Prospects thread 2023-2024

Guadana

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Devils probably graduate Luke, Nemec, and Holtz this season, and will still have a pretty good top end of their prospect pool (Casey, Gritsyuk, Hameenaho, Filmon). 

Yeah been over it but that's so important, when it comes to keeping the train moving, having those (initially) inexpensive "from within" players once certain other guys simply have to become cap casualties.  For several years, Lou had kids who could fill in for guys who left via UFA...we saw what happened when his drafts stopped consistently producing NHLers.  

BTW the rest of Hameenaho's teammates have combined for 17 goals...no one else has more than 3.  He's also the youngest on the team by a pretty wide margin...the second-youngest player on his team is about 15 months older.

• Like 1

Hello. Im from Finland and im fan of Porin Ässät (team which Lenni Hämeenaho plays). I was big Time surprised he didn't go in First round on The draft. I saw that he has potential to Be top-6 player in NHL tho he wasnt very strong at skating. He has good game sence and Puck control, doesnt give much giveaways on Finnish mens league.

He has improved his shooting skills much in The Summer, last year he wasnt much of a sniper maybe because he had just grown on height and had to figure things Out with balance. I see similarities to other previous Ässät player Joel Armia. He was Sniper in here Finland also but sadly didn't pen out to Be other than 3rd liner at best.

For those who dont know, in Finnish Liiga every team top points leader has golden helmet and U20 points leader has that blue helmet.

Time to revisit my top prospects list.

My thoughts were evry close to how in feeling it now

1 Nemec (1a)
2 Luke (1b)
(3) (Schmid)
3 Lenny (3a)
4 Gritsyuk (3b)
5 Holtz
6 Vilen
7 Casey
8 Bardakov
9 Orlov
10 Karpovich
(11) (Malek)
11 Misyul
12 Thompson (12a)
13 Foote (12b)
14 Filmon
15 Squires

Thats the list.

Nemec is better overall. Gritsyuk is playing in the game, he knows what he needs to do, where he should be and can drive by his own.. Vilen if he is raw, still very mobile, defensive and physically closer than Casey. Its really hard now to not put Casey over Holtz now. Orlov and Karpovich are developing their game, mobile and defensive reliable. Casey is a gamer, if he will outplay boards against high pro, he will be great at hockey. Filmon is raw product and its hard to say that he is guarantee NHLer, but some potential is there. Squires still has some NHL potential at least. Foote wasnt impressive but he and Thompson looked like replacable but stil nhlers even in limited roles. Lenny is awesome. I will think about Lenny as a name for my future child. Holtz should add a lot, because for now putting him over Casey is some kind of favor. I made a favor to Foote when putted him in top-10, now I dont want him in my top-10. Even if he will find himself as nhler, he will not gonna be Jersey Devil regular. Guys over him looks like a player with real nhl potential, with better nhl ceiling, with better potential to be Devils players or being good piece in the trade.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Really want Holtz to be a success, but just can't see it happening. Hope he proves me wrong but my faith in that happening is very low. 

As far as preseason went for Holtz...I'd say in the end, it was a mixed bag:

THE GOOD:

He came into preseason having made a serious effort to try to improve upon his shortcomings (speed, etc), and he does appear to be better.

I saw enough that I do think there's enough "baseline" for him to make the team to start the season, as well as at least be able to hold his own.  That's definitely a step forward, because in his prior trips up here I did NOT see that.

THE BAD:

He still drags down any Top 6 line he's been asked to skate with.  I am not at all surprised that Mercer's taken his spot alongside Nico and Timo, and that's 100% the right move.  Holtz is still not ready to get Top 6 minutes.  

I feel for him in that I think that if Haula misses a chunk of time, Holtz is in a tough spot.  I cannot give him Top 6 minutes; Mercer is far more worthy and the kid just hasn't earned them.  At the same time, I can't say playing with Lazar is going to help him much...not his offense, anyway.  But I do think that Holtz with Palat and Haula isn't a bad place for him to start, and those are good linemates for him to get acclimated with...so hopefully Haula will be back sooner than later.

