GDT - Devils vs Rags Game 7 --Devils move on!

NJDfan1711

26 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Kreider being on the ice for all 4 goals was just the chefs kiss for me because I hate that guys face so much.

Fox had a brutal game, too. Which I liked since he’s probably their 2nd best player after Igor. 

• Like 3
  • EvilHeart 2

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Kreider being on the ice for all 4 goals was just the chefs kiss for me because I hate that guys face so much.

The best thing about about Palat and McLeod's goal (really was a team effort) was ALL of Fox, Kreider, and Zibanejad being made to look completely helpless.

Ranger fans calling into the WFAN like crazy this morning...they all want Panarin traded and Gallant canned, heh heh.

It's a teeny sample of course, but man if Schmid turns out to be the guy who can consistently match saves with Shesterkin...holy sh!t, there goes the one real advantage the Rangers figured to have for the next few years.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Also Palat, holy sh!t, that play on the shorthanded goal by Mikey. That's what we've all been waiting for from him and he delivered. Love it! 

Rounding out the roster with guys like Palat and Haula instead of just focusing in on some mythical "core" is exactly why despite being on completely different timelines, we are advancing to the second round the same week the Leafs finally do it.    

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The best thing about about Palat and McLeod's goal (really was a team effort) was ALL of Fox, Kreider, and Zibanejad being made to look completely helpless.

Ranger fans calling into the WFAN like crazy this morning...they all want Panarin traded and Gallant canned, heh heh.

It's a teeny sample of course, but man if Schmid turns out to be the guy who can consistently match saves with Shesterkin...holy sh!t, there goes the one real advantage the Rangers figured to have for the next few years.  

If this is really the kind of playoff player that Schmid is, it changes a lot. First off,  bye bye Blackwood. We have very reasonably priced goaltending for a little bit. We can let Brennan and Daws battle it out in Utica. 

And secondly, it’s a calming presence in net that we haven’t had since pre-injury Schneider. I keep thinking back to Schmids save on Kane in the second, where Kane was point blank in the crease and Schmid just calmly kicked his leg out. That’s a special level of zen. 

• Like 1
  • EvilHeart 3

15 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Rounding out the roster with guys like Palat and Haula instead of just focusing in on some mythical "core" is exactly why despite being on completely different timelines, we are advancing to the second round the same week the Leafs finally do it.    

In Haula's case, really great to see the law of averages on full display:

First 73 games as a Devil:  8 G, 5.3% shooting

Last 14 games:  10 G, 27.7% shooting

The guy was SOOOOOOO (over)due to get some friggin' puck luck...couldn't be happening at a better time!  Just like that, he has now 18 goals through 87 GP this season...damned close to the 19 goals in 85 GP that he put up last season.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 5
  • Shocking 1

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

If this is really the kind of playoff player that Schmid is, it changes a lot. First off,  bye bye Blackwood. We have very reasonably priced goaltending for a little bit. We can let Brennan and Daws battle it out in Utica. 

And secondly, it’s a calming presence in net that we haven’t had since pre-injury Schneider. I keep thinking back to Schmids save on Kane in the second, where Kane was point blank in the crease and Schmid just calmly kicked his leg out. That’s a special level of zen. 

Blackwood was never coming back anyway...he's a RFA who probably doesn't even get tendered an offer.

But yeah, at the very least, you have VV who I went into detail about elsewhere...he's an excellent, extremely cost-effective 1B.

We'll see if Schmid can define himself as a young stud 1A going forward...if he can, what a hell of a tandem to have going forward.  Goaltending will be cheap next season too.  Beyond, hard to say...really depends on how Schmid plays next year.  His ELC will be up after that.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’m proud to say I defended Haula all season. I hope he signs an extension 

It wasn't just being snakebitten...he had his share of WTF moments earlier, which made it even easier to wonder at the time if he was worth keeping around.  But he's really settled in, and now after almost a full season's worth of some of the worst and most painful puck luck I've ever seen, it's going the other way for him.  Should be an affordable re-signing too, though of course, depending on what happens with Bratt and Meier, there may not be that much to allocate for everyone else.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It wasn't just being snakebitten...he had his share of WTF moments earlier, which made it even easier to wonder at the time if he was worth keeping around.  But he's really settled in, and now after almost a full season's worth of some of the worst and most painful puck luck I've ever seen, it's going the other way for him.  Should be an affordable re-signing too, though of course, depending on what happens with Bratt and Meier, there may not be that much to allocate for everyone else.  

