Prospects thread 2023-2024

Guadana

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Close, though I think he might become available as part of a package if Fitz ever decides to target a bigger-name goalie, should any become available (this of course would require some cap finagling).  

Yeah if he goes in any deal, it’s gotta be for a big fish. I’m not moving him for anything short of a mint.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Swayman? I’m not trading Casey for Jeremy Swayman. That’s not a needle-mover.

I feel the opposite.   I think I would have to do this.  Swayman is one of the best goalies in the league this year, is only 25 years old and is still an RFA at the end of the year.   That's kinda what we desperately need, isn't it?    

38 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

4 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I feel the opposite.   I think I would have to do this.  Swayman is one of the best goalies in the league this year, is only 25 years old and is still an RFA at the end of the year.   That's kinda what we desperately need, isn't it?    

I think it depends on how much you think Ullmark and Swayman are benefitting from great Boston coaching. I've seen mixed opinions.

12 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Is Swayman really this good though? I mean, he’s still behind Ulmark too isn’t he? I just haven’t seen enough.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Is Swayman really this good though? I mean, he’s still behind Ulmark too isn’t he? I just haven’t seen enough.

I haven't seen enough to truly know either but he looks pretty damn good to me and we are talking about giving up a prospect who is a bit undersized and has never played and NHL game in his life at a position of strength for the Devils.  Besides, for all we know we could be giving up the next Ty Smith, who looked pretty damn good in his D+2 year as well.   

Other than praying that Schmid consistently turns into the guy we saw in the Rangers series, there doesn't seem to be a lot of good options for addressing the goaltending long term.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

I think if they would do a one for one swap Casey for Swayman straight up? 

I think I take the chance on that every time. Or if we throw in Vanecek and Casey for Swayman I'd be okay with that too. It would be interesting to run the Boston Bruins simulation with Vitek in net. 

That's a Cory Schneider level blockbuster, but I think I'd give it a shot. I think Swayman's that good. It's acquiring a top 5 goalie in the league and he's getting a good split, but is basically the backup. Swayman would pair up well with Schmid or whoever the next youth goalie is because of his age too. 

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

It's probably moot for this season, as the Bruins seem to be inclined to keep both. In the off-season, however, it may make sense for the Bruins to deal one of them because Swayman is an RFA and Ullmark will have a season left on his deal. They are in an interesting situation. Anyway, that's wandering too far on this thread :D

• Like 1

That's a tough call. Casey is essentially undetermined, but extremely promising. Swayman has been lights out as a young goalie... but also while playing back up on a historically great team that also is featuring a recent Jack Adam's winner. Especially since the devils hit recent d prospect jackpots lately, you feel like you could part with one. But at the same time, elite dmen on entry level contracts are worth their weight in gold and then some...

I think I hold onto Casey, with notice to how lack luster the defense has been away from Luke, nemec, Miller, and usually marino.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

That's a tough call. Casey is essentially undetermined, but extremely promising. Swayman has been lights out as a young goalie... but also while playing back up on a historically great team that also is featuring a recent Jack Adam's winner. Especially since the devils hit recent d prospect jackpots lately, you feel like you could part with one. But at the same time, elite dmen on entry level contracts are worth their weight in gold and then some...

I think I hold onto Casey, with notice to how lack luster the defense has been away from Luke, nemec, Miller, and usually marino.

Casey is an elite skater -kinda like the 4th Hughes brother.  I don't know if he can be an NHL defenseman with his tiny size-he's played centre before. I think they should try him at RW as a replacement for Holtz who still hasn't improved his overall game much and I don't expect to be on the team next year.

11 minutes ago, Have Another Donut said:

Casey is an elite skater -kinda like the 4th Hughes brother.  I don't know if he can be an NHL defenseman with his tiny size-he's played centre before. I think they should try him at RW as a replacement for Holtz who still hasn't improved his overall game much and I don't expect to be on the team next year.

Casey is the same size as Quinn Hughes, and Holtz has absolutely improved his overall game this season. 

Do we really need another finesse D man?  Holtz has improved -but not much.  Who on the team is he better than?  They need more size, strength, toughness.  Still a weak skater. You can say the same about

Toffoli's skating  but he's tough, strong on the puck, wins puck battles, fights, smart etc etc-a real NHL player and a winner.

• Like 1

Just now, Have Another Donut said:

Do we really need another finesse D man?  Holtz has improved -but not much.  Who on the team is he better than?  They need more size, strength, toughness.  Still a weak skater. You can say the same about

Toffoli's skating  but he's tough, strong on the puck, wins puck battles, fights, smart etc etc-a real NHL player and a winner.

You can never have enough puck moving defensemen. The issue that might arise is if there’s a spot for him on the proper side, but he shouldn’t be written off just because he’s small.

The only players on the team with more 5v5 goals than Holtz are Jack and Toffoli. And that’s with him playing limited minutes on the bottom 6. To me his game without the puck has also improved big time. 

• Like 1

Because the physical demands of playing defense, (especially in the D zone) in the NHL against much larger/stronger men as opposed to Juniors/College players- may be not the best use of his talent.

He's played center before and he's capable of playing either  D or Forward.  It will interesting to see what they do with him.  I think he's going to be a very exciting player to watch.  

Missed the Czech game, but this Canada vs Sweden game is great. Sweden just got the first one in the 2nd period. 1-0 SWE with 15' something left in the period. 

Like the Havelid brothers on team Sweden. Mattias is a dman and I cannot remember the goalies first name. 

Edited by RizzMB30