GDT: 11/16/2023 - Devils @ Penguins

RizzMB30

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I do not understand the Timo hate at all. Dude scores dirty goals, throws hits, annoys goalies, I don’t know what else people want. 

Basically everything this team lacked before he got here, right?   He's a perfect compliment to the guys we already had when we acquired him.   

While a GM like Dubas is out there trying to assemble as much skill as possible, Fitz is out there assembling a team.   

Honestly: Despite the frustrating lack of production, I look at the Palat signing in the same light.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

He’s always reminded me of Eeli Tolvanen in Seattle.  Great shot and racked up the points before getting to the NHL and then struggled to find his game or even get his shot off when he got to The Show.  

Hopefully, we get a similar player but unlike Tolvanen, Holtz figures it out without the “change of scenery” trade.  Last night was a nice step in that direction.   

Tolvanen was actually waived by Nashville. Oops 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Luke had himself a night. 

OK Lindy...I get it, this was just one game, Miller is settling in, etc...

But for the love of GOD do NOT try to make Smith happen at Miller's (and likely Luke's) expense.  Give Luke and Miller a batch of games together and see how it goes.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

OK Lindy...I get it, this was just one game, Miller is settling in, etc...

But for the love of GOD do NOT try to make Smith happen at Miller's (and likely Luke's) expense.  Give Luke and Miller a batch of games together and see how it goes.  

From the looks of that chart, Siegs and Dougie cratered pretty bad tonight and defense was pretty bad, but I thought Dougie made a few good plays here and there. He intercepted a pass and got it up the neutral zone quick and I think it turned into a goal. Felt they had a better game than that. 

It was truly a good game and I'm hoping the defense just keeps improving from here.

I was in section 117 where Devils attack twice and I heard the Holtzy yell. 

Pally had a great secondary assist on the Holtzy goal. Wins the puck battle and gets it up the boards to Mercer.  More of that please. I was so happy for Holtzy. Whole arena heard the Holtzy yell. 

Bratter was amazing all game. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, vincois said:

I'm guessing Tierney brings not much to the table? This performance/energy needs to bleed out tomorrow. Love seeing Holtz score& play with urgency. Miller pleasant addition. Hoping VV in net tomorrow. Schmido starting to scare me a little.  (he'll be a good goalie)  

Tierney was never going to do much. He looked like he might be a bottom 6 player back when he was in SJ but since he left years ago he's a bonafide AHL'er. He can fill in but you don't want to play him as much as we have already.

23 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Tierney was never going to do much. He looked like he might be a bottom 6 player back when he was in SJ but since he left years ago he's a bonafide AHL'er. He can fill in but you don't want to play him as much as we have already.

On the other hand, I really like Willman’s game as our injury fill-in guy. He’s seeing his chance to play and is seizing it.

And before his goal in his first game with us, I had no clue who he was or he was even a Devil. Whoops

1 hour ago, vincois said:

I'm guessing Tierney brings not much to the table? This performance/energy needs to bleed out tomorrow. Love seeing Holtz score& play with urgency. Miller pleasant addition. Hoping VV in net tomorrow. Schmido starting to scare me a little.  (he'll be a good goalie)  

Tierney was a cheap, pure depth signing, in case a hell of a lot went wrong.

And unfortunately that’s EXACTLY what happened.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jagknife said:

On the other hand, I really like Willman’s game as our injury fill-in guy. He’s seeing his chance to play and is seizing it.

And before his goal in his first game with us, I had no clue who he was or he was even a Devil. Whoops

Wasn't he a Philthy guy? I don't blame anyone for not knowing him.

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Basically everything this team lacked before he got here, right?   He's a perfect compliment to the guys we already had when we acquired him.   

While a GM like Dubas is out there trying to assemble as much skill as possible, Fitz is out there assembling a team.   

Honestly: Despite the frustrating lack of production, I look at the Palat signing in the same light.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Tierney was a cheap, pure depth signing, in case a hell of a lot went wrong.

And unfortunately that’s EXACTLY what happened.

It's not that Tierney is bad or problematic, he's just filling roster space at the end of the day. If you're in the lineup, ya gotta make some sort of impact but he was just kinda there. Should be Wilman time until either Nico and Timo are ready to come back.

11 minutes ago, Aznjsn said:

It's not that Tierney is bad or problematic, he's just filling roster space at the end of the day. If you're in the lineup, ya gotta make some sort of impact but he was just kinda there. Should be Wilman time until either Nico and Timo are ready to come back.

He's on a one-year, two-way $775k contract...he makes less per year than ELC players.  I have no illusions about what he is...he was never supposed to play as much as he has, even though he's only appeared in 8 games and averaged less than 8 minutes of ice time per game.  But we know what the circumstances were that led to him playing as much as he did.

Guessing if the Devils get healthy and can stay that way for a while, he'll wind up in Utica (he gets $400k there).  But yeah, Willman's pushed his way ahead of Tierney.

• Like 1