2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

30 minutes ago, smelly said:

FYI -- I have it on good authority that Fitz is def in on Markstrom.  Focus has primarily been on him, with some side talk about the D as well.  So far they haven't gotten close, not sure if they will.  But Fitz sees what we all see.

Don't bother posting that I am full of crap.  I'm sure some of you will conclude I am, and that's fine, but no need to pollute the thread throwing stones my way.  

If you don't want to believe me, that's your prerogative.  But this source is somebody who should know.

Who's going the other way? Mercer or Holtz !!!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

That makes zero sense from Calgary standpoint. Who the hell would play goal after that?

Wolf and Vladar presumably.

25 minutes ago, HughesCorporation said:

Who's going the other way? Mercer or Holtz !!!

I've heard nothing about Calgary's ask.

Markstrom has an .894 save% and a -19.2 GSAA over last season and this one so far.  He’ll also turn 34 in January. How exactly is he an improvement over what’s in house?  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Markstrom has an .894 save% and a -19.2 GSAA over last season and this one so far.  He’ll also turn 34 in January. How exactly is he an improvement over what’s in house?  

Ask Fitz. He’s the one reportedly looking at him. 

These numbers strongly suggest that whatever you think he’d absolutely be an improvement:

https://moneypuck.com/goalies.htm

Overall Markstrom ranked 22. 

AS 53

VV 72

As for High Danger Chances, Markstrom 26 while VV 73. 

Edited by smelly

Devils faced two huge problems (three) with old goalies. Crawford and Bernier(and Schneider). Bernier should be 1A 1B goalie and Devils literally were the same as they were in few games this season - good team with no goalies and injuries. 
I don’t think Fitz wants to deal with 33-34 yo goalie on a three years deal with injury history.

But will see.

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

Spoiler:   It’s not 

Regardless of whether you agree with pursuing him or not, a Markstrom/Smid tandem is unquestionably an improvement over a Smid/Vanacek tandem.

It’s not even debatable. 

In fact VV has been so bad that a M/S duo could pretty much suck and STILL be better. 

Edited by smelly

Can’t make a huge deal out of the Moneypuck list rankings when several of those goalies have played just five games or less.

Anyway, even if Fitz is now looking at goalies, don’t see him considering Markström.

And who is “Smid”?  

30 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Devils faced two huge problems (three) with old goalies. Crawford and Bernier(and Schneider). Bernier should be 1A 1B goalie and Devils literally were the same as they were in few games this season - good team with no goalies and injuries. 
I don’t think Fitz wants to deal with 33-34 yo goalie on a three years deal with injury history.

But will see.

Yeah, Fitz really wants to take on Markstrom’s $6 million cap hit for this year and the next two as well.  This ain’t happenin’.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, Fitz really wants to take on Markstrom’s $6 million cap hit for this year and the next two as well.  This ain’t happenin’.

May be he is okay with big retention. This isn’t what I’m waiting for. In reality I’m waiting for firing Rogalski. I like what Utica goalie coach did, young goalies did well there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Guadana said:

May be he is okay with big retention. This isn’t what I’m waiting for. In reality I’m waiting for firing Rogalski. I like what Utica goalie coach did, young goalies did well there.

Even with retention, Devils will be taking on Markstrom’s Age 33/34 through Age 35/36 seasons…and since the start of last season he has not been good.  I can’t see Fitz going this route at all.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Even with retention, Devils will be taking on Markstrom’s Age 33/34 through Age 35/36 seasons…and since the start of last season he has not been good.  I can’t see Fitz going this route at all.

Yeah, I’m not waiting for that. I see Lankinen, Allen and Vejmelka as good trade option. I don’t believe Devils will use good assets - they are contending team and their contending window needs in talents on ELC or cheap bridge deals. And like I said before - average goalies is enough material to win if you have strong team. No one will sell good young goalie, no one will sell good starter. Playoff teams wants to compete and don’t want to stay without good second goalie in important moment. Gibson is oldish, has history of injuries, is on the long deal. Marsktrom is old. I hope Fitz will not risk with them. Lankinen, Allen and Vejmelka wouldn’t be expensive but had decent results on bad teams. Vejmelka isn’t really good this year, but I think he, as Hill, will feeling himself better here. Overall he shouldn’t be expensive. 