13 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Really want Holtz to be a success, but just can't see it happening. Hope he proves me wrong but my faith in that happening is very low. 

Agree. He's a bit better but still mostly meh...I'd like to see them give Nemec  some time at RW in Utica-why not?  He's a way better skater than Holtz, better defensively and has very good offensive instincts. Same with Casey.  Nemec & Casey you notice them right away-they are play drivers. Holtz-not so much -he needs others to carry him too much.  They're giving him a (last?)chance now-it's his job to lose-we'll see-Hope he steps it up.

16 minutes ago, Have Another Donut said:

Agree. He's a bit better but still mostly meh...I'd like to see them give Nemec  some time at RW in Utica-why not?  He's a way better skater than Holtz, better defensively and has very good offensive instincts. Same with Casey.  Nemec & Casey you notice them right away-they are play drivers. Holtz-not so much -he needs others to carry him too much.  They're giving him a (last?)chance now-it's his job to lose-we'll see-Hope he steps it up.

No Way Do Not Want GIF

No because he's trying to develop as a pro defenseman. That is something you might do or try with an undersized dman who can't play defense, but Nemec can skate well enough to play defense and I would prefer him learning and playing that position everyday. Defense is inherently more difficult and the demand for being a great-excellent skater is sooo high in today's game. 

Maybe you can try that with Cal Foote who is so slow he couldn't keep up with AHL forwards in the preseason. His NHL potential is shot. I wouldn't mind seeing him crash and bang as a fourth liner maybe, but he probably can't be quick enough to be a forechecker in this Devils system. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Its too early. May be im repeating myself but only 9 players from 2020 played 40+ games last season. They are young.

And fans should understand- Holtz isn't fun play driver. He wasn't in SHL,  he wasn't in ahl mostly. He feels free in ahl because the level of competition is easier, but overall he still was and is complimentary scoring winger. He isa passenger most of the time, but when he sees the moment, he will make very good pass and find open space for himself. Its a hard skill to adapt for NHL speed and he needs time and patience.  He will not learn how to play his game in nhl without mhl experience.  He isn't good forechecker and he isn't good defensively in positional play. And ofcourse he needs to learn at least on average level. But this roster is so deep, we can hide his weaknesses and try to give him some time. If he isn't ready for playoff - Fitz can make a trade for rental middle six winger. And then Holtz can continue to work with Bratt for another summer. 

We don't need him as top 6 anymore. He can be role player from middle six. With the role of pp scorer.

I wasn't his fan on the draft day, but now he is our player. And his value in the trade isn't as interesting for devils as his potential as depth goal scorer. 

So even if I'm not of his fan, I offer to devils fans being patient.  We have good roster and time. Its better to ave him and develop, than watch how he will figure it out in other system like Marchment and Sandid did after being traded from Toronto. Holtz is elc player and its good to have elc talents with potential for contending team.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Have Another Donut said:

They don't need to. Nemec is a Norris candidate level prospect with great ability to defend. You don't switch to winger. Defense is much more important than middle six wingers.  And devils have Lenny Hameenaho for the future on the right side. Mercer, Bratt, Meier and Palat can play on the right side if Devils need. No need to confuse Nemec with his development of the future franchise Right Defenseman. Its the second most important position after 1C.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I feel for him in that I think that if Haula misses a chunk of time, Holtz is in a tough spot.  I cannot give him Top 6 minutes; Mercer is far more worthy and the kid just hasn't earned them.  At the same time, I can't say playing with Lazar is going to help him much...not his offense, anyway.  But I do think that Holtz with Palat and Haula isn't a bad place for him to start, and those are good linemates for him to get acclimated with...so hopefully Haula will be back sooner than later.

In case of Haula injury... I would use Mercer as third line center and would try Holtz as a winger for Nico. Or use him with Mercer and Foote/Bastian/Lazar/Thompson/who is better now as a top six winger. 

