The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

10 hours ago, Guadana said:

Give Subban 3-4 mil for two years and trade Severson after this season. 

10 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

No thanks. I don't want the circus unless he accepts a super low deal

No, you said the above in response to the numbers of $3-4m. 

He wasn't clear with that and my reply wasn't either. 

Basically Savard just signed for $14 for four years in Montreal. Montreal usually has to pay more for free agents due to Canadian dollar and taxes. Imho Savard >>> Subban, so that's how I can get to a 2.5 to 3 mil contract. This is just a recent comparable, I'm sure there are more.

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

This is the most nonsensical argument in the world, and repeated attempts at bashing his character when he’s literally been a model citizen his entire tenure as a New Jersey Devils smells of something pretty stinky. 

Bingo. Guy has never said a bad thing about being here or the fans. Most of the guys social media is him working out, hanging out with family & friends and traveling. Literally what almost every one else does with their social media(minus working out for a lot of people lol) 

20 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

He wasn't clear with that and my reply wasn't either. 

Basically Savard just signed for $14 for four years in Montreal. Montreal usually has to pay more for free agents due to Canadian dollar and taxes. Imho Savard >>> Subban, so that's how I can get to a 2.5 to 3 mil contract. This is just a recent comparable, I'm sure there are more.

It was pretty clear, he said pay him 3-4m and you said no thanks, only if it’s a super low deal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Bingo. Guy has never said a bad thing about being here or the fans. Most of the guys social media is him working out, hanging out with family & friends and traveling. Literally what almost every one else does with their social media(minus working out for a lot of people lol) 

I'd never post myself lifting, running on  the other hand....lol

17 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I'd never post myself lifting, running on  the other hand....lol

No, but that’s a personality thing. Whether he posts his workouts is irrelevant to me, I don’t read his social media. But if one does, they probably know what they’ll be getting, and it’s really not anything I consider an issue. He clearly loves himself, but I haven’t seen anything in his time as a Devil where that meant taking anything away from the team.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Have you seen what defensemen are getting paid this year, post-COVID? I don’t think that’s a very good argument. 

Nobody thinks he deserves close to $9m. 

Speaking for myself only, I did not call you a racist, and in fact specifically said I was not saying it about anyone here. But when the crowd at a Bruins game boos him mercilessly, and you know what kind of a racist place Boston is, it’s a reasonable assumption that part of it is racially motivated. 

It has nothing to do with skin colour (not saying there's no racist jerks in Boston though, but that's not the main reason for sure). Historically MTL and Boston always had a huge rivalry and Subban was the pest for MTL, one of their best player then, he played dirty and dove a lot. Boston hate Subban like Habs fans hate Marchand. And if Subban started his career with the Rangers you guys would all hate him too lol

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Just look at all you guys. All having an argument about Subban and i was not involved a single bit :P

And yet here you are, it’s like there was a “76” symbol lighting up your library as you sat in the dark brooding…

(please get the reference…)

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

And yet here you are, it’s like there was a “76” symbol lighting up your library as you sat in the dark brooding…

(please get the reference…)

That’s funny as hell, but I’d say a “Lou” symbol is more accurate, heh heh.  There’s probably at least five more member “symbols” that would apply equally…if you haven’t tussled with SD over something, you’re not getting the full njdevs.com experience.

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

It has nothing to do with skin colour (not saying there's no racist jerks in Boston though, but that's not the main reason for sure). Historically MTL and Boston always had a huge rivalry and Subban was the pest for MTL, one of their best player then, he played dirty and dove a lot. Boston hate Subban like Habs fans hate Marchand. And if Subban started his career with the Rangers you guys would all hate him too lol

Possible. I obviously don’t know enough about that rivalry to know for sure.

But I can say there isn’t a single Rangers player that I have ever booed just for his mere presence on the ice, and that’s including while they are still current Rangers, let alone two teams removed. It’s one thing to hate a guy and another to continue carrying on all these years later. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Possible. I obviously don’t know enough about that rivalry to know for sure.

