GDT: Stars @ Devils, 7:00 pm Party Like It’s 199…er, 2000

Colorado Rockies 1976

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

At that point it’s “oh well, who gives a fvck”. 

For sure, like I said, just hate giving the other team another gimme.  Do any teams ever really come back after giving up that first ENG?  Just call it a day.

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Wow. 

The first and quite possibly the last time that mfitz has been out-mfitz-ed…

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If the Devils got off to a respectably solid start (say 10-5-2 or thereabouts) and then went 0-4-1 and suddenly they’re very middling, I could understand some serious pessimism and angst then.  But 21-6–2 after a few games that weren’t great but hardly disastrous…I gotta see them lose a lot more than that before I start worrying.  

Well that's basic rational thinking lol

But we all know that doesn't really fly here. Especially for the usual suspects that for... wtv reasons, clearly prefer taking the pessimistic route vs the optimistic one. It's like clockwork.

Late in the game i posted something positive encouraging the boys to get a goal, that we've done it before and can do it again and one of those losers called me a Rangers fan. That goes to show how fvcking dumb and negative some people here are.

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's basic rational thinking lol

But we all know that doesn't really fly here. Especially for the usual suspects that for... wtv reasons, clearly prefer taking the pessimistic route vs the optimistic one. It's like clockwork.

Late in the game i posted something positive encouraging the boys to get a goal, that we've done it before and can do it again and one of those losers called me a Rangers fan. That goes to show how fvcking dumb and negative some people here are.

I mean people were looking to overhaul the whole team because we were down 2-1…

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

There's a fear that midnight is approaching, and this team will turn into a pumpkin. I don't think that will happen. 

It's a long season. Might as well enjoy the ride. 

15 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

There's a fear that midnight is approaching, and this team will turn into a pumpkin. I don't think that will happen. 

I mean it’s 10:56, midnight is clearly approaching…

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Well exactly, why not enjoy the ride vs seeing everything through a doom and gloom lens.

Remember the claims that our young guys would just fully adopt the losing culture and wouldn't know how to win for the rest of their entire career IF Fitz didn't get us a #1 goalie at the trade deadline last year? lol like... there was no turning back from that. WE HAD TO GET A #1 GOALIE AT ALL COST SO THAT WE CAN GET AN EXTRA 2-3 WINS IN A LOST SEASON.

He didn't get us a #1 goalie at the deadline and look at them now. Some folks really need to chill and enjoy the ride. 

Some people simply cannot handle losses and they make up those scenarios in their minds that keeps them angry no matter the context. There's no attempts at being optimistic at all lol

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean it’s 10:56, midnight is clearly approaching…

it's 11:59 here. It's right around the corner

1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

I feel like Haula is getting close. Then they'll come in buckets, right?

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

That dude couldn’t come in a bucket if he squatted directly over it. 

I am very happy I did not buy a purple nameplate and sew it onto my new jersey as I had been planning…

He did manage to put the puck in the net tonight...using his stick this time too! Progress was made.

dumb patrick star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

At least he isn't happy about it either:

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean people were looking to overhaul the whole team because we were down 2-1…

Not telling anyone how to be fan but personally when the team is down early and that i keep things positive and encouraging them. And that they actually come back and win. Well then im just glad i didn't give up on my team and even if they don't win, well at least it kept me calm and hopeful during the game. Why would i want to jump the gun and be upset when there's still a chance we win? 

Now just imagining that i'd get angry when they fall behind early to the point of raging and being irrational. sh!tting on all of them calling for trades and people to get fired... and that the team actually come back and win... well i'd just personally feel really embarassed lol And if they lose... then doubling down that i was right for hating. Well congrats to me. My price was being angry for 3 hour. Yay.

Edited by SterioDesign

Do we have any clue when Palat and Bastian are expected back?  When we have our top 12, I think a lot of the issues we're seeing start to solve themselves but it's unrealistic to expect a healthy lineup for 82 games.   Short term, we're in an interesting position because we're clearly icing a few forwards every night that don't belong anywhere near the NHL.   We're also one more injury away from literally having to play with 3 forward lines every night because the fourth would presumably be Holtz, Boqvist and AJ.  I'm not saying we can prepare for a long term injury to Hughes or Bratt but I think we need one more sh!t disturber somewhere in the lineup.  What if Wood had ended up with more symptoms from getting Scott Stevensed last week and was out for any significant amount of time?   

IMO we should just take Holtz out of the equation.   Regardless of if you think he needs more time to develop or we should protect whatever trade value he has left, I think the best place for him for the rest of the season is in Utica.  Getting benched, taking penalties because he's behind the play, etc. doesn't seem to be doing anything more than destroying his confidence. 

That leaves us with Johnsson and Boqvist to fill the 11th and 12th spots for now.   I'm not sure what to make of Johnsson because Lindy has been reluctant to even play him and then he got like 4 minutes tonight.   Boqvist is the guy for me that brings absolutely nothing.  For someone that you never even notice and is barely sticking in the NHL, he also doesn't seem to have the necessary effort level to even warrant the ice time he's getting.       

I certainly don't want to waste important assets trying to stem a 3 game losing streak in mid December but I guess I'm hoping that Fitz is working the phones to find the next guy we'll all hate for something like a 5th or 6th round pick that at least has a little size and will spend a lot of time in the dirty areas.   

