2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

Feel bad for Siegs having a concussion and hope he gets better, but with the way he's played this season, Hatakka is an upgrade.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Siegs were shut down for the remainder of the season even if he clears the concussion protocol before then.  The Devils have nothing to play for, and finding out whether Hatakka can be a depth piece next season seems a more important objective.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, nmigliore said:

I still prefer Markstrom most among the goalie targets; I know he's the oldest but if the difference is building a package around Holtz + for Markstrom versus Mercer + for Saros (or Ullmark), I'm taking the former. I know Mercer isn't having a great year, and he's not a possession driver, but since he entered the league in 2021 he ranks 2nd in five-on-five primary points (goals + primary assists) among forwards age-22 or younger (Jack is 1st, shocker). Markstrom also comes with a solid contract (2 more seasons at $6M AAV) whereas the other two only have 1 more season of control ($5M AAV apiece) and will require massive extensions that could become killers once the typical goalie voodoo happens.

The only thing that gives me pause about this is it's really tough to argue that Mercer is having a better season than Holtz right now. That's not to say Mercer isn't more valuable than Holtz, but more so that Holtz really should be evaluated properly before we decide to send him off at a time when his value is as low as it may ever be. For the record, I do still believe Mercer to be the better of the two right now.

I'm by no means a stats guy, but I was looking at some the other day, comparing these two. Mercer has slightly more defensive zone starts, but I think this disadvantage is far outweighed by Holtz's limited usage and his overall weak linemates. But what was interesting to me was when looking at shots/60, goals/60, assists/60, Corsi, Fenwick, and a few other metrics signifying offensive contribution - they all favored Holtz. Defensively, Mercer typically has the advantage, which tracks with the eye test.

The Devils made a big deal about adding an analytics department, but it certainly does not seem like it is being put to good use. I really would hate to see the Devils give up on a player who goes somewhere else to flourish.

2 hours ago, slasher72 said:

Saying our current guys have to get tougher is a pipe dream. They're a smallish group of players who avoid physicality at all costs. We need an accomplished fighter on this team.

Go back and watch Jack in the playoffs last year. He didn’t shy away from it all. Quite the opposite actually. 

1 hour ago, nessus said:

The only thing that gives me pause about this is it's really tough to argue that Mercer is having a better season than Holtz right now. That's not to say Mercer isn't more valuable than Holtz, but more so that Holtz really should be evaluated properly before we decide to send him off at a time when his value is as low as it may ever be. For the record, I do still believe Mercer to be the better of the two right now.

I'm by no means a stats guy, but I was looking at some the other day, comparing these two. Mercer has slightly more defensive zone starts, but I think this disadvantage is far outweighed by Holtz's limited usage and his overall weak linemates. But what was interesting to me was when looking at shots/60, goals/60, assists/60, Corsi, Fenwick, and a few other metrics signifying offensive contribution - they all favored Holtz. Defensively, Mercer typically has the advantage, which tracks with the eye test.

The Devils made a big deal about adding an analytics department, but it certainly does not seem like it is being put to good use. I really would hate to see the Devils give up on a player who goes somewhere else to flourish.

Mercer is having a bit of an off year but he's an NHL player.  He can skate, play a 200 ft game and has good hands.  Holtz has an NHL shot but the rest of his game is AHL level.  He's slow and soft, falls down a lot, loses his man, etc etc.  He's done ok this year mostly because as a 3rd and 4th liner he's playing against 3rd and 4th liners.  He's the kind of guy who can score 25 goals and be -30.  I doubt he'll be on the team next year.  Part of the general house cleaning that needs to happen.

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Go back and watch Jack in the playoffs last year. He didn’t shy away from it all. Quite the opposite actually. 

Slasher is right.  They need to add size, physicality, grit, compete.  They are soft/weak/easy to play against.  You don't want Jack to play too physical-it's not his game and he'll get injured again.  He needs at least one 6'3" 200 lb guy who can skate and has some offensive ability on his line-like Morgan Geekie who the Bruins snapped up for nothing.  

1 hour ago, Have Another Donut said:

Slasher is right.  They need to add size, physicality, grit, compete.  They are soft/weak/easy to play against.  You don't want Jack to play too physical-it's not his game and he'll get injured again.  He needs at least one 6'3" 200 lb guy who can skate and has some offensive ability on his line-like Morgan Geekie who the Bruins snapped up for nothing.  

Not really. At least not about the “avoiding physicality at all costs” part. I don’t see any true perimeter only type players on this team. Now - how effective they actually are at being physical, battling on the boards, etc is another matter. But the willingness is there, imo.