But I can say there isn’t a single Rangers player that I have ever booed just for his mere presence on the ice, and that’s including while they are still current Rangers, let alone two teams removed. It’s one thing to hate a guy and another to continue carrying on all these years later. 

I still hate Avery with a passion even after all this time, but there’s a huge difference between his antics, and simply hating Subban for being really good. Or for other reasons…

Idk, it’s hard for me to give Boston fans the benefit of the doubt on this. I’ve just heard too much sh!t over the years. 

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I still hate Avery with a passion even after all this time, but there’s a huge difference between his antics, and simply hating Subban for being really good. Or for other reasons…

Idk, it’s hard for me to give Boston fans the benefit of the doubt on this. I’ve just heard too much sh!t over the years. 

Avery is a good example, maybe some people booed him every time he touched the puck, it not to my recollection. 

I have been to enough live sports in Boston that I am confident about my position that it’s at least a little bit racially motivated. 

Might have been talked about already but if so I missed it but Dino BBQ and Edison Ale House both permanently closed. Personally I wasn't a fan of either so I'm hoping better things come along but I'd imagine those places will eventually be filled once events are for sure going again since they are prime locations. 

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Might have been talked about already but if so I missed it but Dino BBQ and Edison Ale House both permanently closed. Personally I wasn't a fan of either so I'm hoping better things come along but I'd imagine those places will eventually be filled once events are for sure going again since they are prime locations. 

I thought that Dino BBQ was ok.  I admit it, since my daughter goes with me most of the time, I rarely go to any of the bars or restaurants before or after the games…since we’ve been getting loft seats most of the time (well, way back in 2019-20 anyway), we get there early, have some buffet, then watch the game (and usually go up again for food during the first intermission).  That may change this season…really depends if the lofts will have the buffet again.  I do like the idea of trying some of the local restaurants with her though…and trying different viewpoints around the arena.

Edison was the first there to have a legit beer selection, so gotta give props for bringing that to the area.  But it felt like as the years went on, the prices climbed all the way up to stadium beer prices so I stopped going.  Redd's has an equal if not better beer list so I won't miss Edison, hopefully interesting goes in there.  Not like that dump PJ Ryan's.  What a joke that place is.

I’ve only been to Prudential Center twice, but we tried Dino BBQ the first time, and I thought it was awful. Mediocre food, and terrible service. My wife was super disappointed since she really liked the one she went to in upstate NY when she was in the army. 

We went to one of those bars that are in the alley right next door on the second trip, but for the life of me I can’t remember which one. Think we just got an appetizer and drinks that time. Wonder if was Edison…

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’ve only been to Prudential Center twice, but we tried Dino BBQ the first time, and I thought it was awful. Mediocre food, and terrible service. My wife was super disappointed since she really liked the one she went to in upstate NY when she was in the army. 

I believe the original is in Syracuse, I’m not sure that’s the one she went to (but if it is, I suspect she was in Fort Drum). People I know who have been to both say its like two completely different places. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I believe the original is in Syracuse, I’m not sure that’s the one she went to (but if it is, I suspect she was in Fort Drum). People I know who have been to both say its like two completely different places. 

Yep. And yeah, that’s basically what she said. 

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

There's definitely other reasons. Not sure why so many people refuse to believe EVERYTHING coaches, teammates, ex-teammates, players around the league ALL said about Subban during his time in MTL. Plus multiple video evidences. These are not "rumours", these are ALL people working directly with him every day and calling him out publicly on his sh!t. I truly don't understand why people keep putting their head in the sand about this.

So you've heard many justifications supporting both sides of this argument, you just decide to believe one and not the other it appears.

Obviously that's not to say there's no racist fans in boston, there's probably racist fans all around the league here and there. But to sit there and say that any hate towards Subban is unjustified or purely based on skin colour, like the guy never did things to piss other people off is just non-sense to me. Player on his OWN TEAM couldn't stand him and hated him lie Gallagher. How is it that hard to believe players on other team could? lol 

Edited by SterioDesign