NHL Entry Draft Thread - 2021

nessus

23 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

So you’re saying that you posted that, then conducted a poll of some jersey collectors to get confirmation of that?

Having collected a long time, I see no reason why it would bother anyone. If anything, it adds another dimension and differentiates it from other, pre-initial jerseys and that might make it even more desirable. 

No i'm saying i posted that. Then it made me wonder and I reached out to my friends that i know are collectors out of curiosity and some didn't mind and some did.

So the fact that my assumption was that it MAY annoy some collectors was confirmed by some collectors saying it annoyed them. Making DevsMan84 blanket statement based on his personal opinion not as factual as he may think.

Some are fine with it, some are annoyed by it. Thats it. I personally can see both angles. For example having a HUGHES 86 jersey post J. Hughes would be vrm specific to a specific era making it more unique

Edited by SterioDesign

22 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

No i'm saying i posted that. Then it made me wonder and I reached out to my friends that i know are collectors out of curiosity and some didn't mind and some did.

So the fact that my assumption was that it MAY annoy some collectors was confirmed by some collectors saying it annoyed them. Making DevsMan84 blanket statement based on his personal opinion not as factual as he may think.

Some are fine with it, some are annoyed by it. Thats it. I personally can see both angles. For example having a HUGHES 86 jersey post J. Hughes would be vrm specific to a specific era making it more unique

My statement applies to actual jersey collectors; not guys who have about a dozen $60 replicas/knockoffs in their closet with factory customization.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Which is the point I was making. I can’t see anyone being upset by it, your two basic types of collectors are game worn, who want the shirt off his back however it is, and guys who collect authentics and replicas, who want them done up like the on ice jerseys. 

What did your focus group say would be annoying about it?

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

My statement applies to actual jersey collectors; not guys who have about a dozen $60 replicas/knockoffs in their closet with factory customization.

You're using way too many words to basically say "the only opinion I will accept is the one that agree with me".

Blindly making assumptions on people who don't agree with it. I mean, that much is obvious lol

I personally don't even disagree with your angle, i said i do see why it's actually cool to have these different jerseys. BUT i can see how other people could have a different opinion. But i guess when you're as self-absorbed as you are you can't really see past that.

Edited by SterioDesign

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m mean honestly, does anyone even look at the names? If you call a penalty, it’s Devils #37, they don’t call him by name. 

You may have heard this story, but back in the 70s (forget which year exactly), the NHL mandated that jerseys must have names on the back (might have been just home jerseys at first, not sure).  Anyway, former Leafs owner and complete nutjob Harold Ballard was worried that less fans would buy programs if they could just read the names off jerseys, so he had the names sewn on in white for the white home uniforms, and in blue for the blue uniforms (yes, he actually ordered this be done)...technically, he considered that "complying" with the league.  Of course the NHL wasn't amused, the Leafs were fined, and then the names were sewn on the way they were supposed to be.  Admittedly, one of those would be a cool GW to own, just because.  

Actually found more info, with photos...pretty ballsy:  Blog - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database (nhluniforms.com)

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

You're using way too many words to basically say "the only opinion I will accept is the one that agree with me".

Blindly making assumptions on people who don't agree with it. I mean, that much is obvious lol

I personally don't even disagree with your angle, i said i do see why it's actually cool to have these different jerseys. BUT i can see how other people could have a different opinion. But i guess when you're as self-absorbed as you are you can't really see past that.

You're right, I have zero clue as to what I am talking about in regards to hockey jerseys, collecting hockey jerseys, and the hobby of collecting jerseys.  I am just self-absorbed and making assumptions on this entire subject.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You may have heard this story, but back in the 70s (forget which year exactly), the NHL mandated that jerseys must have names on the back (might have been just home jerseys at first, not sure).  Anyway, former Leafs owner and complete nutjob Harold Ballard was worried that less fans would buy programs if they could just read the names off jerseys, so he had the names sewn on in white for the white home uniforms, and in blue for the blue uniforms (yes, he actually ordered this be done)...technically, he considered that "complying" with the league.  Of course the NHL wasn't amused, the Leafs were fined, and then the names were sewn on the way they were supposed to be.  Admittedly, one of those would be a cool GW to own, just because.  

Actually found more info, with photos...pretty ballsy:  Blog - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database (nhluniforms.com)

By the very late 80's, the NHL also mandated that cutomizers logos cannot be printed/shown on the jerseys.  Therefore customizers who used to put their logos on the jerseys such as Gunzo's (Chicago) and Custom Crafted (Devils was one of their teams) had to remove it.  However, Custom Crafted/Devils decided to be sneaky and they would put their logo on the white colored hem in white print.  Below is an example:

https://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/1989_90_Jon_Morris_Peter_Sundstrom_New_Jersey_Devils_Game_Worn_Jersey-5277-128.html

But then again, I am clueless about collecting jerseys and the above is based on my own self-absorbed assumptions.

On 5/20/2021 at 5:02 PM, DevsMan84 said:

You're right, I have zero clue as to what I am talking about in regards to hockey jerseys, collecting hockey jerseys, and the hobby of collecting jerseys.  I am just self-absorbed and making assumptions on this entire subject.

