Prospects thread 2023-2024

Guadana

Re:  Hatakka, he played in just 8 games last season (all in the AHL), and didn't play in that many games the prior season (only 50 total, including 9 with the big club).  Maybe injury-prone?  But yeah if anyone that came over with Timo ever turns into something, huge bonus...the Devils got a lot of extra warm bodies due to SJ having too many players under contract, so the Devils had to take some back.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Aren’t the Devils regarded as having one of the very best systems in the sport???

For now, but that will change soon, as players like Nemec graduate to the big club (this of course is to be expected, especially when you're no longer drafting in the Top 5).  We'll see in the years to come if they hit on whatever draft picks that they hang onto.  Holtz's stock is obviously down at the moment, but that can still change.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  Hatakka, he played in just 8 games last season (all in the AHL), and didn't play in that many games the prior season (only 50 total, including 9 with the big club).  Maybe injury-prone?  But yeah if anyone that came over with Timo ever turns into something, huge bonus...the Devils got a lot of extra warm bodies due to SJ having too many players under contract, so the Devils had to take some back.    

Yes, he had undergoing surgery to repair a fractured fibula.

20 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Aren’t the Devils regarded as having one of the very best systems in the sport???

Top 10 Devils prospects for now

1a 1b Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec.
Both are great defensive prospects with Norris potential. Luke is more rover, Simon is more two way playmaker.
3-4 Alex Holtz and Arseniy Gritsyuk.
Both are offensive first shooters with top-6 potential as complimentary scoring wingers. Holtz is better shooter and better playmaker, Gritsyuk is better skater.
5. Topias Vilen
Defensive defenseman with good mobility, hands and positional game. Has potentail/ceiling - defensive partner for more offensive oriented QB in any pair.
6. Zakhar Bardakov.
Forechecking center with great mobility, effort and positional game. Always in the game, under the skin and making the situation more danger. Has potential to be third line defensive center or complimentary middle-6 forecheckling winger. Lack of good shot limit his scoring potential.
7. Seamus Casey
Two way defenseman with good offensive tools. Has potential to be top-4 QB. Small size and his puck battle mechanics are the issues with his NHL potential.
8. Josh Filmon
Scoring complimentary winger. Spent the season on the level of Geekie and Savoie. Has middle-6 potential as complimentary scoring winger. Needs to work on physical aspect of the game and add muscles.
9-10. Nolan Foote and Tyce Thompson.
Both are having bottom line potential as complimentary scoring wingers. Foote is slow, but good as positional player, Thompson is a good skater but lack of good positional vision of the game.

HM. Orlov, Clarke, Edwards, Daws, Karpovich have visible potential to be nhlers. Hameenaho should work a lot on his skating to be nhler, but if he will, he is good enough to be exited about. Misyul is mobile and big defensive defenseman, but his game with the puck under pressure is an issue. It’s too early to talk about Leddy, Barabosha and Cheslock. It’s too dangerous to talk about Stillman.

I would say with Luke being NHLer soon, devils will not be the team with best prospect pool, sabres, coyotes, may be wild, may be ducks, may be Chicago(are we counting Bedard? He will play in NHL as Luke Hughes next season) have better prospect pools. We should start to formulate who is prospect and who is not for the beginning. Anyway Devils graduated a lot of NHLers, so it’s not a big problem, and even what we still have is a good amount of talent.

• Like 4

On 7/11/2023 at 11:06 AM, Guadana said:

Yes, he had undergoing surgery to repair a fractured fibula.

Top 10 Devils prospects for now

1a 1b Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec.
Both are great defensive prospects with Norris potential. Luke is more rover, Simon is more two way playmaker.
3-4 Alex Holtz and Arseniy Gritsyuk.
Both are offensive first shooters with top-6 potential as complimentary scoring wingers. Holtz is better shooter and better playmaker, Gritsyuk is better skater.
5. Topias Vilen
Defensive defenseman with good mobility, hands and positional game. Has potentail/ceiling - defensive partner for more offensive oriented QB in any pair.
6. Zakhar Bardakov.
Forechecking center with great mobility, effort and positional game. Always in the game, under the skin and making the situation more danger. Has potential to be third line defensive center or complimentary middle-6 forecheckling winger. Lack of good shot limit his scoring potential.
7. Seamus Casey
Two way defenseman with good offensive tools. Has potential to be top-4 QB. Small size and his puck battle mechanics are the issues with his NHL potential.
8. Josh Filmon
Scoring complimentary winger. Spent the season on the level of Geekie and Savoie. Has middle-6 potential as complimentary scoring winger. Needs to work on physical aspect of the game and add muscles.
9-10. Nolan Foote and Tyce Thompson.
Both are having bottom line potential as complimentary scoring wingers. Foote is slow, but good as positional player, Thompson is a good skater but lack of good positional vision of the game.

HM. Orlov, Clarke, Edwards, Daws, Karpovich have visible potential to be nhlers. Hameenaho should work a lot on his skating to be nhler, but if he will, he is good enough to be exited about. Misyul is mobile and big defensive defenseman, but his game with the puck under pressure is an issue. It’s too early to talk about Leddy, Barabosha and Cheslock. It’s too dangerous to talk about Stillman.

