GDT: Kings @ Devils - 7PM, 2/15

ButlerBulldog

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

He’s proud of it, he was an attention whore in the lounge, for all the wrong reasons. I ended up yelling pedo when I walked past him leaving the arena 

Good lol, some dudes are just sick in the head and he’s got an attention needy complex besides

11 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Daws has the hot hand. Ride it. 

Yeah right until the Markstrom trade becomes official lol

Sounds like a deal is closer, I’m prepared not to like this deal even though Fitz usually does well enough in trades.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Sounds like a deal is closer, I’m prepared not to like this deal even though Fitz usually does well enough in trades.

He does but my bigger concern is that we’re quickly becoming a much older and cash strapped team (relative to cap space) with less and less young assets by the trade.   While I don’t dislike any of the moves in a vacuum, the Haula, Meier, Toffoli, and presumed Markstrom trade plus Palat signing, really has us adding a lot of guys who, Meier aside, probably don’t have that many more prime years beyond the next 2 or 3.  That doesn’t make sense to me when we have Luke and Nemec just starting their careers and Jack in his early 20s.   

If we’re talking packages with Mercer or Holtz + 1st, I would rather take my chances on what a guy like Askarov could become for the next decade.   

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

To address a bunch of your posts:

re:  Jack, if you can get on him for anything, no matter pissed you are about a non-call, can't throw your broken stick back on the ice (as @ButlerBulldog pointed out).  He could've gotten a penalty there and was lucky not to.

Overall he just seems like an odd choice for you to single out, as he's hardly some major problem, and as we've seen, he's done some plenty good things since coming back.

I also still think you have a habit of equating results with effort...when the team loses, they didn't show up.  I saw a team that had some trouble solving what the Kings were throwing at them (particularly in the first), but I didn't see a team full of "no shows".   

re:  Mercer, he's become a very interesting case.  I think this year has now become iffy enough that I don't think it's in the best interest of his agent nor Fitz to give him some big-time extension.  Maybe two years around $3.5 - 4 million AAV.  Fair to remember that Mercer is only 22 years old, and won't turn 23 until the start of next season.  Take a look at Bratt's Age 19 - 22 seasons...it was his Age 23 season that saw him take a big step forward.  Nico set his then-career high of 60 points (in only 71 games) during his Age 23/24 season, and has built off that since.  Mercer has definitely been inconsistent offensively so far for his early career, but even with that, so far he's averaging about 22 G and 25 A per 82 GP (and he's durable to boot).  I'm willing to bet that those numbers won't be his top end going forward...I'd be careful about writing him off when it comes to being a part of the core going forward.  I am willing to consider dealing him for a goalie like Saros, but if possible I'd still like to give him more time to develop here.

re:  Markstrom, yeah, if this actually happens, I can't see myself being thrilled with it.  For one, I probably won't like what's going back the other way.  For another, the Devils will basically be locking themselves into Markstrom for the next two seasons...would suck if someone better became available, and also, heaven forbid this guy suddenly declines.  Not to mention that it's not like he's some battle-tested playoff vet who's won a Cup or two...he's played in a whopping two postseasons, with all of 26 playoff games under his belt.  He also just doesn't feel like the right guy at the right time.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

re:  Jack, if you can get on him for anything, no matter pissed you are about a non-call, can't throw your broken stick back on the ice (as @ButlerBulldog pointed out).  He could've gotten a penalty there and was lucky not to.

Overall he just seems like an odd choice for you to single out, as he's hardly some major problem, and as we've seen, he's done some plenty good things since coming back.

I also still think you have a habit of equating results with effort...when the team loses, they didn't show up.  I saw a team that had some trouble solving what the Kings were throwing at them (particularly in the first), but I didn't see a team full of "no shows".   

re:  Mercer, he's become a very interesting case.  I think this year has now become iffy enough that I don't think it's in the best interest of his agent nor Fitz to give him some big-time extension.  Maybe two years around $3.5 - 4 million AAV.  Fair to remember that Mercer is only 22 years old, and won't turn 23 until the start of next season.  Take a look at Bratt's Age 19 - 22 seasons...it was his Age 23 season that saw him take a big step forward.  Nico set his then-career high of 60 points (in only 71 games) during his Age 23/24 season, and has built off that since.  Mercer has definitely been inconsistent offensively so far for his early career, but even with that, so far he's averaging about 22 G and 25 A per 82 GP (and he's durable to boot).  I'm willing to bet that those numbers won't be his top end going forward...I'd be careful about writing him off when it comes to being a part of the core going forward.  I am willing to consider dealing him for a goalie like Saros, but if possible I'd still like to give him more time to develop here.

re:  Markstrom, yeah, if this actually happens, I can't see myself being thrilled with it.  For one, I probably won't like what's going back the other way.  For another, the Devils will basically be locking themselves into Markstrom for the next two seasons...would suck if someone better became available, and also, heaven forbid this guy suddenly declines.  Not to mention that it's not like he's some battle-tested playoff vet who's won a Cup or two...he's played in a whopping two postseasons, with all of 26 playoff games under his belt.  He also just doesn't feel like the right guy at the right time.  

I'm hoping this is just a way to start a bidding war between Nashville and Calgary to bring the price tags down on their respective goalie. For the same reason Elvis is being floated too.

