this team has given us just about everything we could have asked for in the last 2-3 weeks, maybe the last month or so.  Had we played even medicore hockey at a near-.500 level, we'd probably be in the thick of the playoff hunt, instead of barely becoming part of the race again as the season's winding down.  

Even though we're probably going to be watching the playoffs this year, it's nice to see the guys compete down the stretch, and it leaves hope for next season.  I must say, even though there's going to be a bunch of solid head coaching candidates available this off-season, guys with lots of experience and some with a pedigree of winning, I wouldn't exactly hate if Nassreddine was given the job.  I'm coming around on him with the way he's gotten the team playing lately - it's rather impressive, considering a few key pieces, including some veterans, were shipped out, and he's managing a VERY young team.  If this team continues to play well in the last dozen or so games of the season, he at least deserves consideration for the job, something I wasn't able to say a month ago. 

Regarding the goalie situation, I'm still not convinced that Schneider should be part of this team next year, the wounds are just so deep that even some good play of late isn't quite enough to heal them, but I'm at the point where I no longer think it's terrible for him to get some of the workload and keep Blackwood rested, yet sharp.  I can see the two helping each other night in and night out - it's evident, especially after a win, when the guy who didn't play goes up to the winning goalie on the ice with a big smile - they seem happy for each other, and I think the light competition is good for both.  I hope Cory gets the game against the Penguins tomorrow, Blackwood gets the Canes which would be nice to win in regulation, then give Schneider the Panthers on Sat, and since I've never seen Blackwood play live, give him the Tampa game which I will be at.  But, however they decide to divvy it up I'm OK with. 

EDIT:  Wasn't done, didn't mean to hit submit.

In these last 14 games, the schedule has been tough, and I've been impressed that we're coming away with points in many of them, especially on a road trip, and against some really good teams (Caps, Blues, Rags, etc).  If there was ever a reason to win from confidence alone, it would be tomorrow, playing at home after some huge wins.  Two days rest, the team should be ready to go, and full of momentum.  Here's hoping they keep it up.  It probably won't get us into the playoffs, but it's made this end of the season fun anyway.

 

I've mentioned it a number of times, but the Devils have managed a solid record since 12/14...19-11-7 since that day.  That's an 100-point pace over a full season.  As has been pointed out, goaltending has been the primary driver of the turnaround, but there's also been some offense-by-committee (team is averaging 3.03 GF for this stretch).  And of the 11 regulation losses, 5 of them came when Domingue was in net (though gotta be fair and point out that he played quite well in those big wins over Tampa and Washington).  The team has played hard for Nas, and do seem less prone to panicking and coming unglued...still not sold on him as being the right guy to name as the permanent HC.  

Of course, can't throw out the 9-17-5 record over the 31 games that preceded this run.  And not getting it done enough in OT and SO scenarios.  

There's obviously some warm bodies here (Claussen-types) that won't figure into next season...and of course, it remains to be seen if the Devils are buying into the latest tease from Cory.  One thing that has somehow become even clearer than it already was is that Cory's teammates absolutely LOVE the guy, in spite of how much his play has hurt the Devils the past few years.  

Of course, there will be new faces in here next season...and however this team is constructed, they can't start off like complete ass yet again in 2020-21.  Guys like Bratt need to add to what they're doing to close out this season.  It's not so hard to win with no pressure and with not a whole lot at stake.  I need to see winning extend beyond garbage time.  

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:
This is pretty incredible but the Devil's have actually played their way back onto this chart. We haven't been on it for Months!!! And somehow we have actually got ourselves back in with a 0.1% chance of making the playoffs. 

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

That is pretty damned funny.  Basically as long as they keep winning EVERY single one of their games, they should stay on it.  As soon as they suffer another regulation loss...off they come.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sharks haven't commented on this yet but I'd imagine these games would just be played with no fans not just outright canceled. Hope the Devils do this for their final 8 home games simply so I can get my money back for them lol

 

Edited by Satans Hockey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish we weren't a low attendance team so i could make a joke about that SJ situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the statement it sounds to me like the games are not being cancelled. Either they’ll play to an empty arena, or otherwise wait and try to reschedule them somehow. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

From the statement it sounds to me like the games are not being cancelled. Either they’ll play to an empty arena, or otherwise wait and try to reschedule them somehow. 

I wonder if we will be next or other teams and leagues do as well. I'm far from a person who worries easily and I remember the media coverage about Sars, swine flu etc etc but I really don't remember people freaking out this much before. I also don't remember so many things getting canceled for those either. There's been several big concerts and music festivals canceled completely already and that's never happened before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I wonder if we will be next or other teams and leagues do as well. I'm far from a person who worries easily and I remember the media coverage about Sars, swine flu etc etc but I really don't remember people freaking out this much before. I also don't remember so many things getting canceled for those either. There's been several big concerts and music festivals canceled completely already and that's never happened before. 

They also postponed the new Bond movie until September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

I wonder if we will be next or other teams and leagues do as well. I'm far from a person who worries easily and I remember the media coverage about Sars, swine flu etc etc but I really don't remember people freaking out this much before. I also don't remember so many things getting canceled for those either. There's been several big concerts and music festivals canceled completely already and that's never happened before. 

