GDT: 10/28/2022 Avalanche @ Devils Please No Washington Part Deux Kind of Game

Colorado Rockies 1976

52 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

So i'll just ask instead of assuming. Is this an exaggeration. Or this is legit what you see and how you feel?

Cause i dont even like Tatar and ive been vocal about wishing him and Johnsson to be gone before the season. Yet i can honestly say that i remember Tatar looking good many times this year at times and not just like... when he scored or wtv. Keeping with the speed and getting good chances. And i remember thinking that. And when i came to the GDT reading stuff like "wow it's like Tatar was shot out of a canon in this game" and stuff like that.

So i just don't see how someone who watches the game can say that he's lost all the time or ahead of Holtz cause Holtz very obviously can't keep up.

You mean that whole 1 time he scored? C'mon dude lol. 

He's getting minutes he doesn't deserve. He's got the 6th most powerplay minutes on the entire team! He's averaging a full 4 minutes of ice time per game than Holtz. He's frequently the last man into the zone, he's allergic to skating with the puck (probably because he fvcking sucks at it) and his only redeemable skill is that he's got a good shot -- but we haven't seen that since he's signed on to be a part of the team. 

I'm glad "you remember him looking good." I don't remember that. I "see and feel" that Tomas Tatar is a net negative when he's on the ice, and he's being given a roster spot and a slot on the top-three lines that he doesn't deserve. 

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I'm glad "you remember him looking good." I don't remember that. I "see and feel" that Tomas Tatar is a net negative when he's on the ice, and he's being given a roster spot and a slot on the top-three lines that he doesn't deserve. 

I pointed out the other day, he always looks like he is busy and playing hard but he never does anything with that. I don’t think he shouldn’t have a roster spot necessarily, but top 6? No way. You don’t sign a guy who was scratched in the Stanley Cup Finals, he does next to nothing for you, and you put him on the top line, or even second line? You just don’t.

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You mean that whole 1 time he scored? C'mon dude lol. 

He's getting minutes he doesn't deserve. He's got the 6th most powerplay minutes on the entire team! He's averaging a full 4 minutes of ice time per game than Holtz. He's frequently the last man into the zone, he's allergic to skating with the puck (probably because he fvcking sucks at it) and his only redeemable skill is that he's got a good shot -- but we haven't seen that since he's signed on to be a part of the team. 

Well who should have his spot? cause it's certainly not Holtz. I just don't get the obsessions of comparing the 2 at this point. Holtz can't keep up, he's just not ready. He played himself out of that spot. And while we can argue that Tatar did too. At least he can keep up with the speed.

Edited by SterioDesign

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well who should have his spot? cause it's certainly not Holtz. I just don't get the obsessions of comparing the 2 at this point. Holtz can't keep up. He played himself out of that spot. And while we can argue that Tatar did too. At least he can keep up with the speed.

The difference between the 2 is one (hopefully) has a future here. Tatar is a goner, so it would make sense to use Holtz instead if the results are pretty much the same at the moment between them  

Now if they don’t trust Holtz (which it seems they don’t) then they should send him to Utica to get more experience. Watching video isn’t going to do anything for him if he’s not allowed to practice it in game situations

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well who should have his spot? cause it's certainly not Holtz. I just don't get the obsessions of comparing the 2 at this point. Holtz can't keep up, he's just not ready. He played himself out of that spot. And while we can argue that Tatar did too. At least he can keep up with the speed.

Why does Holtz need to prove he deserves his spot when you're literally admitting Tatar doesn't?

And it's weird that you think he "keeps up". He drags play at a hideous level. 

2 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

Just to clarify, what concerns me, is they maybe rushing his development.  I understand he is a 7OA and Mercer developed faster, but it may be best to let him get some time in Utica to get his game on track.  They are playing well right now, so there is no real need to push him.

You can’t bench Holtz for multiple games and then throw him back in with limited minutes and not expect him to have a little rust.

The one time he was played regularly during a game he scored a goal. Let the kid play and make a mistake or two. Tatar and McLeod are allowed to sh!t all over the ice. 

44 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The difference between the 2 is one (hopefully) has a future here. Tatar is a goner, so it would make sense to use Holtz instead if the results are pretty much the same at the moment between them  

Now if they don’t trust Holtz (which it seems they don’t) then they should send him to Utica to get more experience. Watching video isn’t going to do anything for him if he’s not allowed to practice it in game situations

I agree that from the outside looking in, they should send him down. But if they are not. There has to be a reason for that.

35 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Why does Holtz need to prove he deserves his spot when you're literally admitting Tatar doesn't?

And it's weird that you think he "keeps up". He drags play at a hideous level. 

Why Holtz need to prove he deserves a spot? Because he has yet to prove that he belongs in the NHL... overall. Tatar did. Coaches will rather have a vet out there than a rookie who might make rookie mistakes costing you games. Especially if you're trying to get out of a funk or if you were booed days before lol

And me saying i wanted Tatar off the team doesn't mean that im saying he doesnt deserve a spot or wtv. I would have prefered a younger guy taking that spot and have his cap hit gone. Also Tatar proved that he can play in the NHL, he's not what he use to be. But he scored 15 goals /30 pts last season. That's not amazing but it's something.

