Prospects thread 2023-2024

Guadana

Oof that was ugly as fvck.  Hope he’s OK.

And fetch has a better chance of happening than yikes bikes.  What an awful saying.

6 minutes ago, vincois said:

I agree. He sat a lot in the 3rd last night.

Only Devil with less than 10 minutes of ice time last night.  

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

He's gone a few games without one, but still has more than double the goals of any of his teammates (he now ranks third in points, but the two players ahead of him are in their 30s).

BTW any updates on Nemec?  He didn't play in their last game.  Can't find sh!t.

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Great news indeed.

Been lucky, in that guys we thought might be out for a while haven’t been.  Nico didn’t even miss a game.  Nemec has only missed a pair of them so far.

Bardakovs revenge for Gritsyuk. Should have assist, but it wasnt counted.
After he scored PK goal.
https://t.me/NewJersey_Devils/440
Better game from Zakhar today. He started slow after another injury but with game after game he is finding his game and today he is playing on his edge more often like he liked before.
He scored PK goal.
https://t.me/NewJersey_Devils/441

Gritsyuk has secondary assist today. One of his yesterday goals.
https://t.me/NewJersey_Devils/432

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Chase has always had the right attitude and compete level. I know he has a lot of doubters (me included at times), but he is pushing forward.

For all we know, he many never even suit up as a Devil...like Muk, he might wind up getting moved in a package for more of a "right now" kind of player, if the right one becomes available.  

I get the feeling spots will open up in the next couple of years though, in the Bottom 6.  ELCs are going to be welcome on this team in the years to come...guessing a spot might be open for Chase in 2025-26, or sometime next season, depending on how things go for him.  

• Like 1

22-year-old Utica center Xavier Parent off to a nice start (4 G, 4 A, 8 Pts in 6 GP...he leads the team in points).

He went undrafted, mostly because his first four QMJHL seasons were not great by any stretch (but when he was originally drafted to play in the Q, he actually was picked four spots ahead of Mercer).  He had a big season there in his fifth and final year in the Q, but that came as a 20-year-old over-ager, so hard to make too much out of it.

He appears to have some skills, but size is an issue...he's only 5' 8" and 170 lbs.  He also missed a lot of games in Years 3 and 4 of his Q career, so durability might be an issue too.

I can see him getting a look in the NHL down the line, for a bad team that doesn't have much to lose as they slowly collect pieces during a rebuild.  Looks like he can have a terrific AHL career (or maybe he goes to the KHL in time), but not sure it will translate to doing much in the NHL.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

I've been quite impressed with Parent in both of the last 2 preseasons. I agree that there's probably something that is preventing him from translating his skill set to the NHL, but maybe he is just a work in progress.

In other news, Seamus Casey is having a monster season so far with Michigan. 14 points through 8 games so far is just nuts. Between him, Nemec, and Hameenaho, the Devils have 3 very exciting prospects that will be coming up soon. It just becomes a matter of how they'll fit them in the lineup.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nessus said:

I've been quite impressed with Parent in both of the last 2 preseasons. I agree that there's probably something that is preventing him from translating his skill set to the NHL, but maybe he is just a work in progress.

In other news, Seamus Casey is having a monster season so far with Michigan. 14 points through 8 games so far is just nuts. Between him, Nemec, and Hameenaho, the Devils have 3 very exciting prospects that will be coming up soon. It just becomes a matter of how they'll fit them in the lineup.

Yeah nice to have some kids for down the line too.

Curious to see how Casey potentially shoves his way into the picture...he's starting to look like a guy who doesn't have all that much left to prove with Michigan...how keen will he be on going back there for a third season?  But there really isn't much room for him with the big club.  If Nemec somehow never gets any time with the Devils this season, hard to imagine he won't be a full-on lock to start the season with the Devils next year.  If Casey ever decided to start his pro career next year, he'd probably have to spend at least one full season as a Comet (and given his size, that might not be a bad thing...he may not be able to make the jump right to the NHL after two seasons in college, the way some of his teammates have).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah nice to have some kids for down the line too.

Curious to see how Casey potentially shoves his way into the picture...he's starting to look like a guy who doesn't have all that much left to prove with Michigan...how keen will he be on going back there for a third season?  But there really isn't much room for him with the big club.  If Nemec somehow never gets any time with the Devils this season, hard to imagine he won't be a full-on lock to start the season with the Devils next year.  If Casey ever decided to start his pro career next year, he'd probably have to spend at least one full season as a Comet (and given his size, that might not be a bad thing...he may not be able to make the jump right to the NHL after two seasons in college, the way some of his teammates have).  

I never, ever like when switching positions is suggested, but would he work as a wing LOL? I havent seen enough of him to say yea or nay.  His mobility looks crazy and he seems to have high IQ.

42 minutes ago, John Wensink said:

I never, ever like when switching positions is suggested, but would he work as a wing LOL? I havent seen enough of him to say yea or nay.  His mobility looks crazy and he seems to have high IQ.

Funny thing is that I was wondering the same thing...do the Devils dare consider converting him to a wing?  I know it's pretty rare...I don't know of many players who were drafted as forwards who became defensemen, or vice versa.

The one guy who comes to mind off the top of my head is Gary Leeman...he was drafted as a defenseman by the Leafs in 1982 and even spent his rookie year in the NHL as a defenseman, before making the transition to winger as a sophomore.  I do remember that after struggling quite a bit in 1990-91 (after his career-best 51 G, 95-point season in 1989-90), the Leafs actually moved him back to D briefly.

But yeah can't think of anyone else at the moment.  I always wondered if Seves might have been better off being converted to a forward, but just seems like it's something that doesn't happen much.