Here in France this is pure madness but i kind of get it why. Yes, that deadly affect mostly old people or people with severe condition... But it's really deadly for them !!  It's on us to block the contagion. Sport events & co can wait. 
That being said the total meltdown of people rushing to get good & toilet papers ... this is stupid and irresponsable. But this is not a tiny little flu. (and we don't have a vaccine yet) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

They also postponed the new Bond movie until September.

I saw that but from their statement it was 100% about the fact they wouldn't make as much money on international sales if they released in April vs November. A November release feels right anyway since that's when a lot of them were normally released anyway but at least they were honest about it being about money lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, moustic said:

Here in France this is pure madness but i kind of get it why. Yes, that deadly affect mostly old people or people with severe condition... But it's really deadly for them !!  It's on us to block the contagion. Sport events & co can wait. 
That being said the total meltdown of people rushing to get good & toilet papers ... this is stupid and irresponsable. But this is not a tiny little flu. (and we don't have a vaccine yet) 

It's a weird mix here of people wanting everything shut down and then others who think this is just like the regular flu. I'm not sure what to make of it yet but I won't be upset if they start canceling things around here (also helps the Devils aren't in the playoffs so it definitely hurts less with that aspect lol) 

There's definitely less people taking public transportation and I have several friends who were told they can work from home for now until we see how this plays out. 

It's just weird to me though that if this is as serious as they are making it out to be that the mayor of NYC would keep saying the st. Patrick's day parade for next Tuesday isn't canceled yet and no arenas or Broadway theatres here are closed yet. I won't proclaim to know what's best but I fail to see how 2 million people showing up for a parade next Tuesday all standing next to each other in tight quarters makes any sense. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I saw that but from their statement it was 100% about the fact they wouldn't make as much money on international sales if they released in April vs November. A November release feels right anyway since that's when a lot of them were normally released anyway but at least they were honest about it being about money lol

Ah sh!t...November? I thought I saw September. I need my Ana de Armas fix. :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

becasue c-virus i willn`t going to knight reconstruction big event that happenin once in the year here.

 

anyway if i was a big producer i`ll spent money for cameras and crew and make online big movie with flying cameras and cameras on helmets in the days when there are no audience on stadium. translate in online, cameras didnt hurt visibility and willnt hurt the process.  If you have specific circumstances - benefit from it. But betman isn`t smart enough to make something new that didnt happened in other american big sports leagues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's a weird mix here of people wanting everything shut down and then others who think this is just like the regular flu. I'm not sure what to make of it yet but I won't be upset if they start canceling things around here (also helps the Devils aren't in the playoffs so it definitely hurts less with that aspect lol) 

There's definitely less people taking public transportation and I have several friends who were told they can work from home for now until we see how this plays out. 

It's just weird to me though that if this is as serious as they are making it out to be that the mayor of NYC would keep saying the st. Patrick's day parade for next Tuesday isn't canceled yet and no arenas or Broadway theatres here are closed yet. I won't proclaim to know what's best but I fail to see how 2 million people showing up for a parade next Tuesday all standing next to each other in tight quarters makes any sense. 

Here all even with more than 1000 people are cancelled until further information... (this is a good way for the governement to try to shut down the massive strikes that take place in France these days ; ) )
But for example, the big champion ship match of Paris in Football (yeah.. that's the name of this sport ; ) ) will be without people in the stadium. This is a critical game for Paris but they have shut it down (that will be a really weird game to follow on tv) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

schools getting closed as well. scarsdale closed schools for the rest of the month!

most towns around me are closing at least one day this week to prepare for eventual longer closing.

while i think most healthy people will have little to no issue with this, I can appreciate the desire to overcompensate and contain it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Ah sh!t...November? I thought I saw September. I need my Ana de Armas fix. :wub:

oh man isn't she a pure goddess 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Played against men” with 2 goals tonight...ugh. 

I so hope they miss the playoffs by 2 points, and that stomping the Devils gave them is the difference. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NBA game will be played with no fans. I just don't see this helping anything in the long run. A lot of people are still going to get it because of how easily it is transmitted in the air. I just takes 1 person who has it with no symptoms going to a restaurant or mall or whatever. Either way, the virus isn't going anywhere anytime soon large gatherings or not.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

NBA game will be played with no fans. I just don't see this helping anything in the long run. A lot of people are still going to get it because of how easily it is transmitted in the air. I just takes 1 person who has it with no symptoms going to a restaurant or mall or whatever. Either way, the virus isn't going anywhere anytime soon large gatherings or not.  

 

It certainly will help it not spread as fast and overload the hospitals with people if they get sick from it. Most people will end up staying at home as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i like the approach that the Devils took for games... basically... we're not going to cancel anything but please use your common sense that if you know you're at risk of having it after travelling or wtv... stay home. And if you're scared of catching it, stay home too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well now the NCAA tournament isn't allowing fans into the building for any game so it's pretty inevitable this will impact the NHL playoffs and rest of the regular season one way or another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

gone christmas GIF

I mean... we’re still at 14 points for a tragic number.... 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i like the approach that the Devils took for games... basically... we're not going to cancel anything but please use your common sense that if you know you're at risk of having it after travelling or wtv... stay home. And if you're scared of catching it, stay home too. 

The problem here is that you cannot trust the average person to use their best judgement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.