Again, why are you so obsessed with this black and black / Tatar vs Holtz thing? We get it. you love Holtz and you don't like Tatar. That's clearly influencing your views here. But Holtz was outplayed by many wingers. Boqvist is in today instead of Holtz.

Edited by SterioDesign

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think the staff REALLY believes that they can right him just enough to draw back in with the big club; he'd already have been sent down if that wasn't the case.  The big question of course is when do they decide that it's better for him simply to get in-game action on a regular basis, even if it's back to the AHL?

If that’s the case, it better be soon. Not playing doesn’t help young players.

Edited by MadDog2020

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Why Holtz need to prove he deserves a spot? Because he has yet to prove that he belongs in the NHL... overall. Tatar did. Coaches will rather have a vet out there than a rookie who might make rookie mistakes costing you games. Especially if you're trying to get out of a funk or if you were booed days before lol

And me saying i wanted Tatar off the team doesn't mean that im saying he doesnt deserve a spot or wtv. I would have prefered a younger guy taking that spot and have his cap hit gone. Also Tatar proved that he can play in the NHL, he's not what he use to be. But he scored 15 goals /30 pts last season. That's not amazing but it's something.

Again, why are you so obsessed with this black and black / Tatar vs Holtz thing? We get it. you love Holtz and you don't like Tatar. That's clearly influencing your views here. But Holtz was outplayed by many wingers. Boqvist is in today instead of Holtz.

Every debate with you turns into a weird battle of "how many more replies should I send before I'm too exhausted". 

Boqvist is at least passable as a 4th liner. Holtz/Tatar are the two that are interchangeable because neither are very strong defensively. (Tatar is the worst Devil I've seen in my time as a fan in the defensive zone. That is said without hyperbole.) 

"Tatar did (belong in the NHL)" is your reason for him getting powerplay minutes and top-line minutes? Jason Arnott did too, should we toss him out there? Tatar is washed up, and an obvious anchor on a young and exciting team. You don't have to agree with me, you don't have to like Holtz, you don't have to hate Tatar, but please for the sake of all that is holy please stop sending "dear diary" type responses when I say Tatar over Holtz sucks. 

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Every debate with you turns into a weird battle of "how many more replies should I send before I'm too exhausted". 

Boqvist is at least passable as a 4th liner. Holtz/Tatar are the two that are interchangeable because neither are very strong defensively. (Tatar is the worst Devil I've seen in my time as a fan in the defensive zone. That is said without hyperbole.) 

"Tatar did (belong in the NHL)" is your reason for him getting powerplay minutes and top-line minutes? Jason Arnott did too, should we toss him out there? Tatar is washed up, and an obvious anchor on a young and exciting team. You don't have to agree with me, you don't have to like Holtz, you don't have to hate Tatar, but please for the sake of all that is holy please stop sending "dear diary" type responses when I say Tatar over Holtz sucks. 

sorry i'm not going to read all that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Holtz over Tatar is fine. Tatar over Holtz and Holtz in Utica I could deal with. Tatar playing and Holtz sitting is ludicrous. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Holtz over Tatar is fine. Tatar over Holtz and Holtz in Utica I could deal with. Tatar playing and Holtz sitting is ludicrous. 

I agree with this to an extent. But my "I could deal with" levels with Tatar have pretty much reached their end. Another couple of useless games getting top-6 minutes and it'll be tough to watch. 

Made a big mistake tonight…broke out my white Resch Rockies jersey (just for a little fun, due to the opponent), and too many people are assuming I’m an Avs fan.  If I was an Avs fan, I’d be wearing Avs gear.  Rockies are a part of DEVILS history.  Geez. 

I thought Holtz played well in the preseason, and then less well since the season opener. That said, I think he deserved a bit more leeway than he was given. NHL is a big adjustment, and it takes some time to get used to it. I feel that if Ruff had a bit more job security, he would have given Holtz more of an opportunity to succeed. Instead, Ruff has been forced to play it safe by sticking with veterans.

I think a sheltered role could be a good thing for Holtz. Limited 5-on-5 time with a lot of power play time could at least give him something to build on. And without Shara on the power play, the Devils could really use someone with a good shot.

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Made a big mistake tonight…broke out my white Resch Rockies jersey (just for a little fun, due to the opponent), and too many people are assuming I’m an Avs fan.  If I was an Avs fan, I’d be wearing Avs gear.  Rockies are a part of DEVILS history.  Geez. 

Not according to Adidas

17 minutes ago, nessus said:

I thought Holtz played well in the preseason, and then less well since the season opener. That said, I think he deserved a bit more leeway than he was given. NHL is a big adjustment, and it takes some time to get used to it. I feel that if Ruff had a bit more job security, he would have given Holtz more of an opportunity to succeed. Instead, Ruff has been forced to play it safe by sticking with veterans.

I think a sheltered role could be a good thing for Holtz. Limited 5-on-5 time with a lot of power play time could at least give him something to build on. And without Shara on the power play, the Devils could really use someone with a good shot.

It’s funny how no one has a problem with giving young defensemen sheltered minutes so they can adjust but no one wants to do it with young forwards. 

I don’t see the point of sitting Bahl for smith and Holtz so Tatar can take another dumb penalty like he just did. 

Wow Tatar is just…so fvcking terrible at hockey.  He’s just about finished.