Hockey Canada investigation -Mcleod charged with 2 counts

RunninWithTheDevil

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For anyone here (me included, as I posted a similar sentiment) discussing "How could like these people act like everything's fine?" and "I would feel so guilt-ridden and shameful", I know that NO ONE here would ever put someone in such a horrible position in the first place.

I think there's a lapse of judgement, especially when you're young and in that situation.   It doesn't excuse it, there are consequences to be had that will be life altering.

But I think these guys, if proven guilty, likely disassociate from it and spin it differently in their heads.   They aren't "horrible" people in their own perspective, but each of have done sh!tty things in our past, but most do not cross the line of criminality because of it.

6 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Hoo boy, if you thought seeing people wearing Kovy jerseys at the game was awkward...

Not gonna wear my Ryan Carter one for a bit, that’s for sure. (Granted I’m not up there very often)

EDIT: for the fact people will see 20 and probably not look at the name

Edited by jagknife

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

See my comment above yours, but I would not expect to hear about contract terminations or anything like that at least right away. Context aside, being charged does not mean guilty. With the context, however, yea... Full stop not looking good at all for the players.

No, being charged does not mean guilty but it's probably enough to revoke the privilege of playing hockey for a living away from them.  I agree about termination, they will probably just be on personal leave without pay for the foreseeable future.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

Wore #20 and people don’t always look at names before the number

Oh gotcha 

Just now, Lateralous said:

No, being charged does not mean guilty but it's probably enough to revoke the privilege of playing hockey for a living away from them.  I agree about termination, they will probably just be on personal leave without pay for the foreseeable future.    

Yeah I doubt contracts are terminated until a verdict is rendered. 

Such a black mark on the organization.  You can -- and IMO should -- question resigning McLeod under such an apparently-well understood cloud, but at least he was part of the organization from the jump before (as far as I am aware) this all initially became public.

But how the hell could you sign Foote this offseason?  Yes, I know that there were reports suggesting (but not confirming) that he was in the clear, but that just seems like an utterly horrible, indefensible decision.

Edited by smelly
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Jesus Christ, just what this team needs right now. 

Yeah it sucks big-time in every possible way, but was also something we all knew could very well happen, since before last season.  I still remember the very tepid response McLeod received at last season's home opener intro.  

One thing's for sure:  given how long this investigation dragged on, they better have gotten the names right.  No reason for anyone to be falsely accused at this point.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I get that this sh!t is way more important than what it does to the Devils roster in January 2024 but fvck the London Police and Hockey Canada for not handling this years ago.    

They should face some tough questions too...as to why it took THIS fvckING LONG?!  From 2018 to NOW?!  That is not acceptable in any way.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I get that this sh!t is way more important than what it does to the Devils roster in January 2024 but fvck the London Police and Hockey Canada for not handling this years ago.    

If you want charges to stick and you want to put the case in the best position for the desired outcome it takes time. I am not privy to Canadian law but I assume the standard there is also "beyond a reasonable doubt" and imagine they made sure they got this right before they made the call. Prosecutors plea down so damn often it seems.

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If you want charges to stick and you want to put the case in the best position for the desired outcome it takes time. I am not privy to Canadian law but I assume the standard there is also "beyond a reasonable doubt" and imagine they made sure they got this right before they made the call. Prosecutors plea down so damn often it seems.

I'm referring to the fact that they shut down the investigation for years and only restarted it under intense pressure after the Hockey Canada slush fund scandal.   This wasn't 5 years of searching for the truth.  I'll try to find it but I believe they made a statement years ago that they had enough evidence to charge at least 5 players.     

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

I'm referring to the fact that they shut down the investigation for years and only restarted it under intense pressure after the Hockey Canada slush fund scandal.   This wasn't 5 years of searching for the truth.  I'll try to find it but I believe they made a statement years ago that they had enough evidence to charge at least 5 players.     

Forgot about that. People should lose their jobs and be investigated for that too.

• Like 3

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Forgot about that. People should lose their jobs and be investigated for that too.

Dude, the registration fees that parents paid for their kids to play were being put into that fvcking slush fund. When I heard that it made me sick to my stomach. 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Dude, the registration fees that parents paid for their kids to play were being put into that fvcking slush fund. When I heard that it made me sick to my stomach. 

You're both right. I knew that at one time. The fact I forgot about it is probably correlated with how long this took. I am sure I'm not the only one in need of a refresher.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hystyk28 said:

They must have some new evidence, or a plea is coming.  This article while dated, has some good info in it.  

Canadian world junior player asked woman whether she had gone to police after alleged sexual assault - The Globe and Mail

I read that before, and read it again just now, it makes me cringe and reminds me how much I need to be a good parent to my boys when they get older so the know this type of sh!t is 100% unacceptable.

None of this “if I raise them right.” It’s straight up don’t ever fvcking disrespect someone and use this as an example

• Like 1