If Detroit will start to fall, they will trade one of their goalie Lyon or Husso, interesting case is Toronto, who doesn’t believe in Samsonov now and will try to find other option for cheaper goalie and add some Forward too. 

Edited by Guadana

If Fitz is truly in on a goalie, I hope nothing happens until Schmid gets an opportunity to show he's the clearly better option between him and VV. Fitz has hinted at Schmid going down to Utica if they brought in another goalie. Hopefully Schmid makes it impossible for Fitz to make that move.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

Yeah, I would prefer to see how Schmid looks if he could ever get a run of games from Lindy.   

Yeah I consider this a fair first option.  I get the Devils trying to get VV righted based on the runs that he went on last season, but Schmid’s played well enough lately to earn a look.

“With goaltending, continue to work with Dave Rogalski on the things that are going to make you better. 

Vanecek echoed Ruff, stating that Rogalski has helped him a lot in his recent stretch."

Again...Rogalski has been here since the days of Hines and our goaltending has been mediocre at best ever since. What gives?

https://www.nj.com/devils/2023/11/devils-vitek-vanecek-takes-accountability-after-benching-i-have-to-give-more-help-to-my-teammates-thats-it.html%3foutputType=amp

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

There would obviously have to be retention. Assuming what my source says is true, don’t you think Fitz knows that?

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Can’t make a huge deal out of the Moneypuck list rankings when several of those goalies have played just five games or less.

Anyway, even if Fitz is now looking at goalies, don’t see him considering Markström.

And who is “Smid”?  

I think that you and the rest of the board are smart enough to weigh less heavily the goalies who haven’t really played much. 

That doesn’t mean the relative comparisons of the majority of the other goalies is somehow irrelevant or uninformative. 

7 hours ago, smelly said:

And I’m the one who picks fights and is obnoxious. Got it. 

Calling him Smid (why take out the “ch”?) when you’re willing to spell out Vanecek is a little weird.  I obviously know who you’re referring to, just not sure why you’re trying to make that nickname happen.

Re:  “your source” (I do feel that Markström is more your idea, and by claiming it’s from some source, you’re trying to give it more credibility), it’s not just the retention, it’s the fact that he’s got two more seasons coming to him after this one.  I’ve already listed what age-seasons Fitz would be signing up for…this would be a MAJOR departure from how Fitz has chosen to do business since coming here.

The funny thing is that even though Markström was bad last year and hasn’t been all that good this year, if he only had a year left on his deal, I could see Fitz possibly considering him as a short-term shakeup, depending on what he had to give up.  But not for three years.

As for the whole “picks fights” crap, ever notice that most people here don’t really want to engage with you all that much?  Why do you think that is?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Calling him Smid (why take out the “ch”?) when you’re willing to spell out Vanecek is a little weird.  I obviously know who you’re referring to, just not sure why you’re trying to make that nickname happen.

Re:  “your source” (I do feel that Markström is more your idea, and by claiming it’s from some source, you’re trying to give it more credibility), it’s not just the retention, it’s the fact that he’s got two more seasons coming to him after this one.  I’ve already listed what age-seasons Fitz would be signing up for…this would be a MAJOR departure from how Fitz has chosen to do business since coming here.

The funny thing is that even though Markström was bad last year and hasn’t been all that good this year, if he only had a year left on his deal, I could see Fitz possibly considering him as a short-term shakeup, depending on what he had to give up.  But not for three years.

As for the whole “picks fights” crap, ever notice that most people here don’t really want to engage with you all that much?  Why do you think that is?

My idea?  The only specific thing I have mentioned all season is taking a flyer on Halak.  Why would I need or want to make anything up?   A made-up rumor isn't going to prove me right or make me look good -- the Devils' performance in the crease has done that far more convincingly and concretely already. 

If you don't want to believe me, fine.  If you don't prefer Markstrom, fine as well. 

But don't conflate the two for personal reasons.

And not that I care whether anybody on a message board engages or not, I think the best explanation of that is that the most strident objectors to my months-long position regarding the Devils' goaltending have been proven to be utterly wrong.

Edited by smelly