Supposedly Haula is looking to settle in one place, so I could see him taking a little less to make something work. Seems like a real team player type of guy 

• Like 2
  • EvilHeart 1

9 hours ago, xxchaznjxx said:

Piss off NY!  What a great turning point for the franchise this season.  Making the playoffs was great but beating that team is almost like winning the cup.  So proud of this team.  I can now happily watch the playoffs again.

My exact sentiment. 😎😏😁

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Supposedly Haula is looking to settle in one place, so I could see him taking a little less to make something work. Seems like a real team player type of guy 

This team is becoming quite attractive to play for...gotta think some older vets would be willing to leave a little on the table to have a shot to win something.  Haula for 2-3 years at $2.5 million AAV (mild raise...maybe it needs to be $2.7 or so) might get it done. 

• Like 5

I can't believe how good Schmid looked in this series. The fact that he was thrown into the frying pan in a rivalry like this and was by far the best goalie means he deserves to be tried as the starter next season. Unless of course he gets injured in the offseason or looks terrible in pre-season.

I really love how he baits shooters to go glove side and then snaps it out of the air with a lightning fast glove hand. Reminds me of a previous Devils goalie in his younger years.

I was thinking this is a team with enormous upside but was questionable with their goaltending. Really hope he rounds out the team and provides steady goaltending where it's never a concern going into the playoffs in the years to come.

Edited by E-Devil
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This team is becoming quite attractive to play for...gotta think some older vets would be willing to leave a little on the table to have a shot to win something.  Haula for 2-3 years at $2.5 million AAV (mild raise...maybe it needs to be $2.7 or so) might get it done. 

Even at 2.7, at that term that's not the kind of contract that ever becomes the issue when we get in a cap crunch, especially since he plays such a well rounded game.     

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Even at 2.7, at that term that's not the kind of contract that ever becomes the issue when we get in a cap crunch, especially since he plays such a well rounded game.     

Along with that, you could really have nice bargain potential with guys like Bahl, whose ELC expires this season...you sign him for 3 years, $1.5 million AAV max (quite possibly a little less), he could definitely outperform that.  

• Like 1

Hopefully the fact that CAR isn't physically suffocating defensively so our scorers can get something going. Timmo, Nico, Mercer, Bratt we aren't going any further if these players stay as productive as Lafreniere was for the rangers. I think keeping Tater Tot and Haula around longer term would be good for the team, obviously if priced reasonably.  I have a good feeling about the Carolina series, we have a real shot. 

BUT the goaltending question is scary to me. We cannot afford to go down 0-2 trying to see of Vancek learned how to stop a beachball. Schmids hot, I'm leaning towards going with what isn't broken.

13 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

What a great morning. The Devils earned that win last night fighting poor refs and Shester who was a stone wall.

Feels good man

Sad thing is it wasn’t poor reffing.  It was clearly agenda-based bias reffing and it was blatantly obvious.  That sh!t has gotta stop.  May the best teams win, FAIRLY. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sad thing is it wasn’t poor reffing.  It was clearly agenda-based bias reffing and it was blatantly obvious.  That sh!t has gotta stop.  May the best teams win, FAIRLY. 

Hopefully this next series will be called a lot more fairly. I don’t see any reason why the league would prefer Carolina over NJ. Now that Toronto/Florida series otoh…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

sh!t bags being sh!t bags, what a surprise, ridiculous security didn't grab him...

That is SO them.  Not one bit surprised.