• Draft Slafkovsky
    • Draft Nemec
    • Draft Jiricek
    • Trade down
    • Trade for immediate help
    • Draft Cooley
    • Other

22 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Have we talked about the 2nd round pick we have yet? Supposed to be a few rhd available in the early 30’s.

Chelsey, Rinzel, and Warren stand out.

Pipe dream that Lambert falls or Devils move up to a late first to grab him. Low risk/high reward potential...then again we already got a few of those floating around in the system.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Neither D men will be picked 1-3 it's be 3 fw's in that order. Nemec/Jiricek are not Makar. Devils imo sure as hell aren't picking one of those D men.

Vegas did want to draft Patrickand did try to make a trade with njdevils. Even Colorado wants Patrick, but Phillies and njdevils didn’t want to trade their picks. No one did know that Makar is Makar. If our scouts think that they should draft D because they are BPA, they should do it. Better with trade.

3 hours ago, Jerzey said:

Have we talked about the 2nd round pick we have yet? Supposed to be a few rhd available in the early 30’s.

Chelsey, Rinzel, and Warren stand out.

Chelsey wouldn’t be available for the second round. It’s a mastery scenario.

Barabosha, Mastordomeniko, Warren are good options. Rinzel is interesting, but his defensive iq… he is very raw and far away from nhl. There are much more better prospects to draft by 37th pick. 

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Chelsey wouldn’t be available for the second round. It’s a mastery scenario.

Barabosha, Mastordomeniko, Warren are good options. Rinzel is interesting, but his defensive iq… he is very raw and far away from nhl. There are much more better prospects to draft by 37th pick. 

Yeah Warren at 6’5 really has my attention and he should still be there. But I’ve heard he’s a real work in progress. Definitely worth the 2nd imo.

Dougie, Seigenthaler, Bahl, and Warren. Our defense would be the biggest in the league haha. Even Luke Hughes and Okhotyuk are 6’1.

Edited by Jerzey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

Yeah Warren at 6’5 really has my attention and he should still be there. But I’ve heard he’s a real work in progress. Definitely worth the 2nd imo.

Dougie, Seigenthaler, Bahl, and Warren. Our defense would be the biggest in the league haha. Even Luke Hughes and Okhotyuk are 6’1.

Luke is 6’2. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Even better/bigger.

Hughes (6’2) - Hamilton (6’5)

Siegenthaler (6’2) - Severson (6’2)

Bahl (6’6) - Warren (6’5)

Okhotyuk (6'1) -- Just mentioning because I thought he looked better than Bahl in the limited sample size.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Okhotyuk (6'1) -- Just mentioning because I thought he looked better than Bahl in the limited sample size.

For sure. And from everything I’ve heard he was better in Utica all year, too. 

52 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Definitely. Completely agree about Okhotyuk. Just saying if we ever needed to roll with a big defense one night we’d be set.

Still think Warren is a good choice with our 2nd if he’s there though. Also Mukhamadullin is 6’4. 

Even better/bigger.

For the sake of conversation, not sure height matters when it comes to physical play. I don't think most outside observers would say the height here equals toughness. Not that everyone of the defensemen needs to be tough.  Bahl I thought was particularly timid on the whole for his size.  Sometimes you need a Jerkov or two.

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

Think you're confusing him with this dude.

PXL_20211016_015129778.jpg

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, titans04 said:

For the sake of conversation, not sure height matters when it comes to physical play. I don't think most outside observers would say the height here equals toughness. Not that everyone of the defensemen needs to be tough.  Bahl I thought was particularly timid on the whole for his size.  Sometimes you need a Jerkov or two.

Height doesn’t necessarily equal toughness (think Boyle), but it gives a defenseman an advantage because of the extra reach with his stick. Trying to dangle around a guy like Chara or Hamilton is a hell of a lot harder than a dman who’s 5’10 (in most cases). 

Yep. It's a combination of many things that makes a good defensemen, size, strength, positioning, IQ, stick, toughness etc.  Size alone is a start but if they don't have some of those other things or several of them it's probably not going to end well regardless of how long their stick is.  A smaller guy who moves well probably over compensates just fine having a smaller stick, right @mfitz804.  

My comment initial response was regarding Jerzey's comments 

(it's his opinion which is cool if that's what he believes)

5 hours ago, Jerzey said:

Even better/bigger.

Definitely. Completely agree about Okhotyuk. Just saying if we ever needed to roll with a big defense one night we’d be set.

