GDT 11/1/2022 Devils @ Canucks Hughes vs Hughes

Colorado Rockies 1976

We know November has been the month where the fun and promising starts of recent seasons go to die, often in soul-crushing and greatly disturbing fashion.  Hopefully not this year…there’s talent here and no nASS and Recchi.

West Coast games are always a bitch (for players and fans alike), so not expecting a win tonight, just hoping for one.  Get ‘er done boys!

L G M F D!!!

• Like 3

Ok -- new random trade thought of the day.

Leafs are imploding. They need defense badly. Leafs fans think Marner is redundant, since he's a very similar player to Matthews -- big, tall guy who controls the play and lights the lamp. 

What about Severson, Holtz, Shakir Mukhmadulin and a lottery protected 1st for Marner? Marner has a big cap hit (10.9) but it's only for this year and 2 more years, which gives the Devils the flexibility they need when Luke/Simon/Mercer etc need to be paid. 

Imagine a lineup of

Mercer-Hischier-Sharangovich
Bratt-Hughes-Marner

?!?!?! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Leafs are imploding. They need defense badly. Leafs fans think Marner is redundant, since he's a very similar player to Matthews -- big, tall guy who controls the play and lights the lamp. 

What about Severson, Holtz, Shakir Mukhmadulin and a lottery protected 1st for Marner? Marner has a big cap hit (10.9) but it's only for this year and 2 more years, which gives the Devils the flexibility they need when Luke/Simon/Mercer etc need to be paid. 

Imagine a lineup of

Bratt-Hughes-Marner

?!?!?! 

EA0B2EF1-88B5-47CD-9373-54C21017C3AB.gif

29 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Imagine a lineup of

Bratt-Hughes-Marner

?!?!?! 

I’d rather have the promise of Holtz/Shakir over the next 15 years than have Marner for two. We aren’t cup contenders just yet. Also that Bratt-Hughes-Marner line would be a D-zone disaster.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Imagine a lineup of

Bratt-Hughes-Marner

?!?!?! 

Marner becomes a huge pansy in the playoffs, he's a mental midget, and he has a psycho dad.  I think I would rather use those assets on a true, big trigger man rather than another elite passer.  Maybe Boston makes Pavel Zacha available.  6'4", elite shot, kills penalties.  Imagine him on a line with Nico and Bratt.

Shocked Vince Mcmahon GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

34 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Marner becomes a huge pansy in the playoffs, he's a mental midget, and he has a psycho dad.  I think I would rather use those assets on a true, big trigger man rather than another elite passer.  Maybe Boston makes Pavel Zacha available.  6'4", elite shot, kills penalties.  Imagine him on a line with Nico and Bratt.

Shocked Vince Mcmahon GIF

I don’t know if we’d be lucky enough to get a guy like Zacha. 

• Haha 2

Leafs were on a tough road trip and lost a couple of games in OT...probably early to categorize them as "imploding".  Gonna take more than a four-game losing streak for them to start to break up that core...they have a ton of home games coming up (8 out of their next 10 games).  They can bounce back.  

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Leafs were on a tough road trip and lost a couple of games in OT...probably early to categorize them as "imploding".  Gonna take more than a four-game losing streak for them to start to break up that core...they have a ton of home games coming up (8 out of their next 10 games).  They can bounce back.  

They're too talented to stay this bad but most of their issues don't seem to be centered around talent. It looks more like effort-- lack of desire and motivation is the theme from what I've seen. Kind of reminds me of another team...

LGD, keep it rolling!

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

They're too talented to stay this bad but most of their issues don't seem to be centered around talent. It looks more like effort-- lack of desire and motivation is the theme from what I've seen. Kind of reminds me of another team...

LGD, keep it rolling!

And as far as that proposal goes, Severson is not the guy I’m going after if I’m looking for “Right Now Help” to solidify my D-core.  He’ll always be way too mistake-prone.

Marner is productive and maybe a playoff change of scenery would help, but DAMN that’s fvckton of money going to Bratt and Marner.  But as has been noted, the D-core outside of Hamilton should be relatively cheap the next few years. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You must've never heard of the Toronto media, lmao. 

Spittin Chiclets today was acting like the Leafs were in DEFCON 3. 

2 hours ago, devlman said:

I’d rather have the promise of Holtz/Shakir over the next 15 years than have Marner for two. We aren’t cup contenders just yet. Also that Bratt-Hughes-Marner line would be a D-zone disaster.

