GDT: Game 5 - Do or Die - 11 May @ 1900

jagknife

18 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I'm not trying to plug one guy into his spot, that's exactly it.  There's only room for so many top dollar players in a cap world and between us adding Meier (I'm assuming Fitz will get his deal done) and Bratt paying like a "coward" as @Satans Hockey put it, I think he's absolutely played himself out of being any type of high priced core piece of this team.   Also, 73 points in 2023 isn't exactly irreplaceable, especially when you're not bringing much else to the table.  It was good for 48th in the league in scoring this year and 47th last year.       

The best way I can summarize it is like this.   We might not ultimately have the same success as Tampa but I think we're now at a spot that looks a awful lot like the Lightning about 8-9 years ago on their way up.   Jesper Bratt looks a lot more like the Tyler Johnson of this juggernaut than the Nikita Kucherov and they couldn't move on fast enough from TJ when all the other big salaries started kicking in.       

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Points don’t tell the whole story. Timo was infinitely better than Bratt down the stretch and in the playoffs. He was the team leader in hits in the postseason, and he made his presence known on a nightly basis. He literally shook the best goalie in the world off of his game. He did take a few too many penalties, but that comes with the territory when you’re playing a style like that. He never went completely invisible for entire games at a time like Bratt did

Kucherov was criticized this year for going invisible during playoffs. I understand both your points, but I disagree. 

Edited by RizzMB30

serious question.  and i say this thankful that schmid saved us against the rags. but felt like at least two of the goals were complete ass we would have been killing vv for.  i was solely focused on results and didn’t watch the replays for close inspection (was too painful frankly). 

Bratt also had an empty net goal that Patrick Kane did fvck all to prevent so that's why points also don't tell the whole story since he really had 0 goals that mattered. Not that anyone was great but also a -6 during the Carolina series. 

His lack of effort to block a shot yesterday with under a minute to go in a period was absolutely pathetic. 

I'm not saying get rid of the guy but he cost himself a ton of money with how he played. He went from at one point being #JBITBPITNHL to absolutely invisible and not even remotely a game changer that he was at one point. 

I'm sure as hell not tying up 8 million a year for him now. If he actually wants that much he can take the same hike he took during the playoffs. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Kucherov was criticized this year for going invisible during playoffs. I understand both your points, but I disagree. 

Kucherov had a 100 point season at Bratt’s age, and another 17 points in 17 GP in the playoffs that year. 

I know I just said points are everything, and they aren’t, but I think it’s safe to say Bratt’s ceiling is nowhere near as high as a guy like Kucherov. And Tampa has played a lot of hockey over the past few years. It was bound to catch to them at some point. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LIDevsFan1 said:

serious question.  and i say this thankful that schmid saved us against the rags. but felt like at least two of the goals were complete ass we would have been killing vv for.  i was solely focused on results and didn’t watch the replays for close inspection (was too painful frankly). 

First one was deflected and took a weird bounce through his 5 hole. 2nd one he was screened by his own man, so no I don’t think they were “complete ass.” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bratt had a terrible playoffs, regardless of what the fancy stats may say.  Its bad enough that he didn't put up points, but he was invisible for large stretches, got pushed off the puck constantly, and refused to get in shot lanes to block point shots a number of times in both series.  That doesn't make him a bad player, it just means he had a bad month.  But for a guy who wants to get paid more than Hughes, he just played himself out of anything close to that deal IMO.  

I don't think it will come to this, but if we have to choose between him and Meier for cap reasons, I take Meier 10 out of 10 times and trade Bratt. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

When you put up 93 points in 71 playoff games over the previous three seasons (and win a pair of Cups), you're allowed to have a meh playoff.  Not like guys have great playoff seasons year in and year out.

I don't think Fitz necessarily is looking to shove Bratt completely out the door, but like others have noted, the cap gets tricky, and difficult decisions have to be made.  I think at this point, I'd rather see Timo re-signed (due to the physicality he brings, and I expect he'll be more productive as a Devil in 2023-24 and beyond), and Dawson extended.  Luke only has two years left on his ELC now, so before you know it, he'll have to get paid too.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Bratt had a terrible playoffs, regardless of what the fancy stats may say.  Its bad enough that he didn't put up points, but he was invisible for large stretches, got pushed off the puck constantly, and refused to get in shot lanes to block point shots a number of times in both series.  That doesn't make him a bad player, it just means he had a bad month.  But for a guy who wants to get paid more than Hughes, he just played himself out of anything close to that deal IMO.  

I don't think it will come to this, but if we have to choose between him and Meier for cap reasons, I take Meier 10 out of 10 times and trade Bratt. 

I said it elsewhere but I think Timo brings more all-around of what these Devils need than Bratt does.  And I fully get that guys who put up 70+ points aren't all over the place, but there's only so much cash to go around...especially with two defensive prospects in the system who figure to get theirs in time.