Still think Warren is a good choice with our 2nd if he’s there though. Also Mukhamadullin is 6’4. 

11 hours ago, Jerzey said:

I like Warren. He is a rare guy whom I like from Q. On my taste its little bit early to draft him by top 40 pick, but its not a first round and Fitz didn't afraid before to draft his guy earlier. I will not surprised if we will draft him by second round pick if he will be available.

And yeah, I like idea of mobile and big defensive line. Bahl isn't a good skater for sure, but we have Severson and I believe Fitz will sign him. 

Mukhamadullin is very mobile and pretty big. It would be interesting story how Fitz will manage defensive line in the next two years. Even with not so great skating, Kevin Bahl is trying to find a way to be useful, Okhotiuk is great and fast skater, and he is great on the boards and in tight areas, this is a guy who literally have a chance to be a new "Sigenthaler". Mukhamadullin isn't finish product, but if you did watch playoff games of Utica, you could watch that he was the smartest guy on the ice between our defensemen, he has very good skating and his physical potential is big. Luke is Luke, he should learn a lot about defensive responsibilities, but he is Luke. And we still have Graves and Sigs. 

I believe we will see interesting trades in the future. Calgary have two interesting young goalies and Marston, may be they could have some interest in young good defensive prospects. 

Anyway, Warren has some kind of tunnel vision, his work on offensive blueline isn't great, he should work much better against the cycling. But he is a good skater for his size. At least he is average skater. He is trying to force his opponents, he is pro active and I like it. He is strong on the boards, but I have some questions about his mechanics on the boards. I believe he needs time to adapt his game in AHL because what is working with smaller young players, will not work with bigger players with more experience.

He is ... bad with the puck. His passing is bad. I have worries about how he will manage the puck under NHL pressure. I like all of his work without the puck - good on boards, awesome gap control, good positioning one on one or on breakaways to blocking the shot or pass, he actively closing the distance and manage opponents. But when he gets the puck and its on his side, questions are coming. His decision making with the puck is bad, he isn't good puckhandler and doesn't have any offensive upside outside of the shot and skating on rebounds. But you don't wanna see this guy closing the distance with opponents net and will try to have him close to your own.

I'm not tellin he is bad player. I really like him and I think he is very useful. He should work on his game and has some years of development.  I just don't make  him sweeter than he is. And may be there will be some better options in the moment, and I would think twice. Anyway I hope Fitz will trade Smith or/and Zacha for second round pick/s and will draft Perevalov and Warren/Mastordomeniko/Barabosha in the beginning of the second draft day.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Where is Juraj (if we pick him) going to play next year? (Finland? No. America?) Is he signed somewhere or possibly be in NJ?

He talks about his near future and positioning himself as closing to nhl ready. So I belive camp will show. He is eligible to play in AHL. Wright isn't if I understand everything correctly. May be his status can help.

It really would have been interesting to see what Brad Lambert could have done this season if he had played in a junior/weaker league. He has the skill set of a top 3 pick, but he had such a weak season that he could easily fall out of the first round. When I watch him play, I see a high motor, strong work ethic, excellent skating, good passing, great puck protection/stickhandling, and some good offensive instincts. But he seems to have this problem where he moves too fast for his mind to keep up. He'll enter the offensive zone effectively, but when pressured by the defense, he quickly evades danger, but holds on to the puck so long that any momentum that his team has built is just totally shot. Once he's safe from the opposition, he'll throw a pass to someone that isn't exactly in the best spot to do anything meaningful, and the scoring chance is gone. His anticipation and overall decision making under pressure really need a lot of work. And while he can outskate just about anyone to protect the puck, it's not exactly useful if he isn't finding an effective way to distribute it. I feel that in a weaker league, maybe he could have developed this skill better. It's unfortunate that he plays in such a defense-based league, where his deficits are particularly difficult to overcome. I don't think it's just bad luck that he scored so little this season.

If he's available at the Devils' second round pick, do you take a chance on him? His upside is just huge given his skill set, but he is very far off from reaching it at this point. There are certainly a few first round talents that I expect to drop to the second round (e.g. Perevalov), but I'm not super excited about many players who are expected to go at the top of the second round based on their rankings. I definitely would be tempted to take a chance on Lambert there. 

• Like 1

I really don't like drafting Russian players, (nothing against the players) but they tend to want to stay over there,  & learn their skill & play a couple years in KHL.(and Swedish players as well)

You draft No. America (players), you watch them immediately. They should be adjusting to the No. American size rink. Find out in a few years whether they will pan out.