official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

2014-era Tom was just brutal. He had his Angles and Airwaves ultra-emo voice for every show. Was hard to listen to. 

I liked Skiba. And I thought California was their best album since self-titled in 2003. "Nine" just sucked, though, and blink would probably be dead if Tom didn't rejoin. The snippet of their single that they played at the end of that video sounds great, I'm excited. 

Fun blink-182 fact... I was working in Manhattan in 2016ish and got a phone call from "Spotify, Inc". Picked up and a woman said "you're one of Blink 182's top-50 listeners in manhattan! Do you want to go to a secret concert tonight?" and I said fvck off and hung up, because, you know, stupid ass scammers. Then I checked my email and from their official email domain sent me the same thing, so I quickly called back and apologized and said I'd be in. At 5pm they would text me a location, and at 6pm the show would start. I didn't have time to change or anything, so I show up to this bar in a tucked in polo and work slacks (I stuck out like a sore thumb lol.) Right at 6:00 they take all of our phones and bring us inside, and Mark/Tom/Matt take the stage and play a ~2 hour long private concert to literally fifty of us. It was incredible.  

They also debuted their new song "She's out of her mind", and used footage from the concert to film their music video. If you look hard enough at some of the clips, you'll see a loser in a blue polo with his hands up a couple times. One of the best nights of my life. 

Totally understand. One time I got to do the 23 Skidoo from work to go see the Glen Miller Orchestra. Probably kind of like the same thing for us grumpy old men. 

Maybe with blink 182 coming back on tour, the devils will also come back to the playoffs.  Last time blink was popular was late 90s early 2000s during our playoff streak, and also won some cups.. let's do that again.

Also let's have a pissed off uncle Steve go to town on making the mets better.  

11 hours ago, MB3 said:

blink 182 just reunited and they’re dropping a new studio album. Tom Delong is BACK.

almost anyone who’s in their early 30s just squealed in joy. 

Good sh!t. Saw Blink open a huge mud-riddled festival show up at Waterloo Village back in 2000- two days after we beat the Flyers in the ECF. One of the best concerts I’ve ever been to. Cool to see them reunited. 

The first time I saw Blink it was the 2011 Honda Civic tour at PNC Center when My Chemical Romance opened for them.  I saw them a few years later at the Wellmont Theater in Montclair, what a fvcking awesome show that was.

A few weeks ago at the My Chemical Romance reunion show at the rock; I said to my S/O "Man how crazy would it be if Blink came back to tour too?" 

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

Oh man...I must've caught Blink on a complete off-night.  I saw them a long time ago, in 2000, when they played PNC Bank (Green Day opened)...the exact opposite of what I expected wound up happening that night:  Green Day was extremely engaged and clearly connecting with the crowd, Blink seemed very disinterested and it felt like they couldn't wait to leave.  Wouldn't say I'm a huge fan (like mfitz alluded to, one guy does kinda sound Barney-ish, and the other is too Richie Cunningham), but I like some of their stuff.  

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh (like mfitz alluded to, one guy does kinda sound Barney-ish, and the other is too Richie Cunningham)

My daughter denied it when I said it, but then I told her to sing like that guy, and she did, then I told her to pretend Barney was reading the lyrics and do it without sounding like that guy, and she couldn’t. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh man...I must've caught Blink on a complete off-night.  I saw them a long time ago, in 2000, when they played PNC Bank (Green Day opened)...the exact opposite of what I expected wound up happening that night:  Green Day was extremely engaged and clearly connecting with the crowd, Blink seemed very disinterested and it felt like they couldn't wait to leave.  Wouldn't say I'm a huge fan (like mfitz alluded to, one guy does kinda sound Barney-ish, and the other is too Richie Cunningham), but I like some of their stuff.  

Must have been.  I saw the same tour, +- a night or two at Hershey Stadium and it was one of my best memories of a concert.  New Jersey's own Saves the Day opened for them; it was right around when Stay What You Are dropped with that song At Your Funeral.  They have some pretty happy sounding music accompanied by rather gruesome lyrics.

Anywho.. I tried to snag some Blink tickets with a Turnstile presale code this morning.  Ticketmaster has now adopted surge pricing so when my turn came up, floor tickets were $400.  Needless to say, I did not buy them.  TM can get fvcked.

Also I know I'm in the minority here but I'm not at all a fan of Blink, never liked his voice and the band just does nothing for me. I like Travis drumming in other stuff he does though. Happy for you guys who like them though. Seems like no bands truly ever stay retired unless they all die off. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

On 10/11/2022 at 12:19 PM, mfitz804 said:

I’m not that much older than you. I am kind of grumpy. It’s still fake punk lol. 

If you really think about it, much of what came later really was fake punk.  The Ramones and Sex Pistols could barely even play instruments...the Ramones tried to be a cover band at first but weren't good enough to play anything, so they came up with stuff that they could actually play.  When they tried out at CBGB's in the early 70s, the owner didn't even know what to make of them, but hired them anyway.  

Later "punk" bands were actually much more talented musically and were more following a genre and a look that had already been established long before.

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Right in the feels…

Christoper Lloyd was actually just at my local Comic-Con a few weeks ago, but I didn’t get in his line. I chose Richard Dreyfus instead (Jaws is one of my all time favorite movies). He’s…an interesting guy. I’ll leave it at that lol. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

What’s more “Yankees fan” than setting the new “legit” home run record and then getting booed in the playoffs because you’re 0-7? 

https://nypost.com/2022/10/14/aaron-judge-hearing-boos-as-dreadful-alds-start-continues/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

Really isn't limited to the yankees... mets fans booed max after a bad start.  I love NY fans, best fans around (100% bias at play, not sorry).  

Running the city marathon was by far the best experience mainly because of the millions of New Yorkers who came out to watch, and cheer.  Most had their name on their shirt and we'd get personal chants as well.  It was super loud from start to finish and 100% amazing to be in.  Only New Yorkers could do this, make it seem like a 26.2 mile block party.

7 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

Really isn't limited to the yankees... mets fans booed max after a bad start.  I love NY fans, best fans around (100% bias at play, not sorry).  

Running the city marathon was by far the best experience mainly because of the millions of New Yorkers who came out to watch, and cheer.  Most had their name on their shirt and we'd get personal chants as well.  It was super loud from start to finish and 100% amazing to be in.  Only New Yorkers could do this, make it seem like a 26.2 mile block party.

I would says it's a safe bet that it's mainly tourists watching the marathon, anyone I know complains about how it shuts down roads and creates more traffic and wants nothing to do with it lol 

37 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

friend gave it to me. from oak ridge. place is called smoke ridge.  they "gift" weed. some loophole. 

I grew up in Oak Ridge; the fact there is a weed place called ‘Smoke Ridge’ there now absolutely warms the cockles of my heart 🤣

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pumpkin cutter said:

friend gave it to me. from oak ridge. place is called smoke ridge.  they "gift" weed. some loophole. 

I've heard of that lol I guess they don't have a recreational license yet, so they probably sell a box of regular old cookies for $200 and then "gift" you weed for "free".