Weekes Suggesting Something Happening With Markstrom

smelly

Cryptic tweet at 11:37 am -- no specific team mentioned.

IF it is anything involving Devils (and at this point that's still a big if), I think that given Calgary's pending FAs any deal would have to start with Casey.

Screenshot2024-01-12at12_26_07PM.thumb.png.68ab1b569fa448abaf68b72131f09c04.png

Edited by smelly

39 minutes ago, vincois said:

Markstrom is having an OK year so far. But 6 mil for next 3 years? a NMC. He was MIA last year.  No? A change of scenery might help, but doesn't look like a Fitz kinda move. A couple salaries will have to go.

As I posted earlier this season, I was told that Fitz was in on Markstrom. Nothing has happened yet, so clearly some combination of ask, remaining term, and potential retention has prevented any deal to date. 

I also think that he could be moving to CAR - I’d be surprised if he went to TOR given their cap situation   

we will see  

Edited by smelly

42 minutes ago, smelly said:

Cryptic tweet at 11:37 am -- no specific team mentioned.

IF it is anything involving Devils (and at this point that's still a big if), I think that given Calgary's pending FAs any deal would have to start with Casey.

Screenshot2024-01-12at12_26_07PM.thumb.png.68ab1b569fa448abaf68b72131f09c04.png

The Devils are going to give up a top prospect for a soon to be 34 year old average goalie.

Fitz would be ALL TIME dumb to do that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The Devils are going to give up a top prospect for a soon to be 34 year old average goalie.

Fitz would be ALL TIME dumb to do that.

In this market, the going rate is an overpayment. 
i don’t want to give up Casey.  But I’m thinking that an established starter is going to cost something comparable if Fitz makes a deal. 

I would love to be wrong. 

Edited by smelly

12 minutes ago, smelly said:

In this market, the going rate is an overpayment. 
i don’t want to give up Casey.  But I’m thinking that an established starter is going to cost something comparable if Fitz makes a deal. 

I would love to be wrong. 

I’m not trading Casey for Markstrom. I’ll punt on this season before I’d do that. Markstrom has too much term. 

• Like 1

Markstrom has been red-hot as of late, but that's a small sample...currently he's an improvement over what VV's provided in 2023-24, but I'm VEEEEEERY leery of overpaying wildly for him.

Calgary has to take back VV in any deal, to even attempt to make the money work.

If Fitz feels this desperate, crazy as it many sound, I'd rather see him give up a first-rounder, than Casey.  But we'll see if this actually happens.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t really appreciate this cryptic sh!t from Weekes. If you have something to report, report it.

And who is that? Merzlikens?

Yeah it’s Elvis.

My logic brain said a they just swap, the money is comparable, both need changes in scenery 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Markstrom has been red-hot as of late, but that's a small sample...currently he's an improvement over what VV's provided in 2023-24, but I'm VEEEEEERY leery of overpaying wildly for him.

Calgary has to take back VV in any deal, to even attempt to make the money work.

If Fitz feels this desperate, crazy as it many sound, I'd rather see him give up a first-rounder, than Casey.  But we'll see if this actually happens.  

I'm fine with that.  And I'd love it if CAL would accept that (in a world where Fitz has decided Markstrom is the guy).  I am skeptical though that Conroy is taking a deal (with anyone, not just NJ) that is built around futures (especially if that first rounder is in 2025, which is all that the Devs could move now due to the Timo deal).

So many obstacles to getting even a semi-permanent fix.  Regardless, AS should be en route to FLA already, and it's a sin that he apparently isn't.

EDIT -- I guess the deal could be structured so that 2024 first goes to CAL if it doesn't go to SJ, CAL gets 2025 first if it does.  No idea if that would matter.  Also, maybe NMC works in favor of any acquiring team by depressing return.  Who knows.

Edited by smelly

2 minutes ago, smelly said:

I'm fine with that.  And I'd love it if CAL would accept that (in a world where Fitz has decided Markstrom is the guy).  I am skeptical though that Conroy is taking a deal (with anyone, not just NJ) that is built around futures (especially if that first rounder is in 2025, which is all that the Devs could move now due to the Timo deal).

So many obstacles to getting even a semi-permanent fix.  Regardless, AS should be en route to FLA already, and it's a sin that he apparently isn't.

For what it’s worth, the Devils would need to make it to the ECF for them to give up their first. I don’t think that’s happening this year, Markstrom or not. But you’re right if they want to trade this year’s first, it will have to be conditional, and include 2025’s pick if they make it to the ECF.

It would be insane to give up Casey for Markstrom though. We better hope that isn’t the case. 

1 hour ago, vincois said:

Markstrom is having an OK year so far. But 6 mil for next 3 years? a NMC. He was MIA last year.  No? A change of scenery might help, but doesn't look like a Fitz kinda move. A couple salaries will have to go.

He has been red hot of late., as has Calgary. This would be Calgary selling high. So I don’t imagine the asking price being anything but hefty. Would love him here though, especially if he came with Tanev or Hanifin.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Markstrom is 12-11-0-2 this year with a .910 Sv %. About to turn 34 and signed for a couple more years? Yeah, no thanks.  This doesn't help us really in any way. Not long term, and not even short term.

I don’t see how it wouldn’t. It might not be ideal contract-wise, and we might not like what we have to give up to get him, but it would certainly help the team in a big way. They’d have a true #1 goalie for the next 2.5 seasons. 

Edited by Nicomo

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t see how it wouldn’t. It might not be ideal contract-wise, and we might not like what we have to give up to get him, but it would certainly help the team in a big way. They’d have a true #1 goalie for the next 2.5 seasons. 

I just cringe at the contract. And Markstrom hasn’t been very good. I know he’s played better recently, but I’m not really psyched about paying this dude $18 million over the next three years, and giving up Seamus Casey for the privilege to do so. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I don't see him as a true #1. I don't think he's been a true #1 at any point in his career.  The first four years of his career he was a backup in Florida, then when he was traded to Vancouver he was a backup for 2 years before becoming the starter, but the only reason he was the starter was because they really didn't have anything else. 

It's been the same thing in Calgary. He's their "starter", but consider who he's up against..... Dustin Wolf, Daniel Vladar, Louis Domingue (😂). And on the Canucks it was no better... an aging Ryan Miller and Anderss Nillson. Then Demko came along and it was clear he was their future, so they shipped Markstrom out. 

To me, he's really no different than what we've had for the last 10 years. A bunch of average goalies who, at times are serviceable and can be considered a "starter", but it's not really because of their play, it's because there's just no better option. 

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I just cringe at the contract. And Markstrom hasn’t been very good. I know he’s played better recently, but I’m not really psyched about paying this dude $18 million over the next three years, and giving up Seamus Casey for the privilege to do so. 

Calgary would have to eat some money AND they are not getting Casey.  But given how rough of a time VV is having (and not showing any signs of snapping out of this), I’m open to the idea of Markstrom.  Not overjoyed about it but open to it.

• Like 1