Not what i said at all you salty tears muffin. 

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand. You have a particular opinion about something and that's fine. But you don't seem to realize or accept that other people can have a different opinion. You either denied that other people had that other opinion and when i brought up that i knew people with that opinion, you blindly discarded their "collector status" like as if someone could be a collector like you and disagree. That's just a toxic and sh!tty behaviour, not sure how you're not seeing it. Truly pathetic, the world doesnt revolve around you princess and collectors doesn't have like a hive mind all sharing the same exact vision and opinion. I personally collect some stuff and i have a very very different mindset when it comes to those items than other people collecting the same thing, that's just common sense.

So yeah, you are self-absorbed. 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

so, bit of an attack on L. Hughes here. Former Devils employee, not sure if she just has an axe to grind or what. 

Interesting to hear of character issues considering I haven't heard too much of that about him or the other Hughes brothers. I'm pretty comfortable that we will get a good defenseman whether it's Luke or not. 

It could just be a Vancouver media case of "well we didn't want him anyway now that he's out of reach" and if they win the first or second overall pick they pivot. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Sounds like sour grapes to me. By all accounts Jack and Quinn seem like great kids, and I doubt Luke is any different. 

Well, on one side we have his brothers... who will obviously not throw him under the bus. They also said he was the best Hughes brother... which appears very unlikely to me based on everything i heard.

Or someone who said they did quite a bit of research and seem to be connected with people who know and worked with him

It's hard to just trust random sources, but the fact that it's brought up is worrisome. And if we just blindly discard that opinion just we don't want to believe it well... that's exactly that lol denial and just want believing what we want to believe right

So yeah, we'll see

Edited by SterioDesign

Sounds like sour grapes to me. By all accounts Jack and Quinn seem like great kids, and I doubt Luke is any different. 

Personally I don’t know anything about any of them outside of them being good at hockey. 

Well, Jack was caught on camera, in public asking a girl to show him her boobs. Now i don't mind personally that but i'm sure a whole lot of people would be losing their mind if that video would have become viral. In this social climate i'm shocked it didn't actually lol

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well, Jack was caught on camera, in public asking a girl to show him her boobs. Now i don't mind personally that but i'm sure a whole lot of people would be losing their mind if that video would have become viral. In this social climate i'm shocked it didn't actually lol

Well he’s a hockey player so nobody paid attention lol. 

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

That’s not a character concern. It’s literally just being a teenage boy lol. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well, on one side we have his brothers... who will obviously not throw him under the bus. They also said he was the best Hughes brother... which appears very unlikely to me based on everything i heard.

Or someone who said they did quite a bit of research and seem to be connected with people who know and worked with him

It's hard to just trust random sources, but the fact that it's brought up is worrisome. And if we just blindly discard that opinion just we don't want to believe it well... that's exactly that lol denial and just want believing what we want to believe right

So yeah, we'll see

Its worrisome if you trust the source. Its just odd that no one mentioned his character issues until Vancouver fell to 9th and someone brought it up on a Canucks podcast. Before that, all we'd heard is that Vancouver was hoping for Luke. 

I'd like to see if anyone else mentions these issues first. If we start seeing a few people echoing this then it might be something to worry about. 

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

That’s not a character concern. It’s literally just being a teenage boy lol. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t know, teenage boy, wanting to see boobs, I don’t buy it. 

Well again lol i know and personally don't care. But we see people getting cancelled for way way less these days haha

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Its worrisome if you trust the source. Its just odd that no one mentioned his character issues until Vancouver fell to 9th and someone brought it up on a Canucks podcast. Before that, all we'd heard is that Vancouver was hoping for Luke. 

I only ever heard that here, is that what people were saying?

Overall i'll be happy if we get him assuming the scouts thought he was the best fit and happy for Jack.

But i've been reading a lot of scouts talking about his defensive game and it's not always too pretty and basically doing all the things we've been cursing our Dmen about for years now.

But at the same time and IMO you draft top players in the draft for their offensive ceiling and you can always get very strong defensive guy further down in the draft.

Here is the quote..

"I have done quite a bit of character recon and injury recon and I have not heard a single person with a good thing to say that isn't either related to him or has something to gain. So like, not great."

She doesn't actually say that there is a "character issue" or anything like that.  Just brings it up in a negative way.  In fact, you can infer that she has also not heard a single person with a bad thing to say.  I gotta go with Nicomo here and say sour grapes is on the menu in Vancouver.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Crisis said:

Here is the quote..

"I have done quite a bit of character recon and injury recon and I have not heard a single person with a good thing to say that isn't either related to him or has something to gain. So like, not great."

She doesn't actually say that there is a "character issue" or anything like that.  Just brings it up in a negative way.  In fact, you can infer that she has also not heard a single person with a bad thing to say.  I gotta go with Nicomo here and say sour grapes is on the menu in Vancouver.

That’s exactly how I read it. This is one of the main problems with “internet journalism”. It’s mostly baseless garbage that gets posted enough that people start to believe it’s true.