NHL Entry Draft Thread - 2021

nessus

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Doesn’t look like Vancouver is getting it done tonight. 

I can't imagine they don't pick up a single point in three games against the Flames unless" they go TOTAL tank mode.

Turns out losing that last game is going to save us a lot of worrying.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I do not believe that we should draft a guy just because he’s Jack’s brother. I’m also not into letting a 19 year old decide that. 

BUT, I draw the following from the comment: Jack doesn’t hate it here. If he did, he wouldn’t want his brother to come here. 

I’m not saying draft him ahead of all others, but if it’s a toss up whether he’s the BPA, we do need defense and I wouldn’t mind Jack being happy.

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I do not believe that we should draft a guy just because he’s Jack’s brother. I’m also not into letting a 19 year old decide that. 

BUT, I draw the following from the comment: Jack doesn’t hate it here. If he did, he wouldn’t want his brother to come here. 

I’m not saying draft him ahead of all others, but if it’s a toss up whether he’s the BPA, we do need defense and I wouldn’t mind Jack being happy.

Well no shiz that you don't let something like that be a deciding factor, but the consensus seems to be that the top picks in this draft are likely a toss ups. Even the number 1 and 2 aren't locks this year. 

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Well no shiz that you don't let something like that be a deciding factor, but the consensus seems to be that the top picks in this draft are likely a toss ups. Even the number 1 and 2 aren't locks this year. 

Right, so even if this guy was not named Hughes, would he be a guy we would pick assuming we are 5th overall, given that we should probably be drafting a (hopefully future) stud defenseman?

As I have said, I don’t follow draft prospects closely enough to know if he is or isn’t. 

If so, the fact that he is a Hughes should make that a lock if he is available. 

Owen Power is #1 on my board, but Luke is right behind him at #2 and the team at FC has put Luke at #1 in our past two rankings, if we end up holding the 1st Overall pick I'd want them to take Luke because of the Jack factor on top of him and Power being so close. There definitely isn't a large chasm between Luke and other players, but I will say that Luke is one of the youngest players in this draft, he's nearly a full year younger than Owen Power. If Luke was born a week later, he would have been in the 2022 Draft instead.

• Like 2

Just now, CommonDreads said:

Owen Power is #1 on my board, but Luke is right behind him at #2 and the team at FC has put Luke at #1 in our past two rankings, if we end up holding the 1st Overall pick I'd want them to take Luke because of the Jack factor on top of him and Power being so close. There definitely isn't a large chasm between Luke and other players, but I will say that Luke is one of the youngest players in this draft, he's nearly a full year younger than Owen Power. If Luke was born a week later, he would have been in the 2022 Draft instead.

So if we pick 5th, odds are Luke will be long gone by the time we get to pick someone?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

So if we pick 5th, odds are Luke will be long gone by the time we get to pick someone?

I'd wager Luke is gone before 5th, but won't say it's impossible he's there. Simon Edvinsson is a big wild card that it seems like NHL scouts are very high, he was 2nd on Bob McKenzie's last poll, he's someone I could see getting taken ahead of Hughes. Throw in some guys like Clarke, Matty Beniers, Eklund, Guenther, and there are scenarios where Luke could be there at 5th Overall.

This draft is just very hard to predict, I don't want to say anything definitive because it could all just go to sh!t on draft night, but obviously I'd love to win one of the two lotto spots so we can get a more guaranteed crack at Luke. Owen Power is the only player I feel like I can say with confidence is going to in the Top 3, after that the draft really opens up, there's so little consensus this year.

Edited by CommonDreads

Just now, CommonDreads said:

I'd wager Luke is gone before 5th, but won't say it's impossible he's there. Simon Edvinsson is a big wild card that it seems like NHL scouts are very high, he was 2nd on Bob McKenzie's last poll, he's someone I could see getting taken ahead of Hughes. Throw in some guys like Clarke, Matty Beniers, Eklund, Guenther, and there are scenarios where Luke could be there at 5th Overall.

This draft is just very hard to predict, I don't want to say anything definitive because it could all just go to sh!t on draft night, but obviously I'd love to win one of the two lotto spots so we can get a more guaranteed crack at Luke.

Sure. But if in fact he is THAT highly regarded, picking him at 5, if available, should be a no brainer no matter whose brother he is. That’s the info I was looking for. 

So we should just win the fvcking lottery again and control our own fate. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Sure. But if in fact he is THAT highly regarded, picking him at 5, if available, should be a no brainer no matter whose brother he is. That’s the info I was looking for. 

Yeah for sure, I think it's a no brainer for this team to take Luke if he's there at #4 or #5. On top of being Jack's brother, he just has a lot of attributes this team should be looking to add. He's not as dynamic or Jack or Quinn, but he's still a fantastic skater and can move the puck out his zone easily, and he's not a shrimp either, kid is already 6'2" at just 17.

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You don't give people here enough credit lol. This isn't Facebook, no one would be advocating using a top 10 pick on a guy just because he was a Hughes if he wasn't thought to be in that talent range. 

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

You don't give people here enough credit lol. This isn't Facebook, no one would be advocating using a top 10 pick on a guy just because he was a Hughes if he wasn't thought to be in that talent range. 

Ehh, I think that argument has been made. And it’s also a big difference taking him at 5 if he should be taken at 10 and passing over other guys based on his name. 

If he is so well regarded that he is either #1 or #2, different story. Also means without winning the lottery we probably won’t get him. 

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If the Devils decide that Luke is on the top of their list, do they ask Jack to be at the draft to announce the pick? 

Judging from the way he speaks in interviews, I wouldn’t pick that kid to stand at a podium lol. 

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Ehh, I think that argument has been made. And it’s also a big difference taking him at 5 if he should be taken at 10 and passing over other guys based on his name. 

If he is so well regarded that he is either #1 or #2, different story. Also means without winning the lottery we probably won’t get him. 

Judging from the way he speaks in interviews, I wouldn’t pick that kid to stand at a podium lol. 

Definitely don't think that NJ has to win the lottery to have any hope of getting him. Power, Clarke, Beniers, Eklund, Johnson, Edvinsson, Wallstedt, and Hughes are all in the conversation of top 5 picks. As long as we don't fall lower than 5 or 6 there is at least a chance. 

If Devils stay in top-5 they will draft top-3 D, great two way center Beniers or better part of duo Eklund-Holtz. Guenther, Johnson and Lysell are great options too. 
If Devils are 5 and Hughes is available - pick him no matter what did Jack says. If Devils have top-2 pick... there are a lot of questions.  

Edited by Guadana

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Definitely don't think that NJ has to win the lottery to have any hope of getting him. Power, Clarke, Beniers, Eklund, Johnson, Edvinsson, Wallstedt, and Hughes are all in the conversation of top 5 picks. As long as we don't fall lower than 5 or 6 there is at least a chance. 

Should be an interesting draft, then. 

6 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If the Devils decide that Luke is on the top of their list, do they ask Jack to be at the draft to announce the pick? 

Jack Hughes: "The New Jersey Devils are happy to select... from the USHL. LUKE HUGHES! LET'S GO BABY!!!!" 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Also. Say we draft Luke.

Then Vancouver kind of see the writing on the wall and call us offering Q. for Smith + something. You guys do it?

Yeah I would do it, but Vancouver isn’t making that call for a long time. Quinn is 20 years old lol. He won’t be a UFA for years.