• Like 2

Frustrating game to watch but credit to the Kings, I guess, for parking the bus figuring out a way to completely shut the Devils down, especially at even strength. You knew they would come out with a better defensive effort after getting shellacked for 7 against Buffalo the other night. Daws was incredible last night, sad it went to waste. Beat the Flyers on Saturday, preferably in regulation, and I think most of us will be pretty happy with the results in what was a critical week. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Frustrating game to watch but credit to the Kings, I guess, for parking the bus figuring out a way to completely shut the Devils down, especially at even strength. You knew they would come out with a better defensive effort after getting shellacked for 7 against Buffalo the other night. Daws was incredible last night, sad it went to waste. Beat the Flyers on Saturday, preferably in regulation, and I think most of us will be pretty happy with the results in what was a critical week. 

Agree with this, but the Devils can’t follow up a win against the Flyers with a loss against the Caps.  The Devils really gotta win the next two. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lateralous said:

He does but my bigger concern is that we’re quickly becoming a much older and cash strapped team (relative to cap space) with less and less young assets by the trade.   While I don’t dislike any of the moves in a vacuum, the Haula, Meier, Toffoli, and presumed Markstrom trade plus Palat signing, really has us adding a lot of guys who, Meier aside, probably don’t have that many more prime years beyond the next 2 or 3.  That doesn’t make sense to me when we have Luke and Nemec just starting their careers and Jack in his early 20s.   

If we’re talking packages with Mercer or Holtz + 1st, I would rather take my chances on what a guy like Askarov could become for the next decade.   

You pointed out, Luke and Nemec are just starting their careers. There was a graphic on the screen a game or two ago that said we have the youngest defensive group in the entire league by average age. 

What do you want, a team full of nothing but 23-year-olds? You have to have a good mix of veterans and young guys, and I think we have that. 

• Like 1

The recency bias I am feeling after Daws puts up an incredibly solid performance and the team crashed and burned anyway makes me feel a way about trading for a goalie this season...especially if Calgary is trying to play hard ball. Last year the team had "it" whatever "it" is and this year they just don't. I am obviously ye of little faith at the moment but just don't feel the need to overpay to try and salvage a season that is already practically submerged.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

What do you want, a team full of nothing but 23-year-olds?  

Huh?   That’s not what I’m saying at all.  I don’t have a problem with the current mix of veterans and young guys.  What I’m saying is we’re blowing through the younger assets pretty quickly and I don’t want to be the Toronto Maple Leafs in 4-5 years where there’s nothing on ELCs or in the system and it’s just 5 guys doing everything surround by crap.  Jack, Luke, Nemec, Bratt and Hischier are all going to be together in the dead of their prime in the 2-6 year range.   

Markstrom with 2 years left on his deal for Holtz and a first is the kind of the opposite of where we I think we should be going after spending all those other assets and cap space on the current group of vets.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

Huh?   That’s not what I’m saying at all.  I don’t have a problem with the current mix of veterans and young guys.  What I’m saying is we’re blowing through the younger assets pretty quickly and I don’t want to be the Toronto Maple Leafs in 4-5 years where there’s nothing on ELCs or in the system and it’s just 5 guys doing everything surround by crap.  Jack, Luke, Nemec, Bratt and Hischier are all going to be together in the dead of their prime in the 2-6 year range.   

Markstrom with 2 years left on his deal for Holtz and a first is the kind of the opposite of where we I think we should be going after spending all those other assets and cap space on the current group of vets.  

Gotcha, misunderstood what you were saying. I don't like the idea of giving up Markstrom for Holtz either (or Mercer), but I don't have any problem at all with guys like Haula, Palat, and of course Toffoli being in the team, despite their ages.  They're all south of 35 and I see what they being to the team. 

Meier I don't even consider "old", he's what, 28 or 29 at most?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Gotcha, misunderstood what you were saying. I don't like the idea of giving up Markstrom for Holtz either (or Mercer), but I don't have any problem at all with guys like Haula, Palat, and of course Toffoli being in the team, despite their ages.  They're all south of 35 and I see what they being to the team. 

Meier I don't even consider "old", he's what, 28 or 29 at most?

Yeah, I don’t have a problem with any of the moves to add a nice group of veterans to the team.   My point was simply that on the heals of all those moves where we added the older, more expensive players, Markstrom for Holtz and a 1st would be too much 

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

When they continue to go balls up time after time after time at home against poor teams, how is that NOT an effort issue? It’s not like all these games they outshoot teams 40-12 and lose on three bad Vitek goals despite that being the narrative for half the season. Especially doing it now when you’re on the outside of the playoff bubble 2/3 into the season.  Continually getting scored on first and having bad first periods is also more than just an indictment on the fossil coach.

Even a lot of the games they win they manage to do it off one or two moments of skill (the Luke game against Columbus for example) but they haven’t been able to sustain a stretch of playing well. I finally had some hope they were doing that after the break before they again took a step back last night against a team that’s been trash for a prolonged stretch and just lost 7-0…to Buffalo. Do better than getting outshot 23-10 or whatever it was late in the second period. We’ve lost to every crappy California team at home as well as Montreal and Columbus, among others. Last night should have been 5-1 like the Ducks game if Daws didn’t have one of the handful of best goalie games this year.

It’s fine to blame Mr. Magoo behind the bench and the crappy goalie who didn’t play last night but the other players need to take their share of heat for their underachieving this year too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

7 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Ya I saw knocks about the attendance too meanwhile our attendance has been like in the 98% capacity all season. Crowds have been amazing this season.

The attendance has been great this year, but facts won’t stop the moron Rag and Flyer fans from making their lame-ass attendance jokes they’ve been making for years. They’re hard-up for material.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Unlike Jack’s it wasn’t an accurate chirp though, just a lame one. There was a reported number of 16,105 on Thursday and it seemed like one of the least full games of the season. 

"I banged your mom" is probably almost never an accurate chirp either. It doesn't mean you can't laugh at it. People get so flustered over nothing burgers.

• Like 1