2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

He also never wanted to take them, he only took a few and he would look like sh!t during it. Someone as good as him on breakaways in his career should have never been such a coward when it came to the shootouts. 

I never felt that way, as Jagr had clearly lost a step by the time he joined the Devils, although he was still effective.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2024 at 11:21 PM, ButlerBulldog said:

Lost in all the excitement over the Stadium Series this weekend was the fact that the Penguins retired Jaromir Jagr’s #68.  I’ve posted his greatest moment below 🤪.

I was at that game with 3 of my fraternity brothers. It was a great fvcking night. 

I heard the Chiclets guy call him a European Gordie Howe. Just look at how good he was moving for 42 or 43 year old. That second goal was sick and he really got going through the neutral zone.

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

I was at that game with 3 of my fraternity brothers. It was a great fvcking night. 

I heard the Chiclets guy call him a European Gordie Howe. Just look at how good he was moving for 42 or 43 year old. That second goal was sick and he really got going through the neutral zone.

It's a shame that he left the NHL for a while (the 2008-09 through 2010-11 seasons).  He really should've owned the all-time NHL regular season games played record, by a landslide.  He only finished 46 games behind Marleau, who only broke the record in the first place because the Sharks let him play a couple more seasons even though he had pretty much nothing left.  And of course Gordie Howe went to the WHL for a while...played 419 games there, on top of the 1767 he played in the NHL.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I never felt that way, as Jagr had clearly lost a step by the time he joined the Devils, although he was still effective.

I was elated when they signed him. I bought his jersey, one of my favorite players. Even with him being significantly slower than he once was, he was pretty impressive at puck protection. And it was fun seeing him casually chase a few league records wearing black and red

• Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Guessing maybe they don’t like what they’re seeing from Schmid in practice?

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Guessing maybe they don’t like what they’re seeing from Schmid in practice?

I guess. At this point it’s whatever. Fitz only knows how to send up and down. No real solutions.

And the stupid coach is still employed.

Nothing is gonna change this year. I really wish I’d run into Fitz on the concourse. I’d have a few things to say. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

For whatever it’s worth, Poulter earned that NHL contract with a .908 save percentage in Utica. Schmid apparently has been terrible down there, and Kallgren (remember him?) has been even worse. I guess it’s worth a shot but jeez it seems like Fitz just does not want to make a trade on this, or will hold off until the deadline when a team might be more desperate to unload a goalie 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

Or maybe they want him to get a start for Utica Friday before playing Sunday if Vitek isn't back? 

If Vanecek isn’t back anytime soon, I’d rather see Schmid in goal against Montreal than against Tampa Bay.  Of course, it probably doesn’t matter who’s in the crease if the defense is AWOL again.

10 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

If Vanecek isn’t back anytime soon, I’d rather see Schmid in goal against Montreal than against Tampa Bay.  Of course, it probably doesn’t matter who’s in the crease if the defense is AWOL again.

I agree but Utica only plays Friday/Sun so was the only thing that made any sense if Vitek isn't coming back. 

Or maybe they just say fvck it and start Poulter Saturday. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Or maybe they want him to get a start for Utica Friday before playing Sunday if Vitek isn't back? 

Yeah could be that too. 

51 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

The organization is clearly grasping at straws with respect to the goaltending situation.

I don't know. It's clearly a decision though. It's time to give other guys a look. 

We got lit up last night. Need to reset and maybe throwing Poulter in now is a good time. 

I'm surprised Schmid isn't even getting a look, but from an depth perspective, it's time it best tested a little bit. Remember Vegas went through like 4 or 6 on their run last year and they picked up Quick at the deadline who didn't play all that much for them. With Vanny hurt, maybe they feel it's time. You never know when you could be 2 or 3 goalies due to injury. I'd be excited to see Poulter. 

It's clear there's something to our goalie depth. Daws and Schmid are from our system. They've both had their moments I would say so far. Schmid I think will get there eventually. Still young. 

• Like 1

Skip ahead to about 1:50

Basically, if you ever saw an 80s movie called Legend (starring a very young Tom Cruise), an elf-like character screams "DO IT JACK!  KILL HIM!  KILL HIIIIIIIM!"

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Hard to read much into the pairings until we know if Marino will play or not. In Monday's practice (without Marino) Lindy was running pairings that were not at all used in the game last night:

Siegs-Nemec (40 seconds together)

Hughes-Miller (27 seconds together)

Bahl-Smith (0 seconds together)

I know I'm repeating myself from the GDT thread, but my hope is Marino can step back in tomorrow and we get these pairs:

Siegs-Nemec

Hughes-Marino

Bahl-Miller

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nmigliore said:

Hard to read much into the pairings until we know if Marino will play or not. In Monday's practice (without Marino) Lindy was running pairings that were not at all used in the game last night:

Siegs-Nemec (40 seconds together)

Hughes-Miller (27 seconds together)

Bahl-Smith (0 seconds together)

I know I'm repeating myself from the GDT thread, but my hope is Marino can step back in tomorrow and we get these pairs:

Siegs-Nemec

Hughes-Marino

Bahl-Miller

Siegs was playing better with Nemec for some reason or antoher. 

• Like 1

I'm so disgusted with this season and the team, moreso than I have been in recent years.  Undoubtedly because of the taste of the playoffs we got last year, this seems like a giant step backwards.  

Dougie is out, we lost McLeod, and Marino is sick, but on paper this team is still very good, to the extent that they should be a top 3 or top 5 team in the league.  Maybe not quite as dominant as the Bruins were last year with the best single season in history, but absolutely in the category of the Avs, Knights, Canucks, Panthers, Hurricanes, Rangers, etc. 

Morale is very low right now. I know I'm not alone. 

• Like 2