2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

50 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

"The answer is was in the room"

Revisionist history.  

One guy finished 2nd in the Jack Adams award voting, led the franchise to their highest regular season point total ever and beat our biggest rival in the playoffs.  The other embarrassed the franchise after crashing his golf cart into multiple stop signs before getting arrested.   We were never switching from Ruff to AB last summer.   

23 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Revisionist history.  

One guy finished 2nd in the Jack Adams award voting, led the franchise to their highest regular season point total ever and beat our biggest rival in the playoffs.  The other embarrassed the franchise after crashing his golf cart into multiple stop signs before getting arrested.   We were never switching from Ruff to AB last summer.   

And this year Brunette will be a Jack Adams candidate, while Lindy has embarrassed the franchise by metaphorically crashing his golf cart into multiple stop signs; sadly, we’re still waiting on the arrest.

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

And this year Brunette will be a Jack Adams candidate, while Lindy has embarrassed the franchise by metaphorically crashing his golf cart into multiple stop signs; sadly, we’re still waiting on the arrest.

The last stop sign was actually Holtz wearing his home uniform.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

SharanGOALvich

Not lately.  He’s gone 11 games without one.

37 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Still has 20 on the season though. Only Bratt and the guy we traded him for have more on the Devils. 

Jack and Nico are right there, but obviously missing games due to injury has hurt (literally).

Nothing against Sharangovich, but when you come right down to it, the guy who came back in Toffoli who was supposed to be the more productive player has been.  And of course the situation was tricky, because Sharangovich was a RFA coming off a very disappointing year (after having gotten off of a nice start) and it felt like it was time for a change.

I’m not saying that you’re doing this, but I won’t look back on that deal and second-guess it.  It worked out the way it was intended to.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Jack and Nico are right there, but obviously missing games due to injury has hurt (literally).

Nothing against Sharangovich, but when you come right down to it, the guy who came back in Toffoli who was supposed to be the more productive player has been.  And of course the situation was tricky, because Sharangovich was a RFA coming off a very disappointing year (after having gotten off of a nice start) and it felt like it was time for a change.

I’m not saying that you’re doing this, but I won’t look back on that deal and second-guess it.  It worked out the way it was intended to.

Yeah, there's so many reasons to be down on the Devils this year, but this is one of those things where people are trying extra hard to make this just another things that we failed that, and it's simply not true at all. Toffoli has been the player that we wanted and expected. People hate that he's on the slower side, but no one ever mistook him for McDavid or Jack or Kyrou, or any player that has a great motor. 

The dude shoots often, and hard. Now, one thing I wish he'd do is hit the net more often, but the fact of the matter is when does hit the net, he scores quite a bit. Hard to be upset with that by any stretch. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't think there is anything to second guess.  If we ultimately end up turning Sharangovich into a 1st or 2nd round pick instead of paying a guy who no one was complaining about being healthy scratched last year 3.1 AAV for 3 years, that's a win.   Besides, it seems like half of his goals came in about a 10 day span which means he probably hasn't done much the rest of the year. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.  I don't think I've seen Calgary more than twice all season.     

As for Toffoli, it's not like he has just been tipping in Jack setups all year and is a product of the system.  He mostly creates his own scoring opportunities by getting to the right spot and then creating just enough room to unleash that drag shot he has.  Among other complaints with the team, I don't think he was properly slotted on the Devils this year but I do think he would be the perfect piece to add for a team looking for additional scoring for the playoffs.      

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

I don't think there is anything to second guess.  If we ultimately end up turning Sharangovich into a 1st or 2nd round pick instead of paying a guy who no one was complaining about being healthy scratched last year 3.1 AAV for 3 years, that's a win.   Besides, it seems like half of his goals came in about a 10 day span which means he probably hasn't done much the rest of the year. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.  I don't think I've seen Calgary more than twice all season.     

As for Toffoli, it's not like he has just been tipping in Jack setups all year and is a product of the system.  He mostly creates his own scoring opportunities by getting to the right spot and then creating just enough room to unleash that drag shot he has.  Among other complaints with the team, I don't think he was properly slotted on the Devils this year but I do think he would be the perfect piece to add for a team looking for additional scoring for the playoffs.      

He had 6 goals over 5 games, and then later 8 goals in 7 games this season.  Some nice feasting but lots of famine.  It’s kinda the same story with him…when he goes quiet, he REALLY goes quiet.

This isn't relevant to the NHL but I found this super cool of the PWHL:

Not sure about the playoff structure of top seed choosing opponent but the draft order process ("gold plan") would be awesome in the NHL, in my opinion. Instead of, what, 20 fanbases with vested interest in March (dwindling to 16-18 in April), you'd grow that to... 24? 25? More? Of course there will be a handful or so of "not enough good for playoff chasing but not bad enough for top pick chasing" teams but... that's better than today? It would also throw an interesting curveball to the trade deadline. I'd embrace the chaos.

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 3

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly. Is this meaning that once your team is eliminated from playoffs, your wins count towards your draft stock? So the best team that missed playoffs will get the best draft positioning? It's interesting but also a bit of a "wtf" way to go about nix teams trying to tank their seasons

5 minutes ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly. Is this meaning that once your team is eliminated from playoffs, your wins count towards your draft stock? So the best team that missed playoffs will get the best draft positioning? It's interesting but also a bit of a "wtf" way to go about nix teams trying to tank their seasons

Yeah, they're basically doing what my fantasy football league has always done for ~20 years: in a 12 team league, 6 make the playoffs, 6 make the "consolation bracket", and the winner of the consolation bracket gets 1st pick next year.  It's been our way of deterring people from "tanking", or, more likely, simply giving up once they realize they're not gonna make the playoffs.  Forces them to remain competitive and "earn" the pick. 

It's suites us well in a fantasy environment - not sure I love it for real life professional leagues. 

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 1