I would say with Luke being NHLer soon, devils will not be the team with best prospect pool, sabres, coyotes, may be wild, may be ducks, may be Chicago(are we counting Bedard? He will play in NHL as Luke Hughes next season) have better prospect pools. We should start to formulate who is prospect and who is not for the beginning. Anyway Devils graduated a lot of NHLers, so it’s not a big problem, and even what we still have is a good amount of talent.

Guadana, have you been able to form an opinion about Hatakka or Ibragimov? Our newcomers who have come over from San Jose?  I figured they were just other contracts/throwaways by SJ, but it looks like they are getting some looks in development camp. Ibragmov was seeing a lot of ice from my view here. 

Edited by RizzMB30

19 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

Guadana, have you been able to form an opinion about Hatakka or Ibragimov? Our newcomers who have come over from San Jose?  I figured they were just other contracts/throwaways by SJ, but it looks like they are getting some looks in development camp. Ibragmov was seeing a lot of ice from my view here. 

Ibragimov looks like a player with potential, tools etc but can`t figure it out and be consistent on the ice. I don`t think he will become nhler. Hatakka I don`t know. Not my type. With his positional game I don`t think he is nhler too. Not to good in own zone, not as flashy in offensive zone. I would trade both for Okhotiuk back. 

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 4

Anyone know status of Case McCarthy  or Patrick Moynahan?  Wonder if they'll attend the prospects challenge. Also, I see Dineen as head coach & Parent as asst.  Will there be another? Andy Greene?  Any other ex Devils that want to break into coach. I think Greener would be a fantastic coach for Defense prospects.

Wheeler is also still pretty high on Holtz

34. Alexander Holtz, 21, RW (New Jersey Devils — No. 7, 2020)

It has taken Holtz maybe a little longer to “make it” than I think fans expect out of a top-10 pick but I think we have to remind ourselves that this is still a player who played to a point per game in the AHL at 19 and 20, and I’m still confident he’s going to become a goal-scoring top-six winger. He’s got a coveted blend of skill, power and shooting which allows him to create his own looks and then finish off of them with a variety of release points and shot types (or play off of the puck from a playmaker and get open with his timing). He’s got a pro frame and strength (6 feet, 195 pounds) which allows him to play through bumps, win battles and get off the wall. But he’s also got underrated playmaking sense (I’ve often argued that his ability as a shooter is overstated and his ability in facilitation has been understated). While he still needs to get a little quicker, he has worked hard to lean out and play a little quicker to maximize those other natural tools. His small-area skill has improved. He has worked on his one-timer so that it can catch up to his powerful and accurate wrist shot release. He’s got a soft touch off of his forehand and backhand, and he’s a dual threat inside the offensive zone. I expect him to play full time in the fall and begin to realize his potential after another summer of training.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Lateralous said:

It has taken Holtz maybe a little longer to “make it” than I think fans expect out of a top-10 pick but I think we have to remind ourselves that this is still a player who played to a point per game in the AHL at 19 and 20, and I’m still confident he’s going to become a goal-scoring top-six winger. He’s got a coveted blend of skill, power and shooting which allows him to create his own looks and then finish off of them with a variety of release points and shot types (or play off of the puck from a playmaker and get open with his timing). He’s got a pro frame and strength (6 feet, 195 pounds) which allows him to play through bumps, win battles and get off the wall. But he’s also got underrated playmaking sense (I’ve often argued that his ability as a shooter is overstated and his ability in facilitation has been understated). While he still needs to get a little quicker, he has worked hard to lean out and play a little quicker to maximize those other natural tools. His small-area skill has improved. He has worked on his one-timer so that it can catch up to his powerful and accurate wrist shot release. He’s got a soft touch off of his forehand and backhand, and he’s a dual threat inside the offensive zone. I expect him to play full time in the fall and begin to realize his potential after another summer of training.

Wheeler is bad. Its close to copy paste what he did before.

I understand new toys syndrome, but Luke is more dynamic and interesting than Will Smith at least. 

23 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Holtz picked at 7, Zacha at 6, but let's give the boys chance.  He needs to show a lil more & pre-season is the time to shine. I really hope he shows he belongs. Unfortunately, we as fans expect scoring right off the bat. IMO Zacha is a well balanced player. He'll never be the scorer the draft hype painted him to be. I'm pulling for Holtz for sure. Maybe a permanent 3rd line RW.?

58 minutes ago, jagknife said:

too early to hope we can finally get a satan?

Heh heh yeah Devils gotta draft him.

12 hours ago, jagknife said:

Then we’ve had a very bad season and I’ll pretty angry lol

…or we make a really good trade and I’ll be thrilled haha

Holtz will light the league up, Fitz trading Toffolli and his 18 goals for unprotected first and Pens losing Crosby and Malkin because of injuries right after the trade. 
we will not have top-6 pick next year.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1