The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Is it really a trade if nothing goes back the other way?

Maybe I'm just salty about the Kovy thing, but I don't get how these trades aren't cap circumvention. They don't seem to be "in the spirit of the CBA"

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Is it really a trade if nothing goes back the other way?

Something did go back. Two posts above yours. 

9 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Maybe I'm just salty about the Kovy thing, but I don't get how these trades aren't cap circumvention. They don't seem to be "in the spirit of the CBA"

There is a player going back. 

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

On a side note, another reminder that Marty's all-time wins record will probably never be broken.  So much has to go right (and in some ways, wrong)...playing ALL of your career for a good team, starting 70+ games several times, and hanging on a little longer than you should have (Marty did rack up another 35 wins despite clearly being on the decline...Roy called it quits despite having something left in the tank physically).  MAF at least seemed like a solid bet to be the 3rd goalie ever to record 500 wins...now it looks like he may not even reach that (still third on the all-time list though).  Not to mention Marty played 222 more regular season games than the next guy (Roy, at 1044), and is one of just THREE goalies in the history to play in over 1000 games as a goalie.  Every now and then we'll see a goalie reach 400 or so wins while still reasonably young, which will get us talking...but don't be surprised if none of them make it to 500 wins, let alone 691.  

5 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Uhhh…. This sounds not pretty.

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Low class move by Vegas if true. How do you not communicate with a guy who was such a big part of the team?

Absolutely. That’s totally ridiculous if true.

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On a side note, another reminder that Marty's all-time wins record will probably never be broken.  So much has to go right (and in some ways, wrong)...playing ALL of your career for a good team, starting 70+ games several times, and hanging on a little longer than you should have (Marty did rack up another 35 wins despite clearly being on the decline...Roy called it quits despite having something left in the tank physically).  MAF at least seemed like a solid bet to be the 3rd goalie ever to record 500 wins...now it looks like he may not even reach that (still third on the all-time list though).  Not to mention Marty played 222 more regular season games than the next guy (Roy, at 1044), and is one of just THREE goalies in the history to play in over 1000 games as a goalie.  Every now and then we'll see a goalie reach 400 or so wins while still reasonably young, which will get us talking...but don't be surprised if none of them make it to 500 wins, let alone 691.  

What's even more impressive is that Marty, Roy and all those goalies played most of their careers in the tie game era. Marty has 154 ties in his career. So say we're generous and assume he would have won only half of those games in OT or shootouts... that's an extra 77 wins right there.

All the young goalies from 2006 and up have that advantage and they are not even catching up to him

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

What's even more impressive is that Marty, Roy and all those goalies played most of their careers in the tie game era. Marty has 154 ties in his career. So say we're generous and assume he would have won only half of those games in OT or shootouts... that's an extra 77 wins right there.

All the young goalies from 2006 and up have that advantage and they are not even catching up to him

Devils...winning shootouts...

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Devils...winning shootouts...

Once upon a time they did...through 2012, they were the best at them.  Seriously (and hard as hell to believe now).  

33 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Uhhh…. This sounds not pretty.

Absolutely. That’s totally ridiculous if true.

I agree it's not a good move by Vegas, at the same time Walsh can't really bitch about it, if he wanted long term security for his client he should have negotiated in some NMC/NTC. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Marty was great in them. You really saw how well he studied other teams' shooters. 

His play in them declined at the end, but yeah, initially he was excellent in them.  And in 2012 the Devils were beastly...you basically had Kovy converting at over 70% of his attempts and Parise over 50%...in a way it was a surprise that they were "only" 12-4 that year in shootouts, they were so dominant.  Elias was quite good in them too that year, as the third shooter.  This is going back a LONG way (I started a thread on it), but through 2012 the Devils had the best numbers overall since shootouts were implemented (and did so rather quietly)...obviously it went incredibly downhill after.

10 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I agree it's not a good move by Vegas, at the same time Walsh can't really bitch about it, if he wanted long term security for his client he should have negotiated in some NMC/NTC. 

I don't blame them for trading him if they think it's right for the team. I just find it so odd that they haven't communicated with him at all about it. Even on a GM to player basis. 

• Like 1