And yeah, for a guy who's looking for a big payday...Bratt was just so blah.  Yeah he put up some points, but you almost wonder how he got them.  He was such a non-factor most of the time.  

for those who have access to NHL Network Radio there was just a long post mortem interview w Matt Laughlin.  Started around 8:15 Central Time.  Nothing earth shattering but covered all the bases.   most definitive thing he said was alluding to the organization souring on Blackwood  (not surprisingly) 

45 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Bratt also had an empty net goal that Patrick Kane did fvck all to prevent so that's why points also don't tell the whole story since he really had 0 goals that mattered. Not that anyone was great but also a -6 during the Carolina series. 

His lack of effort to block a shot yesterday with under a minute to go in a period was absolutely pathetic. 

I'm not saying get rid of the guy but he cost himself a ton of money with how he played. He went from at one point being #JBITBPITNHL to absolutely invisible and not even remotely a game changer that he was at one point. 

I'm sure as hell not tying up 8 million a year for him now. If he actually wants that much he can take the same hike he took during the playoffs. 

I was really disappointed he didn't put in more effort on that Burns goal. He looked like he was skating in molasses.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I said it elsewhere but I think Timo brings more all-around of what these Devils need than Bratt does.  And I fully get that guys who put up 70+ points aren't all over the place, but there's only so much cash to go around...especially with two defensive prospects in the system who figure to get theirs in time.

And yeah, for a guy who's looking for a big payday...Bratt was just so blah.  Yeah he put up some points, but you almost wonder how he got them.  He was such a non-factor most of the time.  

I think Ruff saw the same thing everyone was seeing. 

"I think a lot of guys gained a lot of experience and now realize, 'Wow, playoffs is a different beast.' It's hard to get there, even harder to move on. You've got to be firing on all cylinders."

https://www.nhl.com/news/devils-give-everything-they-have-in-game-5-loss/c-344338268?tid=343994044

• Like 1

I live 3 hours from Raleigh and was contemplating going to game 5.

The last time I was there was in 2012 when we put a 5-spot on them and clinched a playoff spot.

Kills me to see two big bodies like Graves and Hamilton not use their size and play so soft. Won't miss Graves.

Great season by this team, glad to see them beat the Rags and get some much needed playoff experience.

October seems so far away.......

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I hope we play them again and broom their asses. Can't wait to not have to hear about this curse bullsh!t anymore.

What curse? Not like we haven't beaten them before even if it was only once. The 02, 06, 09 and 23 teams were all vastly different teams. 

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

What curse? Not like we haven't beaten them before even if it was only once. The 02, 06, 09 and 23 teams were all vastly different teams. 

I don’t care; losing to that dumbass franchise in the playoffs in the most devastating ways imaginable is fvcking old as fvck. I want Carolina’s head on a damn spit next year. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t care; losing to that dumbass franchise in the playoffs in the most devastating ways imaginable is fvcking old as fvck. I want Carolina’s head on a damn spit next year. 

Yeah I'm obviously with you on wanting to beat them in the future, I just don't consider it a curse and haven't heard it referenced to as that until now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

When you put up 93 points in 71 playoff games over the previous three seasons (and win a pair of Cups), you're allowed to have a meh playoff.  Not like guys have great playoff seasons year in and year out.

I don't think Fitz necessarily is looking to shove Bratt completely out the door, but like others have noted, the cap gets tricky, and difficult decisions have to be made.  I think at this point, I'd rather see Timo re-signed (due to the physicality he brings, and I expect he'll be more productive as a Devil in 2023-24 and beyond), and Dawson extended.  Luke only has two years left on his ELC now, so before you know it, he'll have to get paid too.  

Nemec is in the same boat as Luke, too.

Just now, capo said:

Nemec is in the same boat as Luke, too.

Nemec's ELC won't start until next year...Luke's has already begun.  So as far as that goes, Luke's one year ahead of Nemec.

As for the rest:

5 more years for Dougie

4 more years each for Siegs and Marino

Bahl is a RFA; I'm thinking he'll get two years (maybe three), about $1.5-2 million AAV.  

Luke is a RFA in two seasons

Assuming Nemec joins the team to stay (I think he does), he's a RFA in three seasons

• Like 2

If that's the case Nemec wasn't unavailable for the Devils in the playoffs. But, he was listed as a healthy scratch last night on ESPN's box score. You may be right, I was under the impression he was playing in the AHL under special circumstances of being a European under his ELC.

Edited by capo

1 minute ago, capo said:

If that's the case Nemec was unavailable for the Devils in the playoffs. But, he was listed as a healthy scratch last night on ESPN's box score. You may be right, I was under the impression he was playing in the AHL under special circumstances of being a European under his ELC.

Nemec is a "slide candidate", meaning that since he signed his ELC pretty much right away and never got that 9+ games with the big club, his ELC can "slide" into another year before the three years tick away.  Luke's situation was different and I remember being surprised when I read that as soon as Luke signed HIS ELC, his contract was in effect immediately and not slide-eligibile...I do like that he wound up getting some experience at least, even if it was all of five games.  Also means the Devils don't get hit with both Luke and Nemec becoming RFAs in the same year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

We won that series, even if I believed in curses and that sort of bs wouldn't it only actually be a curse if we ended up losing that series after that? Lol

I didn't come up with the curse. Canes fans talk about it. Stevens ended that dude's career and NJ hasn't won a series against them since.