6 hours ago, Guadana said:

In case of Haula injury... I would use Mercer as third line center and would try Holtz as a winger for Nico. Or use him with Mercer and Foote/Bastian/Lazar/Thompson/who is better now as a top six winger. 

I think Mercer's more than earned Top 6 minutes; Holtz, not yet.  Mercer has produced with Nico in the past...let me see how a line of Timo/Nico/Dawson does.  Holtz will have to earn his way up to Top 6 minutes...I'm good with him playing on the third line for now, even if Haula's not able to play.  Lazar is solid (though obviously won't bring much offensively), and Palat is a fine vet...I think as long as he plays well enough, Holtz should get some good minutes on that line, and that's really all that I'm asking...that Holtz PLAYS, if he's going to be on the Devils.  No less than 10 minutes of ice time, no healthy scratches.  Hopefully Haula isn't out for an extended period.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Mercer's more than earned Top 6 minutes; Holtz, not yet.  Mercer has produced with Nico in the past...let me see how a line of Timo/Nico/Dawson does.  Holtz will have to earn his way up to Top 6 minutes...I'm good with him playing on the third line for now, even if Haula's not able to play.  Lazar is solid (though obviously won't bring much offensively), and Palat is a fine vet...I think as long as he plays well enough, Holtz should get some good minutes on that line, and that's really all that I'm asking...that Holtz PLAYS, if he's going to be on the Devils.  No less than 10 minutes of ice time, no healthy scratches.  Hopefully Haula isn't out for an extended period.  

Mercer deserved top 6 minutes absolutely. My post was more about balance in case of Haula injury.

I found Palat-Lazar-Holtz line very strange. I would prefer Bastian/Thompson or even Foote on that line. Holtz can't drive and Lazar isn't the option to drive, Holtz can't defend and this line will loose a lot of positional balance and they will not be good for "recycle" role. Of course its only my subjective view. And I don't think I'm really right here. Not in the case of line I never saw on the ice. Anyway will see.

Hope Haula will return soon, I like idea of Palat-Haula-Holtz line.

21 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Mercer deserved top 6 minutes absolutely. My post was more about balance in case of Haula injury.

I found Palat-Lazar-Holtz line very strange. I would prefer Bastian/Thompson or even Foote on that line. Holtz can't drive and Lazar isn't the option to drive, Holtz can't defend and this line will loose a lot of positional balance and they will not be good for "recycle" role. Of course its only my subjective view. And I don't think I'm really right here. Not in the case of line I never saw on the ice. Anyway will see.

Hope Haula will return soon, I like idea of Palat-Haula-Holtz line.

Same, I think the Top 6 will be potent enough that the Palat-Haula-Holtz line won't be asked to do too much...of course, if they click, great, even more offense.  But I like the fact that Holtz can get minutes with vets and not potentially drag down one of the top lines.

But yeah, the bolded, hope Haula's back before too long.  Lazar on the third line is far from ideal.  

On 10/10/2023 at 12:54 AM, Guadana said:

They don't need to. Nemec is a Norris candidate level prospect with great ability to defend. You don't switch to winger. Defense is much more important than middle six wingers.  And devils have Lenny Hameenaho for the future on the right side. Mercer, Bratt, Meier and Palat can play on the right side if Devils need. No need to confuse Nemec with his development of the future franchise Right Defenseman. Its the second most important position after 1C.

100% agree. Huge reason why Fitzy went looking for a Dougie Hamilton after establishing that Hughes and Hischier were #1 and #2 Cs. I'm very glad we got Dougie and not a Hanifin. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 6:47 PM, RizzMB30 said:

100% agree. Huge reason why Fitzy went looking for a Dougie Hamilton after establishing that Hughes and Hischier were #1 and #2 Cs. I'm very glad we got Dougie and not a Hanifin. 

In the first season with Hamilton we were 7-1-2 as I remember when Highes Hishier Bratt and Hamilton were healthy.  It worked well last season.

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I just realized Aarnie Talvitie went back to Finland. Not really a bust, was a long shot at a 6th round pick.

Yeah one of those guys who simply didn't do enough to stick around.  He'll be 25 this season.