Hockey Canada investigation -Mcleod charged with 2 counts

RunninWithTheDevil

As was mentioned above, I am astounded that these guys could just go on with everything as normal for so long. 

I know that if I had had been involved in anything remotely similar I would have been crippled by anxiety and shame. 

• Like 5

Just now, smelly said:

As was mentioned above, I am astounded that these guys could just go on with everything as normal for so long. 

I know that if I had had been involved in anything remotely similar I would have been crippled by anxiety and shame. 

I was just thinking about that; how do you carry on like everything is normal? I wouldn’t be able to live with myself. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, smelly said:

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I was just thinking about that; how do you carry on like everything is normal? I wouldn’t be able to live with myself. 

Being told they’re amazing at a game helps free up guilt. Millions probably helps.

Now comes the “who the hell knew in our organization they were being investigated” questions, too

but I agree with you both. I’d be guilt ridden

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

Right, so do we hold Fitz accountable for saying “yeah we have a feeling but still need you”?

I’m at a loss for words.

I think it was more ‘you’re innocent until proven guilty, and we’ll proceed that way, but we can’t give you a long term commitment’. I have no idea. I’m playing devils advocate (no pun intended). 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

Just now, jagknife said:

Right, so do we hold Fitz accountable for saying “yeah we have a feeling but still need you”?

I’m at a loss for words.

I’d assume Fitz was operating under “innocent until proven guilty” since it was still being investigated, but now that charges are being handed out it’s time to cut them loose. 

As for how the players could go on playing with this on their mind, I have no idea. Although I think the sometimes awful hockey culture probably helped them a bit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

I’m at a loss for words.

Yup. 

Andy Strickland also just tweeted that Philly was desperately trying to move Hart last summer knowing this was coming. 

Lots of questions coming for a lot of people. 

• Angry 2

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think it was more ‘you’re innocent until proven guilty, and we’ll proceed that way, but we can’t give you a long term commitment’. I have no idea. I’m playing devils advocate (no pun intended). 

Good way to look at it, honestly.

Just now, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Watch the stadium series jerseys get released tomorrow to act as another distraction.

NHL doing everything they can, from Utah to some performer. What the a joke.

• Like 2

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’d assume Fitz was operating under “innocent until proven guilty” since it was still being investigated, but now that charges are being handed out it’s time to cut them loose. 

As for how the players could go on playing with this on their mind, I have no idea. Although I think the sometimes awful hockey culture probably helped them a bit. 

Agree. Corey Perry got cashiered for less (his reemergence notwithstanding).

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

To be fair, and am also just playing Devils advocate with no pun intended, we still don't know fully. It is extremely likely they'll all be charged given this news but being charged is also not an indication of guilt... Yet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Agreed.   I'm not sure what else he could do.   I guess Fitz could have just let him walk as a RFA last summer in principal but then he would have had to come out and say that's the reason which would have a whole other set of issues.   Everyone in the league knew there was an ongoing investigation, so trying to trade him probably wasn't an option either (See Hart, Carter) 

Now that the London police have finalllllllllllly done their job, it's the appropriate time to part ways.     

• Like 1

Yea, I don't blame Fitz for not cutting guys who haven't even been charged.   You are innocent until proven guilty, and you're especially given the benefit of innocence when you aren't even charged.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

Now that the London police have finalllllllllllly done their job, it's the appropriate time to part ways.     

See my comment above yours, but I would not expect to hear about contract terminations or anything like that at least right away. Context aside, being charged does not mean guilty. With the context, however, yea... Full stop not looking good at all for the players.

For anyone here (me included, as I posted a similar sentiment) discussing "How could like these people act like everything's fine?" and "I would feel so guilt-ridden and shameful", I know that NO ONE here would ever put someone in such a horrible position in the first place.  Because even when we're sparring with each other over all matters Devils, I believe we're all decent fvcking human beings here.

And yeah, tough questions will be asked of the franchises who employed these guys, but I'm sure discussions were had.  Let's face it...if these players are guilty of the actions of which they've been accused, I'm sure lying about it all will come pretty easily to them.  But yeah, once that's proven to be case, that they committed these horrible acts and were plenty comfortable both living with them AND not being remotely truthful about any of it...you cut them and never ever let them set foot in your door again.  No second chances.

• Like 2