GDT - Devils @ Hurricanes Semifinals Game 1 5/3/23 7:00pm ESPN

NJDfan1711

Some things:

I didn’t notice wood tonight, that’s good I guess.

Graves has to sit, period. He has become the liability.

Dougie barely missed a few shots with posts.

the team was clearly gassed, almost hungover from the 7 games with the rangers. Full off day tomorrow, lineup changes Friday, profit?

My Raise Hell shirt is 0-2, goals 10-2 against. Yikes

• Like 1

Just now, jagknife said:

Some things:

I didn’t notice wood tonight, that’s good I guess.

Graves has to sit, period. He has become the liability.

Dougie barely missed a few shots with posts.

the team was clearly gassed, almost hungover from the 7 games with the rangers. Full off day tomorrow, lineup changes Friday, profit?

My Raise Hell shirt is 0-2, goals 10-2 against. Yikes

Yeah beating the Rangers in seven had to lead to a LOT of emotions.  Probably hard to dial it back up for a new series for a bunch of younger guys who felt like they won the Cup.  It’s OK, part of the learning experience.

Devils still have a shot at splitting in Carolina.  We would’ve taken that going in.  I wanna see how they bounce back from this.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Please don’t wear it for any more games 🤣

I promise this shirt is retired…

… until next round… 😉

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah beating the Rangers in seven had to lead to a LOT of emotions.  Probably hard to dial it back up for a new series for a bunch of younger guys who felt like they won the Cup.  It’s OK, part of the learning experience.

Devils still have a shot at splitting in Carolina.  We would’ve taken that going in.  I wanna see how they bounce back from this.

Bounce back. That’s what I want to see Friday, bounce back. Earn the split, they got punched in the mouth, again. Time to rebound.

man’s would it be too much to ask for no Wes Mccaully or Chris Rooney…?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Oh well. On to the next game. Getting kinda tired of Bratt and if it’s gonna come down to him or Timo, I’m taking Timo 

When Bratt is not on his game man can he look soft and disengaged.  Like he has for much of these playoffs.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

When Bratt is not on his game man can he look soft and disengaged.  Like he has for much of these playoffs.

Absolutely shocking to me in a pseudo-contract year. I figured he’d be playing out of his minds 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I promise this shirt is retired…

… until next round… 😉

Bounce back. That’s what I want to see Friday, bounce back. Earn the split, they got punched in the mouth, again. Time to rebound.

man’s would it be too much to ask for no Wes Mccaully or Chris Rooney…?

They did look better after that dreadful first period…not great by any stretch, but not so overwhelmed at least.  Hopefully they come out much stronger to start.  

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Lindy take him off the 1st PP unit. He doesn’t really deserve it right now. I’d put almost anyone else there right now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Lindy take him off the 1st PP unit. He doesn’t really deserve it right now. I’d put almost anyone else there right now. 

Hell put timo back on PP1 if he can go, let the entire 4th line go for PP2. They absolutely earned it. And that’s from a freaking staunch Wood hater

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

Absolutely shocking to me in a pseudo-contract year. I figured he’d be playing out of his minds 

That’s him though.  He can look beastly for 8-10 games and then disappear completely for six.  But these playoffs…good lord, he just seems very easy to shut down and play against.  And agree with @Nicomo, maybe take him off the PP1 unit.

• Like 1

Carolina might not be stacked with star power with all the injuries they have, but they are well put together and they play in a great system.  I think this series is a bigger hill to climb, but I still believe they can win it.  They have a day rest and maybe go over some things to tweak their play.  I think the biggest challenge will be countering Carolina’s smothering forecheck.  I think we have the better goalie situation and, if Timo can play, we will be better along the boards.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Hell put timo back on PP1 if he can go, let the entire 4th line go for PP2. They absolutely earned it. And that’s from a freaking staunch Wood hater

Right, but you can leave Mercer on PP1 even with Timo back and remove Bratt. 

Jack, Nico, Timo, Mercer, Dougie. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'd be tempted to scratch Bratt for game to 2 send a message(or as soon as Timo is ready). He was that bad tonight.

I dunno....he wasn't exactly "bad" in the way Graves was early in the game, but he was just really invisible.  He's trying to create space and cycle, but it just doesn't amount to much.

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I dunno....he wasn't exactly "bad" in the way Graves was early in the game, but he was just really invisible.  He's trying to create space and cycle, but it just doesn't amount to much.

Scratch them both, as far as I’m concerned.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

He was in the 3rd. He had 2 weak plays along the boards and on the one the Canes came down and scored the 4th goal when he turned it over. He then had another play where he tried to bank it off the boards to the point but it was so weak the Canes took it and got a 3 on 2. He just has not been good enough.

Also, beaten to death, but the PP is simply unacceptably bad. Weird that NJ has lost their games like this. If you told me before the playoffs that every game they lost would be like this and goaltending wouldn't be the reason I'd prob not believe you...but then again I'd prob also not have believed that Bratt(exc EN), Nico, and Meier would all not have scored and they'd make it to rnd 2.

3 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Lol no chance they ship Conner. Maybe Schiefle or dubous but I doubt it

That's why I said Chevy would have to be high lol.

In any case, Bratt should have put the pen to the paper when he was on the up. The playoffs, so far, have seriously hurt him. I hope that changes.

Haven't watched the game as I physically couldn't stay awake after Monday. 

However I will say this, the result wasn't a surprise given the turnaround from game 7 to this. 

The NHL is a joke. It's not a level playing field. How you can make a team go straight into the next series with travel is beyond me. There should be a minimum length of time between one series starting and another beginning. 

Hope the boys rest up and come back fighting in the next one. Splitting the two road games would be far from a disaster given the circumstances.

• Like 1