Fifteen years?!?!?! Lmao huh?!? 

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

Imagine a lineup of

Bratt-Hughes-Marner

?!?!?! 

Fans are stupid, Leafs will never trade Marner. And if the sky will fallen, they will ask the price like Calgary got for Tkachuk or even bigger.

Slow start is not something new for Leafs.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You must've never heard of the Toronto media, lmao. 

Spittin Chiclets today was acting like the Leafs were in DEFCON 3. 

Oh yeah I'm sure the Toronto media is losing their minds...just like they were when the Leafs stumbled out of the gate early last season.  I'm guessing that as long as the team is playing well enough to make the playoffs, this core gets one more shot...one more first-round exit, and then I can see a big piece being moved as a shake-up.  If they're still stumbling in a few more weeks, yeah, then they probably pull the trigger on something earlier.   

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh yeah I'm sure the Toronto media is losing their minds...just like they were when the Leafs stumbled out of the gate early last season.  I'm guessing that as long as the team is playing well enough to make the playoffs, this core gets one more shot...one more first-round exit, and then I can see a big piece being moved as a shake-up.  If they're still stumbling in a few more weeks, yeah, then they probably pull the trigger on something earlier.   

Don’t forget- Dubas’ job is on the line. He could be desperate.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Don’t forget- Dubas’ job is on the line. He could be desperate.

It will take more than a four-game losing streak, but yeah, a bad November and it's going to get very ugly up there very quickly.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It will take more than a four-game losing streak, but yeah, a bad November and it's going to get very ugly up there very quickly.  

Keefe’s seat has to be red hot. Especially with Trotz saying he’d love to coach an Original Six team.

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Keefe’s seat has to be red hot. Especially with Trotz saying he’d love to coach an Original Six team.

And as far as the HC front goes, damned near impossible to imagine that Brunette isn't the head coach of the Devils next season.  As long as the team can play well and avoid any prolonged funks, Ruff will get to stick around through the end of this season, and then will step aside, with Brunette taking over.  The team is now playing so differently than they did when nASS and Recchi were around that it's hard to believe that Ruff has much at all to do with any of this turnaround...seems like the assistants have a system in place and were given a lot of freedom in implementing it.  If anything I think he's basically making sure that he doesn't get in the way too much.

And it's funny, now looking back on the first two games, you could see signs of what Brunette, McGill, and others were trying to implement, but then you'd see the team revert to the "old" Devils general clusterfvckery (quick goals against, extended defensive lapses, etc).  It took those two games, and naturally we'll get clunkers on occasion because EVERY team has some throughout the course of a long season, but except for the game against the Caps, we've barely seen the Ruff/nASS/Recchi Devils at all.  Even in the win against the Red Wings, it was like after 5 minutes in they said "Oh wait, we're not that team anymore", and then the switch to the "new" Devils was flicked.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MB3 said:

Imagine a lineup of

Bratt-Hughes-Marner

?!?!?! 

Huh?  Isn't Marner undersized?   Like 180 lbs soaking wet?   Not tall either.   I think he's more redundant with a Bratt than a Matthews.   

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Huh?  Isn't Marner undersized?   Like 180 lbs soaking wet?   Not tall either.   I think he's more redundant with a Bratt than a Matthews.   

He is under 6 feet.  He's also a very different type of player than Matthews is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Listed at 6’0” 181lbs, and better than PPG for his career. I’d be interested. 

They gotta do better than UFA-to-be Seves and a couple of we’ll see prospects (one of whom isn’t even playing in North America at the moment).  If I’m the Leafs, I go after L Hughes or Nemec for starters.  Not saying that I’d be willing to give either one up, but you gotta get a nice haul back for a guy like Marner.  

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They gotta do better than UFA-to-be Seves and a couple of we’ll see prospects (one of whom isn’t even playing in North America at the moment).  If I’m the Leafs, I go after L Hughes or Nemec for starters.  Not saying that I’d be willing to give either one up, but you gotta get a nice haul back for a guy like Marner.  

That would be the point at which I would begin laughing hysterically and hang up 🤣

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

That would be the point at which I would begin laughing hysterically and hang up 🤣

Yeah I’m absolutely not giving those guys up, but one bad-team player who’s not going to be worth whatever he gets as a UFA and two “Who knows?” prospects isn’t getting it done.  The Leafs gotta do better than that.

• Like 1