2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That was really cool to just look at.

If that was the Devils, two of them would've collided with each other, another one would have fallen down (without being so much as grazed), and someone else would just watched everyone else go up ice.  I have no idea what the fifth guy would've done.

And somehow 3 of them are behind the net when the goal gets scored. 

36 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He resigned. He probably doesn’t wanna coach for whatever reason, let alone here. 

Hard to tell.  From the quotes I saw, it sounds like he thought he ran his course with Winnipeg (he was in his ninth season).  Maybe he feels like he needs as much of a fresh start as his team did.

But without knowing anything at all, I'm guessing he's not going to jump right into another job.  

• Like 2

UPDATE: 

According to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, Maurice revealed that the belief that the Jets are in need of a new voice is what led to his decision to resign. In a statement to Friedman, Maurice explained: 

"This is a good team, I'm a good coach...but sometimes you can only push so far. Sometimes a team needs a new voice. They haven't quit on me, but they need a different voice. It's the right time for it, and I know that."

Added Maurice, "I feel good. I don't have a game I have to coach tonight and I don't have to get a job tomorrow."

It appears as if this is an example of extremely rare self-awareness from an NHL coach of what their team needs. Maurice seems at peace with the decision. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/paul-maurice-resigns-as-coach-of-the-winnipeg-jets?fbclid=IwAR2XF7qxLqxt74R_E1l1SfSty4uyYNa5VMJIhN3iGjpSo8LjH6jFsYYTsvM

Edited by MadDog2020

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

UPDATE: 

According to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, Maurice revealed that the belief that the Jets are in need of a new voice is what led to his decision to resign. In a statement to Friedman, Maurice explained: 

"This is a good team, I'm a good coach...but sometimes you can only push so far. Sometimes a team needs a new voice. They haven't quit on me, but they need a different voice. It's the right time for it, and I know that."

Added Maurice, "I feel good. I don't have a game I have to coach tonight and I don't have to get a job tomorrow."

It appears as if this is an example of extremely rare self-awareness from an NHL coach of what their team needs. Maurice seems at peace with the decision. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/paul-maurice-resigns-as-coach-of-the-winnipeg-jets?fbclid=IwAR2XF7qxLqxt74R_E1l1SfSty4uyYNa5VMJIhN3iGjpSo8LjH6jFsYYTsvM

Yea but we need him tomorrow...so like.....give him money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I would give him a blank check, but our owners don’t pay coaches. So it’ll never happen.

If Fitz presents a candidate that he really wants to hire (like Maurice), and ownership turns him down due to money, then I'll fully believe this.  Not there yet on that one.  

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If Fitz presents a candidate that he really wants to hire (like Maurice), and ownership turns him down due to money, then I'll fully believe this.  Not there yet on that one.  

They apparently passed on Laviolette over money, so that’s what makes me say that. Maurice would command big paper.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

They apparently passed on Laviolette over money, so that’s what makes me say that. Maurice would command big paper.

I could be 100% wrong, but I get the feeling Laviolette might have been a "If he's willing to come here at OUR price..." kind of guy.  Maybe the Devils would be more keen on someone else, and willing to spend for THEIR guy.

If anything, Ruff could be proving to be a "Hey, you get what you pay for" kind of eye-opener for ownership.  You can accumulate some nice young talent, but if your coaches are incapable of getting the most out of it (or hindering its development), won't matter much how many kids you've got.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I could be 100% wrong, but I get the feeling Laviolette might have been a "If he's willing to come here at OUR price..." kind of guy.  Maybe the Devils would be more keen on someone else, and willing to spend for THEIR guy.

If anything, Ruff could be proving to be a "Hey, you get what you pay for" kind of eye-opener for ownership.  You can accumulate some nice young talent, but if your coaches are incapable of getting the most out of it (or hindering its development), won't matter much how many kids you've got.  

Paul Maurice would be my absolute first choice of any available coaches, no question. I just have no faith in this franchise to do the right thing anymore. If there’s anyway Fitz could make that happen, that would drastically change my opinion of him. But I am certainly not holding my breath. At all. 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Paul Maurice would be my absolute first choice of any available coaches, no question. I just have no faith in this franchise to do the right thing anymore. If there’s anyway Fitz could make that happen, that would drastically change my opinion of him. But I am certainly not holding my breath. At all. 

It's tricky...I'd love for Fitz to at least make the phone call, but I guess can't really do that until he cans Ruff & Co.  If Maurice wants to chill for the rest of the season, I certainly wouldn't mind Dineen coming up as an interim.  I just don't know how much longer the Devils can roll with all Three Stooges...with each loss it feels like another nail's going into the coffin, but goddamn, how many nails does it take?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's tricky...I'd love for Fitz to at least make the phone call, but I guess can't really do that until he cans Ruff & Co.  If Maurice wants to chill for the rest of the season, I certainly wouldn't mind Dineen coming up as an interim.  I just don't know how much longer the Devils can roll with all Three Stooges...with each loss it feels like another nail's going into the coffin, but goddamn, how many nails does it take?  

At this point I feel like its all or nothing. Replacing Ruff and leaving the other two in place makes little to no sense at all. 

Someone get me Travis Zajac, Patrik Elias, and an experienced head coach. I'd like to give that a shot through the end of the year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

At this point I feel like its all or nothing. Replacing Ruff and leaving the other two in place makes little to no sense at all. 

Someone get me Travis Zajac, Patrik Elias, and an experienced head coach. I'd like to give that a shot through the end of the year.

Yeah I didn't mean the assistants get to stay if Dineen's the interim guy...should've clarified.  AFAIC, nASS and Recchi go no matter what.

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Wonder if they have any interest in coaching at this point in their lives.  At the least, they're definitely diving into the deep end of the pool.  

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wonder if they have any interest in coaching at this point in their lives.  At the least, they're definitely diving into the deep end of the pool.  

I doubt Travis would be interested at this point. He just retired, so I’m sure he has no interest in being on the road half the year and being away from his family. Patty is living his best life right now, so I doubt he’d wanna weigh himself down with the stress and the travel coaching entails either.

Edited by MadDog2020

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not just money but control. Guys like Lavi and Gallant want more say over things like staff and roster construction and we want a collaboration.

Hell no to Maurice though, when a guy tells you he doesn’t want to coach listen to him (cough Brent Sutter cough)

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah at this point just end any talk of the Olympics, and keep that period open for makeup games.  Gotta think many more postponements are coming.

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Not just money but control. Guys like Lavi and Gallant want more say over things like staff and roster construction and we want a collaboration.

Hell no to Maurice though, when a guy tells you he doesn’t want to coach listen to him (cough Brent Sutter cough)

Re:  Maurice, does he not want to coach period, or did he no longer want to coach the Jets?  Until we have a definitive answer that he absolutely is done with coaching, I'm open to the idea of him coaching the Devils.  

16 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Doesn't seem to have worked out too bad for Gallant for his current team and previous team.

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah at this point just end any talk of the Olympics, and keep that period open for makeup games.  Gotta think many more postponements are coming.

Re:  Maurice, does he not want to coach period, or did he no longer want to coach the Jets?  Until we have a definitive answer that he absolutely is done with coaching, I'm open to the idea of him coaching the Devils.  

I am not against the idea of Maurice, but he just seems like another coach like Ruff where the game seems to have passed him by (though not to Ruff's degree).

I would be welcome to Torts simply because I feel like this team has had too much of a country club atmosphere for too long.  Even if he gets sh!t-canned after a season or two I am down for it.  At best it leads to more wins under Torts.  At worst the management can use the threat of hiring another Torts-like coach if they let up again.