The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

28 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Outside of Kevin Hayes, how many other of these college holdouts actually do well past their first NHL season?

I don’t know the answer, but my favorite is still Vesey holding out on Buffalo, signing with the Rangers, and then getting traded to Buffalo. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

This is the kind of tree that people were criticizing yesterday. Now that we got rid of Butcher by doing it, everyone OK?

fvck trees , oxygen producing , CO2 absorbing morons, just stood their waiting to be hugged. Bunch of wooden arseholes. 

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

So we'd need some bottom 6 help OR some top 6 dropping Bratt to the 3rd line

Kuokkanen - Hughes - Sharangovich

Zacha - Hischier - Bratt

Wood -  ??? - Johnsson

Foote - McLeod - ???

Holtz - Mercer - Clarke

Graves - Hamilton

Smith - Severson

Siegenthaler - Subban

Bahl - Walsh

Blackwood

Bernier

That forward group upsets me a little mainly the ???? and Johnsson. 

Won’t surprise me if Fitz takes a step back before assessing how hard he wants to go after a forward.  He’s earned that…he’s had a hell of a day.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Won’t surprise me if Fitz takes a step back before assessing how hard he wants to go after a forward.  He’s earned that…he’s had a hell of a day.

True, he did sign Chase di Lion or whatever the fvck. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think at this point he might look into Saad or maybe someone else on the market. Then if nothing comes out of that i think he may start looking into trades like Tarasenko or god knows who.

Then i think he'll look at teams tight against the cap and might try to take on some salary from them and weaponize out cap space to get picks or wtv

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I don’t see a huge need for another forward unless it’s a *big* name or a bottom 6 banger. No more Johnsson “top-6 skills only and not deserving of top-6 minutes” skill forwards unless they’re going to be a legit plant on the top line (like a Tarasenko, Johnny Hockey, Timo Meier type). 

I’m also firmly of the belief that Dawson Mercer is ready, and he’s about to become everyone’s favorite player. I haven’t loved a Devils prospect like this.... ever. Not even Luke Hughes. 

Yeah i do think Mercer could make the team but i'd still prefer to sign someone for the RW that could challenge Johansson or if there's an injury that we don't have a very meh prospect coming up

9 minutes ago, MB3 said:

days of the meh prospects feel over my dude. Nolan Foote is ready to be a top-6 winger in the NHL. 5 years ago with the cupboard as bare as it was, Nolan Foote would be literally the only thing we would be talking about here. 

There’s a good chance Holtz is ready, too. They said Caufield was probably 2-3 years away and he burst onto the scene and is one of the most exciting players in the league. 

Mercer can play any wing slot and he can play center. He’s equally as valuable on the PP as the PK and when people talk about him, everyone says “future captain of an NHL franchise.” Ive said it before but he was the clear cut leader of his locker rooms despite being several years younger and several years newer than other kids; and it’s hard to overstate how incredible that is when you’re talking about TEENAGERS. I mean holy sh!t haha. 

I think by 2023 we think of Mercer as the second most important player on the team, behind Jack Hughes. And that’s coming from someone who adores Nico, Ty, Luke, and of course Dougie. He’s Mark Stone but more defensively responsible. Everything I read about the kid, everything I see when I watch him play, is just sensational. It is impossible to be more excited about a prospect than I am about Dawson Mercer, and I’m no prospect hugger (notoriously so) around here. 

Well i should have specified on the right side and yeah Mercer may slide on the right side but then our 3rd or 4th line center is unsure. Not even sure if i want mcleod on the 4th or 3rd... then our RW depth is like.. thompson, zetterlund, clarke, etc etc which is still unproven

And yeah i actually saw Mercer play live and he's amazing. Scored a big goal for canada that game too

Edited by SterioDesign

10 minutes ago, MB3 said:

days of the meh prospects feel over my dude. Nolan Foote is ready to be a top-6 winger in the NHL. 5 years ago with the cupboard as bare as it was, Nolan Foote would be literally the only thing we would be talking about here. 

There’s a good chance Holtz is ready, too. They said Caufield was probably 2-3 years away and he burst onto the scene and is one of the most exciting players in the league. 

Mercer can play any wing slot and he can play center. He’s equally as valuable on the PP as the PK and when people talk about him, everyone says “future captain of an NHL franchise.” Ive said it before but he was the clear cut leader of his locker rooms despite being several years younger and several years newer than other kids; and it’s hard to overstate how incredible that is when you’re talking about TEENAGERS. I mean holy sh!t haha. 

I think by 2023 we think of Mercer as the second most important player on the team, behind Jack Hughes. And that’s coming from someone who adores Nico, Ty, Luke, and of course Dougie. He’s Mark Stone but more defensively responsible. Everything I read about the kid, everything I see when I watch him play, is just sensational. It is impossible to be more excited about a prospect than I am about Dawson Mercer, and I’m no prospect hugger (notoriously so) around here. 

I was a fan of Mercer from the day we even didnt draft him yet. He was great in qjmhl full season and playoff games. He was one of the most "fun to watch" prospects all season. But I think he must try to play AHL top-6 role for better translation of his game on adult level. I dont know how well he will play center role on NHL level, I dont think he protect zone well, but he is pretty good on the boards and in forecheck and I think he will grow in great two way winger.

I watched a lot of SHL games of Holtz and all of his AHL games, plus wjc. I think he has a lot to develope in his game and he needs in good center. He didnt have one in shl in the second half of season, in sweden squad and in ahl. 

I really do think devils can try use Foote in NHL. And may be Clarke too. But not on the same line. And i`m afraid Clarke will not suitable for bottom-6 role. This is just an observation, a lot can change over the summer. Clarke has significantly improved his game over the previous year. Perhaps he will be able to take another step forward and be more active in forchecking.

Edited by Guadana

I gotta say that I love this board. I was reading comments all day but couldn't reply at work. Hilarious stuff. I was miserable with anticipation until signing was official. Oh, and props for someone finally making fun of Hyman's  name with some crude humour. I mean, his name is such an obvious joke goldmine yet never got even a brief mention by emo media here in Canada.