I also disagree that they are easy to play against. They certainly weren’t last year when they were 3rd in the league (with largely the same roster). The problem (besides the goaltending) is teams adjusted to their style this season, and Lindy had no counter. 

I just don’t think we can overstate enough how much coaching played into it. Not when I see other teams like the Oilers and Isles get straightened out after making their coaching changes. 

Add some size and grit, sure, but nothing matters more than nailing the next coaching hire, and finding a legit goalie. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Not really. At least not about the “avoiding physicality at all costs” part. I don’t see any true perimeter only type players on this team. Now - how effective they actually are at being physical, battling on the boards, etc is another matter. But the willingness is there, imo.

I also disagree that they are easy to play against. They certainly weren’t last year when they were 3rd in the league (with largely the same roster). The problem (besides the goaltending) is teams adjusted to their style this season, and Lindy had no counter. 

I just don’t think we can overstate enough how much coaching played into it. Not when I see other teams like the Oilers and Isles get straightened out after making their coaching changes. 

Add some size and grit, sure, but nothing matters more than nailing the next coaching hire, and finding a legit goalie. 

Sure, Jack got into it with Aho a bit after he'd had enough but he's not a physically intimidating player, and nor do I want him to be. I'm speaking about our entire defense and forwards like Bastian, Haula, etc. Against Carolina, we had no answer in terms of their physical game and against larger, more physical teams it was the same way. You mention the Islanders, that's a good example. Outside of MacDermid, who will likely be gone next year, we have no one to counter Matt Martin, Romanov, etc. Sure, a coach like Berube will be awesome if Fitz goes in that direction, but these current players aren't bruisers. Let's please not kid ourselves. Meier has a somewhat psychical edge to his game when he plays his natural position (Lindy could never figure that one out) but even he's not a player you have to look out for on the ice. He's not going to bodycheck anyone into next week, nor intimidate anyone with his fists. And that's what I'd like to see on this team. Especially with the Rangers now gooning it up for the foreseeable future with their Frankenstein monster, it's even more necessary.

That was my point.. our players by and large aren't a physical group. And they weren't drafted or acquired to be physical, which is fine. It is what it is.

I agree with your last paragraph. But I want more than just size or grit. I want a few mean SOB's that opposing teams absolutely have to account for. 

Edited by slasher72
  • Like 1

A smart coaching staff would have the top 4 offensive players (Hughes, Bratt, Meier and Hischier) on the top two lines, two each, not 3 on one line. PERIOD.

With Haula, Palat, Mercer and Holtz as the interchangeable parts.

But hey, what do I know. 

6 minutes ago, njbuff said:

A smart coaching staff would have the top 4 offensive players (Hughes, Bratt, Meier and Hischier) on the top two lines, two each, not 3 on one line. PERIOD.

With Haula, Palat, Mercer and Holtz as the interchangeable parts.

But hey, what do I know. 

And each center would be paired with the wing with whom he has the best chemistry, but that would make too much sense for this coaching staff.  There’s a reason why all of them—except Sarge, of course—deserve to be gone once the season is over.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

And each center would be paired with the wing with whom he has the best chemistry, but that would make too much sense for this coaching staff.  There’s a reason why all of them—except Sarge, of course—deserve to be gone once the season is over.

And I think that’s exactly how it plays out…Sergei will be the only one left standing.  And mentioned it before but I wonder if he’s eventually made the head coach in Utica, for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Still want one of these, but I’m sure the prices will get crazy. 

I’m guessing $2k for guys like Bastian.  Yeah will be VERY costly.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And I think that’s exactly how it plays out…Sergei will be the only one left standing.  And mentioned it before but I wonder if he’s eventually made the head coach in Utica, for obvious reasons.

I could see them just promoting Dineen, letting him pick his own staff and maybe Sergei goes and takes Dineen's job. 

Obviously, we had a lot of good chances the rest of the way but we couldn’t score enough goals to catch up for us not being ready to start”

Green said this post game yesterday but it could be copy-pasted from any other loss out there.

there is zero reason ANYONE behind the bench should survive this offseason.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

Obviously, we had a lot of good chances the rest of the way but we couldn’t score enough goals to catch up for us not being ready to start”

Green said this post game yesterday but it could be copy-pasted from any other loss out there.

there is zero reason ANYONE behind the bench should survive this offseason.

I think Brylin sticks because he’s seen as more of an organizational guy than just some dude on the coaching staff.

But yeah, soyonara to the rest.  All of em.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2