Edited by Lateralous

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

He did manage to put the puck in the net tonight...using his stick this time too! Progress was made.

dumb patrick star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

At least he isn't happy about it either:

They’ve been getting boxed out three games in a row and they have been sloppy with their passes.  Low points are going to happen throughout the season as teams figure out how to play them.  The Devils will need to make adjustments and that’s all.  No one expected them to lose 15 games.  I was expecting at least 32 loses after the start they had.

28-25 the rest of the way gets them in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

Do we have any clue when Palat and Bastian are expected back?  When we have our top 12, I think a lot of the issues we're seeing start to solve themselves but it's unrealistic to expect a healthy lineup for 82 games.   Short term, we're in an interesting position because we're clearly icing a few forwards every night that don't belong anywhere near the NHL.   We're also one more injury away from literally having to play with 3 forward lines every night because the fourth would presumably be Holtz, Boqvist and AJ.  I'm not saying we can prepare for a long term injury to Hughes or Bratt but I think we need one more sh!t disturber somewhere in the lineup.  What if Wood had ended up with more symptoms from getting Scott Stevensed last week and was out for any significant amount of time?   

IMO we should just take Holtz out of the equation.   Regardless of if you think he needs more time to develop or we should protect whatever trade value he has left, I think the best place for him for the rest of the season is in Utica.  Getting benched, taking penalties because he's behind the play, etc. doesn't seem to be doing anything more than destroying his confidence. 

That leaves us with Johnsson and Boqvist to fill the 11th and 12th spots for now.   I'm not sure what to make of Johnsson because Lindy has been reluctant to even play him and then he got like 4 minutes tonight.   Boqvist is the guy for me that brings absolutely nothing.  For someone that you never even notice and is barely sticking in the NHL, he also doesn't seem to have the necessary effort level to even warrant the ice time he's getting.       

I certainly don't want to waste important assets trying to stem a 3 game losing streak in mid December but I guess I'm hoping that Fitz is working the phones to find the next guy we'll all hate for something like a 5th or 6th round pick that at least has a little size and will spend a lot of time in the dirty areas.   

A Maroon type player would be nice.

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Not telling anyone how to be fan but personally when the team is down early and that i keep things positive and encouraging them. And that they actually come back and win. Well then im just glad i didn't give up on my team and even if they don't win, well at least it kept me calm and hopeful during the game. Why would i want to jump the gun and be upset when there's still a chance we win? 

Now just imagining that i'd get angry when they fall behind early to the point of raging and being irrational. sh!tting on all of them calling for trades and people to get fired... and that the team actually come back and win... well i'd just personally feel really embarassed lol And if they lose... then doubling down that i was right for hating. Well congrats to me. My price was being angry for 3 hour. Yay.

How many were chanting fire Ruff before game two of the season and now there is a lecture about negativity?  Then, there were the sorry Lindy chants.  If the go 20-33 and miss the playoff, do we go back to fire Ruff?  It’s not like we’ve been a perennial playoff team and not seen the Devils fall off the rails into obscurity.  Even during the playoff season they stunk for the last half.  And then we have to deal with Rangers, Bruins, Flyers and Islanders fans, depending on where you live.  They are giving up leads, getting pushed around, and playing sloppy.  I had to watch the Rangers broadcast and, even with the Rangers down 2, the Rangers players were laughing and smiling on the bench.  So, if fans are frustrated after a great start with what we’ve been watching since the Predators game; and I would say since the bruising they took from Calgary despite the wins; they should be.

Edited by Puckbuster

1 hour ago, Puckbuster said:

How many were chanting fire Ruff before game two of the season and now there is a lecture about negativity?  Then, there were the sorry Lindy chants.  If the go 20-33 and miss the playoff, do we go back to fire Ruff?  It’s not like we’ve been a perennial playoff team and not seen the Devils fall off the rails into obscurity.  Even during the playoff season they stunk for the last half.  And then we have to deal with Rangers, Bruins, Flyers and Islanders fans, depending on where you live.  They are giving up leads, getting pushed around, and playing sloppy.  I had to watch the Rangers broadcast and, even with the Rangers down 2, the Rangers players were laughing and smiling on the bench.  So, if fans are frustrated after a great start with what we’ve been watching since the Predators game; and I would say since the bruising they took from Calgary despite the wins; they should be.

Or if some wouldn't be so damn pessimist and doom and gloom they could go "well they had a few losses early and i lost my sh!t for nothing cause then they went on a legendary run and now are sitting 2nd in the league, completely making me look silly... i should learn from that and apply it to this rough stretch, plus every teams go through these patches every season so no reason to panic just yet"

But of course why would you even attempt to be this rational and optimistic when you enjoy being frustrated and unhappy. Way better to focus on the recent struggles which is like 3% of the entire season and project that it's the start of them falling off a cliff and missing the playoffs.

And a disclaimer for the 400th time. You can feel any way you want, its your life. I'm not telling you how to feel, im just saying that acting like this looks pathetic and sad to me, that's simply my very own opinion and this is a message board which goal is for people to share and discuss their opinions so so here it is.

Edited by SterioDesign

7 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Yeah there’s definitely talent on the big club now and it’s a good team, but we knew organizational depth was going to be an issue…they can’t handle too many injuries.  There was chatter last season about how good Utica was, but I always felt like it was more of a fine AHL team, than a team chock full of NHL prospects.  It’s pretty much the Nemec show down there right now (and soon to be the Holtz and Nemec show, hopefully).  Maybe Daws has a future, but just not much else in Utica at the moment to get excited about.

Fitz can get creative if he wants to in trying to find another body, but I’m guessing it’s going to be about waiting for Palat and Bastian to make their returns.