GDT - 2/25/2024 Lightning @ Devils, 1 pm, MSGSN/TNT - Lindy Overcomplicates Things

ButlerBulldog

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Just not draft picks. We don’t care about those. ;)

To be fair this is a day where I think everyone on here gets a pass…this is as sh!tty of a day as there is to be a Devils fan.  We’re all pissed as fvck and I don’t blame any of us for feeling that way.

That being said, a pick for Toffoli is realistically what we’re looking at.  He’s almost guaranteed to be a pure rental.  I’m thinking second-rounder…will be happy if it’s somehow more.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To be fair this is a day where I think everyone on here gets a pass…this is as sh!tty of a day as there is to be a Devils fan.  We’re all pissed as fvck and I don’t blame any of us for feeling that way.

That being said, a pick for Toffoli is realistically what we’re looking at.  He’s almost guaranteed to be a pure rental.  I’m thinking second-rounder…will be happy if it’s somehow more.

And then flip the second for Sharangovich. 

Sigh. 

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Right? 1 playoff round win and 2 playoff appearances since the 2012 playoffs ended but yeah man lets get snarky about not giving a sh!t about fvcking draft picks that won't even be that high anyway since we are a mid team. 

And as for the goalies…they were playing for extensions, to show that they could either maintain or build off last season.  Obviously that didn’t happen.  Fitz had reasons to stick with them this season, but not next season.  Someone new will be manning the pipes next year, with the idea that he’s absolutely a #1-type.  We’ll see who it will be.  Won’t shock me if it’s Saros.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's February 25th and the season just ended. Since you're so cute with the emojis here's one for you too 🤡

Listen, I know that emotions are raw, and tensions, high because of this afternoon’s loss, but let’s not behave like Rangers fans.  I’ve enjoyed my interactions with almost everyone here, even when we vehemently disagree, and would hate to see anyone banned from or otherwise leave the board because of bickering and infighting.  Thanks!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Left with about 8 mins left in the third; just couldn’t take it anymore and there was no reason to believe a magical comeback was in the wings.

Right now it’s about getting something decent back for Toffoli.  And FFS, now that there’s truly nothing to lose, might as well get Holtz Top 6 minutes from here on out and see how it goes.

I was hoping for better but this game was about par for the course this year.  Whoever the next coach is, I think it needs to be someone who’s far from warm and fuzzy but knows his sh!t and demands accountability across the board.

And yeah, if it’s better to shut Jack and Timo down, go ahead and do it.  No reason to force anything; there’s nothing left to gain.  Season just ended.

You, me and pretty much anyone else might think the bolded is a good idea, but Lindy? I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

Just now, Aitchmack said:

You, me and pretty much anyone else might think the bolded is a good idea, but Lindy? I'm not holding my breath.

I’m hoping with Toffoli out of the mix via trade that his hand will be forced.

As of now every minute should be spent on shaping up the 2024-25 team.  This year’s results no longer matter.  

• Like 3

Just now, Aitchmack said:

Unless Holtz gives less than his best effort in practice or otherwise has a bad attitude, it doesn’t make sense that Lindy would continue to curtail his minutes like this, as he’s clearly capable of helping the team win, and he’s at a point in his career where he’s unlikely to learn much by simply watching his teammates.  If Jack is going to play out the string, why not put Holtz next to him and see if the combination has long-term potential?  The pair will likely have some issues defensively, but given the myriad problems for the Devils on that end, it’s not as though reworking one line will suddenly create a new area of weakness.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smelly said:

TNT Postgame in a nutshell:

Saying the goaltending isn't up to par. And mgt needs to address it to show the players they're committed to winning. And the players are having to guess which is leading to worse D.

You and I both (and EVERYONE) know management is content with punting this season. They’re riding the excuse train heavily and using that as the root cause of this failure. 

it’s why we haven’t pulled the trigger on a trade, it’s why Ruff and Rogalski are still here, etc.

Fitz is content

• Like 2

Setting aside G, Fitz’s most significant misstep this year was woefully undervaluing the importance of team speed to last year’s success. 

Wood, Tatar, Boquist, Rango et al all had their warts, but they were relentless and allowed the Devils to wear teams down even when they knew what was coming and even given the flaws in the system.   

And it is now apparent that Fitz should have known he was going to lose MM at some point also. 

Literally every single replacement is slower, and this team is a shell of itself as a result. Much, much easier to play against — same strategy with less appropriate personnel.

More homework for the summer. 

Edited by smelly
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's February 25th and the season just ended. Since you're so cute with emojis here's one for you too 🤡

Thanks bud, appreciate it. 

Anyway, as far as the pick not being that high? The Devils would currently be picking 13th if the season ended today. That’s a pretty high. And if they trade Toffoli and truly concede the rest of the season it could be even higher. 

Some notable 13th overall picks in the last 10 years or so:

Seth Jarvis

Nick Suzuki

Spencer Knight 

Josh Morrisey

3 of those guys are already very good players. And Knight was one of the top goalie prospects in years. 

They could get a big piece at 13. 

• Like 3

One thing that I think Fitz lost with his players this season was some faith and trust.  I’m sure a number of them are shocked that Fitz didn’t manage any moves at all.

Doesn’t mean that faith and trust can’t be restored, but yeah, there’s issues that Fitz is absolutely going to have to address this offseason.  He’s going to harshly criticized and under the microscope for sure. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Just now, Nicomo said:

Thanks bud, appreciate it. 

Anyway, as far as the pick not being that high? The Devils would currently be picking 13th if the season ended today. That’s a pretty high. And if they trade Toffoli and truly concede the rest of the season it could be even higher. 

Some notable 13th overall picks in the last 10 years or so:

Seth Jarvis

Nick Suzuki

Spencer Knight 

Josh Morrisey

3 of those guys are already very good players. And Knight was one of the top goalie prospects in years. 

They could get a big piece at 13. 

Nick Suzuki looks like he has a bright future ahead of him.  I don’t watch the Canadiens much, but when I have seen them, he’s usually played a solid all-around game.

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I used a lot of mine early, not in any way thinking there was a way I wouldn't renew, but between this team's gutlessness, lack of accountability and the dumbass overreach of a ticket hike I definitely have sellers' remorse now, I'll have to hold out on using them next year, and the damn buybacks are usually the biggest selling point since it helps me shed the crap games without worrying about trying to get twenty cents on the dollar

How are the other people around you dealing with the increase? This is the kind of stuff I wish we had a more European aspect to our fan culture in the US. People would be protesting this kind of sh!t elsewhere. Just canceling wouldn't be the only option.

• Like 1

Fitz had no backup plan for VV/Schmid. Big mistake.

Fitz had no answer when we all saw that Luke couldn’t quarterback the powerplay and provided no replacement for the ineffective Brendan Smith. He failed the defense all year and wasted Dougie’s LTIR cap space.

Fitz has not provided adequate depth or physicality for this squad.

Fitz has failed to address the fans and has failed all of us with his continued sticking of Ruff.

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

It’s actually more tame than I expected. 

Unlike Dua Lipa, that dude is definitely not levitating anytime soon…