Schneider to be bought out

MadDog2020

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Literally anyone is likely going to be better than Cory. Certainly more dependable to stay healthy. 

Markstrom could be an option. Or Khudobin. 

Markstrom is rumored to have a few teams interested in him so that'll drive his price up. I'm pretty sure Khudobin will stay where he is. Can't see either of them wanting to be the backup though.

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I can think of a handful of goalies on the market with more consistency, cheaper in price than $6m and aren't mental liabilities on the ice.

I saw Todd Cordell posted an article yesterday on his pay-to-read site echoing the bolded statement, but you don't buy a guy out, then trade for a $4.6m defender. Schnieder, in his current state, has been a liability. Sure he had glimmers of hope that his game was coming back together and he would turn the corner, but taking away his absolute Hollywood-esq heater, the last few years have been a wild card leaning on the detrimental to the team. You cant expect the team in front of you to play loose hockey when they're worried if the routine dump in is going to find its way to the back of the net or a lob on goal squeaks trough.

Cory did wonders for this team, and could very well have hurt us by playing so well, but he gave us hope for a while when we probably shouldn't have had any. But that time had passed him by and he is no longer the guy who dominated the crease to earn that $6m that is now off the books.

I love the guy but Schneider definitely isn’t good anymore. But if his replacement is someone like Jimmy Howard then what’s the point? Let’s see who is brought in.

Just now, Aitchmack said:

Markstrom is rumored to have a few teams interested in him so that'll drive his price up. I'm pretty sure Khudobin will stay where he is. Can't see either of them wanting to be the backup though.

So many teams have guys splitting starts these days. Nobody plays a Marty-like workload anymore. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

So many teams have guys splitting starts these days. Nobody plays a Marty-like workload anymore. 

If we can get a proper #2, I can’t imagine Blackwood is going to play more than 55ish games this upcoming season. I don’t think they’re looking to overwork him.

I’d love to see them go out and get Markstrom, but I suspect he will be looking for a true #1 spot and can probably find that. 

I am just very anxious to see Lundqvist get signed by the Capitals to get that nightmare scenario out of my head. How the fvck would I be able to root for that guy after all of these years of hate??

Fortunately, I think he’ll be Cup chasing rather than just looking to stay close to NY. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, devlman said:

I love the guy but Schneider definitely isn’t good anymore. But if his replacement is someone like Jimmy Howard then what’s the point? Let’s see who is brought in.

If they sign Jimmy Howard, I'll lose my mind. He needs to rebound somewhere else before I trust a guy with only 1 win.

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Vasi is the only guy who seems to be capable of it. I think PDB thinking Lehner could is what cost Vegas, well that and not scoring above 5%.

Definitely would love a guy with capacity to handle 30-35 games, if not more just in case.

"Hello, MAF, Tom Fitzgerald again. Well we have a better defense already and it only took a 5th round pick to get it. How's Jersey sounding now? You'll be a lot closer to Quebec..."

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If we can get a proper #2, I can’t imagine Blackwood is going to play more than 55ish games this upcoming season. I don’t think they’re looking to overwork him.

I’d love to see them go out and get Markstrom, but I suspect he will be looking for a true #1 spot and can probably find that. 

I am just very anxious to see Lundqvist get signed by the Capitals to get that nightmare scenario out of my head. How the fvck would I be able to root for that guy after all of these years of hate??

Fortunately, I think he’ll be Cup chasing rather than just looking to stay close to NY. 

I really don't think Lundqvist is even remotely a scenario that would happen. I don't think the Devils want another guy on the decline after they just dropped Cory, and I don't think Lundqvist would come to Jersey even if they had the best offer. He seems like a loyal enough guy to the Rags

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I really don't think Lundqvist is even remotely a scenario that would happen. I don't think the Devils want another guy on the decline after they just dropped Cory, and I don't think Lundqvist would come to Jersey even if they had the best offer. He seems like a loyal enough guy to the Rags

Agreed. Let's make sure lol. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

Oh I'll definitely breathe easier when he officially signs somewhere else haha

Would be pretty awkward over at Hobby's Deli when he finds out there's already a special named for him...you know, if going to places is ever a thing people do again. 

• Haha 2

Just now, MrBreeze said:

Looks like he's going to be insurance...Varlamov ($5 million) and Sorokin (rookie, $2 million, from the KHL) look like they'll be the #1 and #2 going into 2020-21.  Not sure if Cory gets a shot to compete with Sorokin for the 1A/backup role.  

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

No matter who's the starter and backup. We can obviously pencil in Cory to play against us and get a shutout.

And let's not act like that's a crazy statement either lol we know it's happening.

It's 1,000% happening.  If there's a place to bet and get odds on that, we should all do it.  Insider knowledge with us being Devils fans lol

49 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It's 1,000% happening.  If there's a place to bet and get odds on that, we should all do it.  Insider knowledge with us being Devils fans lol

We should honestly find somewhere we can all bet on that... all bet and reap the reward and donate to NJDEVS... it would likely finance the site for years

• Like 1

Having had a few days to digest this, as long as Cory was signed as the clear #3 (to start) who begins his season in the AHL and is treated as the guy who will have to work his way into getting a shot, it's not a horrible signing...not that I'd necessarily give him that shot, but as far as #3s go, this is what they tend to be:  former upper-echelon types who have clearly fallen on hard times and need to try to restart their careers, or occasionally pretty good NHLers who are only capable of filling in, in occasional short-term bursts...there's a reason why they're available to be a AHL/NHL go-between.  You get the Eddie Lack/Louis Domingue types.  Cory (for the foreseeable future) is in that same category.  I'm guessing Sorokin will given a lot of time to show what he can do...but it's going to take him playing awful for the first quarter of the season and Cory shredding it in the AHL for Cory to have a real chance.